Wall Tent help??

AWHOLELOTTABULL

Long Time Member
I have done a lot of research on this one and I am looking at getting several wall tents. Does anyone have any dos & don't they want to share? Definately want floors. What type of frame, stove, etc, would you suggest. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It's always an adventure!!!

I would add a window or two for ventilation, they can get pretty warm even during the winter. I'm not sold on floors in wall tents, I use tarps, they are easier to clean that way. Make sure it has storm flaps at the door. If you have a zipper on the door make sure you have some way to secure the door if the zipper fails. I had the maker add four straps and fastex buckles on my storm flaps inside and out. Add a strap and buckle at the corners of the door wall so you have some way to hold your door open. I also like two doors that way if a bear comes in one you can run out the other. I use a Cylinder stove Outfitter model, it works great but is quite heavy for packing. I make my own frames using 1/2" electrical conduit for the walls and 1 3/8" material for the ridge. They are easy to make and cost around $125. If you're interested in how I make my frames give me a call 801-550-4973.
Wes

Internal frame, window= both good ideas. I DON'T like 2 doors personally. People will try to come in go both ways and you lose room. Shoot the damn bear. I pull a tarp over my tent on almost every hunt, even in warm weather. The tarp is oversized, provides overhang so snow doesn't sit against the walls unless its deep and helps the snow slide off.

x-2 on the no floor use tarps,, in bad rain storm water will flow under tent..
and ALWAYS make sure tent is bone dry before storage..

1 door, two 2 windows works the best Internal frame. I use straw for the floor. Keeps it warm and cleaner than the tarp.

Will you be packing them in or using them where vehicles may access? My wall tents are both 1 door with a window at the opposite end. I dislike floors. I use a tarp, if packing in. When I am at the truck, then I use a simple 2x4 floor with pieces of wafer attached. The floor can be assembled in less than 15 minutes and disassembled just as fast. I imagine you will be using 4 tents to guide from. I would go with no floor. I like my 10x12 for 3 guys and my 12x16 for 5 guys with the 10x12 set up for kitchen, and play.

Kirkhams in Slc will make you a tent to your specs. They are great to work with. They make a removable floor that works good. PM me if you want to make your own frame, that works good also, but is heavy. Talk to Todd down there and he will take good care of you....KW

Thanks guys for the information. You guys confirmed some of my concerns with the floor. I hadn't thought about Kirkhams trannyman. I will call them. What's a good price for a whole setup, i.e., stove, frame, canvas. I have seen them from $1100 to $1900. 10-20 oz canvas has been the common weights of the canvas. Should I get the heavier canvas or will the 10 oz work?

It's always an adventure!!!

I am also in the process of getting a tent. Read this link about the fabric.Heavier is not always better,make sure you get sunforger canvis....Other good info on this site as well.....

http://www.davistent.com/html/CanvasInformation.html

horsepoop.gif

I had mine made with 12 oz. Sunforger. It's a stronger material then the single fill canvas and it's mildew resistent. Also dosen't shrink as much. Check out Cylinder Stoves in Cedar City or Dave Ellis in Colorado they make a great tent, Dave used to make tents for cylinder stoves so thier designs are the same . I paid $770 for a 15'X 18' from Dave Ellis, $385 for my cylinder stove and built my frame for $125. My frame is the same as the A frame that cylinder stoves sells for $322. I like the A frame style better for uneven ground
Wes

The thing I did on the tent I am using now is a roof pitch of 6-12. That way the water and snow runs off very fast. My newest tent is 9" X 12', internal electric conduit frame and I got my angled joints from quick kamp in Oregon. No floor, I use a tarp. When I drive to my camp site I use a 22,000btu propane stove, with a modusnap valve (the unit cycles on and off with no electricy and vent out a 5" double wall flu pipe. Whem I pack it I use a riley wood stove. Good Luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom