Wall Tent Camping

I bet there are a lot of guys on this site that do quite a bit of this during the hunting seasons. I picked up a tent last summer and will be using it this fall. Any tips and tricks to make the trip more enjoyable? Anything I can absolutely not forget? Any pics of your set up would be awesome.

+1 tarps on the floor and roof, and a wood burnin stove! If your gas cook stove gives you issues you can always cook on the wood burner, and there's no better heat than wood heat and it's layin around everywhere!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-16 AT 05:26PM (MST)[p]Another for tarps and carpet.
Also get some of those collapsible shelves that you can tie to your frame.

And some S hooks to hang wet clothes and your lantern from.

If you need a quick hot! fire fill your stove with kindling
It'll almost dance right out of the tent once it gets going.

>Make sure you have at least
>one old man with you.
>They have to pee a
>lot and will stoke the
>fire.

Sound wisdom!

Whatever's handy and dry. Been burnin mainly aspen lately as that's what's laying around the campsite.

Pre-drill your stovepipe sections for sheet metal screws and screw them together once you get it set up. The wind can have her way with that pipe.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-16 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]Stakes.
Stakes.
Stakes.

There are lots of soil types, some stakes perform well in sandy soil, some in rocky soil, some in clay type soil.

Snow load pulls on stakes differently than wind does.

Having a variety of types of stakes in different lengths means you have the right stake for the soil type, and the weather conditions.

Lots of guys just have one type of stake, but I can tell you, stake options matter if you use your tent in multiple types of situations.

There is NOTHING worse than coming back to your camp and finding that the wind caught those big, flat, heavy, canvas walls, pulled some stakes, and collapsed the entire thing.

All your gear inside blew all over the woods, and if your stove was hot, it burned a hole in the canvas.

51291bannerguidetent.jpg

I know thats an advertisement, but the concept is still the same. You want your tent standing when you get back.

Stakes.
Stakes.
Stakes.

Like others have said, carpet. My favorite thing about my set up is the porch, it keeps the wood somewhat dry and gives some shelter if you want to sit out of the sun or rain.

4427012832319102072039846767965556690002850065253n.jpg

carpet is a must.
tarps for over top of tent roof. Makes snow slide off a lot easier and also the tents will soak through after a while with lots of rain.

I wouldn't use wood, takes long time to get going and long time to cool down. Propane is instant heat and instant cool down. Would not waste time with wood. Plus dealing with embers and stove pipe. No thanks, not worth effort. Want to have a fire build one in fire ring outside where you can actually enjoy it.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I use wood. I have spent a week in a wall tent at temperatures well bellow zero. In one week we burned a full cord of wood. I usually bring the wood with me so I don't use any time of the hunt gathering wood. For me it is just part of it. Tarps over the top are a must. Mine goes well beyond the side walls to give place along the side of the tent for coolers and wood out of the weather. Home away from home.

DZ

If you are putting tent/frame up alone, build the roof part of the frame, put tent over that, then pick up each side and add the legs (sidewall risers). My setup has an 18' tarp over a 10x12 tent, so 6' of overhang for cooking, storage, shade. Tarp and tent lines can share a sturdy stake along sidewalls. Paint stakes w bright colors, use bright colored rope for tie-outs.

Floor is a tarp w carpet down the middle, between cots. I use a Coleman kerosene 2-mantle lantern for light, it adds enough heat for Sept in CO. Actual heater is a propane tank-top unit, turned off @ night. Wood would be nicer, but I'm tired when I'm in the tent, I prefer simple. Since my door sides don't overlap I hang a quilt or blanket from the frame right inside the door, as a "storm door" that also adds warmth. I use space under cots for storage of clothes, boots, guns, whatever fits.

A shallow trench around tent perimeter is insurance for floor staying dry in heavy downpour.

Tarp over the top that overhangs both sides. Like stated above, it makes for a good, dry storage area for cooler and such. I grew up with wood heat, so a wood stove is my choice for heat. It's cheap and provides a good dry heat that can mean the difference between comfy and miserable in less than ideal conditions. Make sure the chimney is higher than any part of the tent, this makes the stove draft better and lessens the chance for sparks to land on your tent. If you are using a spark arrestor, after 2 or 3 days you'll need to clean your chimney. I usually will just break a green limb off a tree and run it through the chimney. A tarp or carpet on the floor and a good trench on the outside perimeter.

My tent stove vents out the wall at a diagonal, and I have found that a good wind can work the pipes loose at the stove itself. Definitely secure the chimney pipes with screws, and then use fiberglass rope to fasten the chimney to something that will keep it from jumping up and around.

build a dirt berm outside of the walls of the tent(keeps running water out).......bring close hangers to hang wet clothes on for drying inside.......and what the other MMers said

If you are setting up camp near where you can park a truck I'd suggest bringing a nice oversized cot and sleeping pad. I also use metal pipe frame and a 5' x 6' welders blanket to construct a protective barrier between my tent wall and the stove (alaknak tent). I also put down a welders blanket under my wood stove as my tent has a floor.

Nobody has mentioned the most important cot warmer...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/squirrel046/pets/IMG_3747.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/squirrel046/pets/IMG_1235.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

and a proper tent packer...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/squirrel046/llamas/IMG_3725.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Your camp using a wall tent has to vary from the truck camp scenes if you take it to the back country, not Spartan but some of the "necessities" posted above are not even close to "necessary", but why not if you can drive there.

Take your time and set up a good solid camp in a protected area with a huge supply of wood cut way short and split twice as small as you would like to think is needed. Do a little shoveling to level things up if needed.

I have lived in a wall tent for about 5-7 months out of the year for the last four years. I think having a heavy rubberized sew-in floor helps a lot for keeping out mice, insects, snakes, etc. I don't cook inside my tent, it keeps food odors outside, and avoids attracting animals. A wood stove is a great asset, and I really enjoy the heat from a good Woodstock fire. Always place your stovepipe on leeward side when you setup your tent, this will avoid back drafting if you get high winds. Re tighten your tent stake ropes after the first day.
Make sure your tent is dry before you store it for the season, this means no dew/moisture. Enjoy your camping.

When camping next to the road I use a plywood floor with carpet on it, run the plywood a few feet out front of the tent to kick off muddy boots really helps keeping thing clean inside.
I always take some dry wood with me in case I get there and the wood is all wet.
Dry storage is always a plus. tarp your riding machine at night keeps the seat dry for he early morning ride.
Leave you hunting weapons out in the truck at night.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Separate tarped area nearby for more gear, [folding picnic table, stove (charcoal but BE CAREFUL - USE CO detector).

Cabelas cots and pads (AWESOME). Folding chair. Dead 6x6 by the front door. SHADE during midday (harder to get then you think). Solar shower.

I love the carpet in my tent. We also use some coal in the stove burns longer and really keeps the chill off at night.

We love the wall tents. The Alaknak from Cabelas is tough to beat. We pack in on horses on the Wasatch and stay for a week. Cooking ribeye and onions on the wood stove. Makes for a great week. Finally, when it rains or snows in the backcountry, we are sitting on a foam pad cooking steak with a smile. ;)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom