Waging war on cow elk?

hossblur

Long Time Member
Was bumping around DWR site and saw this.

2000 cow tags just on private on Wasatch alone?
IMG20230709060129.jpg

That unit has too many elk and has for a few years. Then when the shooting starts they all head for private land.
This is the best way to fix the problem - that area can stand to lose 1k cow elk no problem.

wow max. I don’t know what rock you been hiding under. I’d pay you 500 hundred dollars if you could show me even 500 head on the Wasatch let alone have enough to kill 1,000 cows.

wow max. I don’t know what rock you been hiding under. I’d pay you 500 hundred dollars if you could show me even 500 head on the Wasatch let alone have enough to kill 1,000 cows. You white guys are nuts.
I'm good friends with one of the wardens in the Wasatch area. As of December, when I talked to him last, he said a total population of 10k elk for the Wasatch "is a very conservative number."

Basically in line with what the states population estimates were around 2021 too.

I'm good friends with one of the wardens in the Wasatch area. As of December, when I talked to him last, he said a total population of 10k elk for the Wasatch "is a very conservative number."

Basically in line with what the states population estimates were around 2021 too.
One way to keep those 1000+ elk off his property is to let people hunt there. Instead of charging $1000 -$2000 to hunt a freaking cow elk.

What we need to know is the success rate. Now that its mandatory reporting on antlerless hunts, they should have better data. They could issue 10,000 private land tags but it wouldn't mean anything to the actual elk because there has been nothing done to address access to those elk living on private lands.

That unit has too many elk and has for a few years. Then when the shooting starts they all head for private land.
This is the best way to fix the problem - that area can stand to lose 1k cow elk no problem.
Giving more permits to private land people is never a good thing just lets people with money hunt

I wish they would make landowners give these tags to public people and not be able to charge 1000 dollars to kill them. If ranchers where having so many problems with them you think they would be happy to have people come in and shoot them. But its all about money.
Agree, but a gov't agency price-fixing isn't ideal either. If they allotted a larger amount of landowner cow tags, an exorbitant amount like 2000 tags for just one season, would it help to bring the cost down based simply on supply/demand principles.
If 2k tags are issued between 8-10 big private landowners it gives the public more ability to "shop around". Whoever sells them for the lowest amount will have more hunters removing excess elk on their land....

Agree, but a gov't agency price-fixing isn't ideal either. If they allotted a larger amount of landowner cow tags, an exorbitant amount like 2000 tags for just one season, would it help to bring the cost down based simply on supply/demand principles.
If 2k tags are issued between 8-10 big private landowners it gives the public more ability to "shop around". Whoever sells them for the lowest amount will have more hunters removing excess elk on their land....
wish it was you hunt for free or they can eat all your fields kind of thing I'm sure they wouldn't be bitchin near as much

Last edited:
The entire goal of this hunt is to push elk back onto public lands as they’ve learned to run for the private.

I have absolutely no clue if it’s working, but that is the goal. Without this hunt you’ll have thousands of elk untouchable by the public holed up on the larger tracts of private contained within the Wasatch unit.

Hey Niller!

It Ain't Just The Wasatch!

If You Were Getting Your Ass Pushed Around/Hunted 24/7/And Shot At No Matter Which Direction You Ran,Where Would You Be Holed Up At?

The entire goal of this hunt is to push elk back onto public lands as they’ve learned to run for the private.

I have absolutely no clue if it’s working, but that is the goal. Without this hunt you’ll have thousands of elk untouchable by the public holed up on the larger tracts of private contained within the Wasatch unit.

Hey Niller!

It Ain't Just The Wasatch!

If You Were Getting Your Ass Pushed Around/Hunted 24/7/And Shot At No Matter Which Direction You Ran,Where Would You Be Holed Up At?
Ya its sad to see. People shed hunt 4 months and they get hunted 6 months then all there winter range is being developed they have no chance.

It's not just the Wasatch.

Look at the other units. That's a ton of tags, combined with other anterless tags

I will reply to the 500 cow tags on the east canyon unit. This unit had all the elk down in the city on parleys. Many elk were hit by vehicles. It was a mess. I called DWR and asked for a depredation permit and received a solid NO. Depredation permits would have surely helped put some pressure on the elk. The winter was horrible and those elk needed some feed which could have happenned for emergencies like this……..
I did a spring elk count as the snow melted. I found 5 elk total but lots and lots of carcasses driving the entire boundary. I consider myself pretty good at spotting and know where the elk are. I can normally find 100-200.

But this unit has 500 cow elk tags and 6 months to hunt it……….
I hope the biologist have recommendations but I’m sure $$$ drive the need for all those tags. And I hope there’s 1000 elk somewhere on that unit that I couldn’t find.

This unit is another example of piss poor management by Utah DWR.
I hope other units did better.

I mentioned the Wasatch as that is what was pointed out specifically.

And I’ll never understand how people think the tag numbers are intended to be a money grab by the DWR. Those 2k permits on the Wasatch won’t cover the cost for a single FTE. People need to wake up to the realities.

I mentioned the Wasatch as that is what was pointed out specifically.

And I’ll never understand how people think the tag numbers are intended to be a money grab by the DWR. Those 2k permits on the Wasatch won’t cover the cost for a single FTE. People need to wake up to the realities.
What do we need to wake up to?

I wish they would make landowners give these tags to public people and not be able to charge 1000 dollars to kill them. If ranchers where having so many problems with them you think they would be happy to have people come in and shoot them. But its all about money.
You should see Nevada's depredation elk tags east of Elko. All the land owners piss and moan about elk so the state issues public draw tags. But then those same landowners won't let guys cross their property to get to said elk.

FTE = Full. Time. Employee.

People on this forum in particular for some reason think increasing tags a couple thousand is some golden goose for the Division. I guess you might be buying them lunch at a single staff meeting that is less than $14 per person.

Wow, what a deal! They are certainly in it for the money, no doubt.

I'd Bet For The Most Part Them Lunches Ain't Running 14.00 F'N Dollars!

People on this forum in particular for some reason think increasing tags a couple thousand is some golden goose for the Division. I guess you might be buying them lunch at a single staff meeting that is less than $14 per person.

The money this state brings in on tags is ridiculous. Where is the money going? We need to take the government out of our wildlife and go back to it being run by the state!!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom