Wagonhound Ranch

chipc

Very Active Member
I just watched Bill and Tyler Jordan bow hunt the Wagonhound. Quite frankly I was surprised at the size - or lack thereof - of the bulls. I'm pretty sure they took the Jordans to the honey holes with the knowledge that they'd be on TV. Of the dozens of bulls they showed there was one 7 point that might have made 350. He was by far the biggest. Almost all of the others were in that 270 -310 range. Don't get me wrong. Those are really nice bulls and it looked like an awesome hunt. However, with the reputation the place has and the $$$$ it cost to hunt there I was expecting to see something different. Interesting.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-15 AT 08:36PM (MST)[p]That is interesting when I read about how much they charge to hunt the supposedly great big bulls touted to be on that ranch!

I also saw it tonight and thought the same thing. I've seen other hunts there that did have some bigger ones taken but I think they did mention they had 3 days to hunt so perhaps not much time to locate some bigger bulls. I'd also expect better bulls for the prices they charge.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-15 AT 10:04PM (MST)[p]The wagon hound has plenty of huge bulls and plenty of land to hunt. They are currently buying a 45,000 acres ranch that borders the wagon hound. It won't be long and the wagon hound will own most of area 7.

Saw some video the other day of a 368 bull that was taken in area 7 on a ranch not far from the Wagonhound.

Maybe the Jordon's only paid (or were donated) for an average bull. It's hard to say with the celebrity hunters what all was going on.

I looked into it. seems the tea and crumpets were more important than the size of the elk.

Nice bulls, but not for that kind of coin.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I don't understand how the Jordans can hunt Wagonhound every year when it takes near max points to draw a unit 7 tag.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-15 AT 05:24AM (MST)[p]Commissioner tags. . . That would be the only other legal way. And, hey, what's another 12k on top of the outfitted price?

In reference to the OP, there are some outstanding bulls on the Wagonhound, and unit wide in general, but very few will surpass 350". . .

So if you're going to buy a commissioners tag why not go on one of the late hunts around Cody where you could get a much better bull for less money? unless you want the tea and crumpets.

Like I said it didn't make sense to me how the Wagonhound gets away with what they do.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

They have a boatload of land that is relatively easy to access by comparison of the areas you mention. And the accommodations by all accounts are beyond comfortable. Not everyone is after a B&C bull or nothing . . . "To each his own", as they say.

I think the television hunters shoot the animal they can get the best video of not necessarily the biggest animal. There isn't any show if they can't get it on video. So if there isn't enough light for the camera or the cameraman can't get on it they don't shoot.

A television doesn't necessarily represent the animals that are there.

How do you know the Wagonhound isn't picking up part or all of the cost on the commissioner's tags as well as giving away the hunts? The cost of all of that would qualify as a business expense. If the Wagonhound was spending $25k for tags and giving away a couple hunts while generating $50k or more in new business via the show, they're still making money.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-15 AT 05:31PM (MST)[p]My wife and I have been fortunate enough to have hunted late season cows on the Wagonhound 6 of the last 10 years. The first few years, anyone with a tag could reserve an open date and the outfitting staff would even help with the hunt. After some slob hunters disobeyed the ranch rules, public access was denied. Now, the only way to get on the ranch for an unguided cow hunt is by knowing someone on the staff.

We have been on hunts where only 2 or 3 dozen head are seen during the day and on others where 500+ head is the norm! We have observed many 300"-330"ish bulls but nothing that we would be willing to pay their asking price for. I do know that several 350"+ animals are harvested every year though.

Besides the Jordon's, Richard Childress and some of his Sprint Cup drivers hunt there most years.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom