Want to buy. Browning HighWall 45-70

2lumpy

Long Time Member
Been wanting one for years, based on the price I’m ready to make a purchase. If you have one to sell, please let me know. I watch GunBroker so no need to forward adds posted there.

Thanks.

I did BC but $3,199.00 makes it an investment piece and I’m not interested in it as an investment.

My Grandfather brought an original with him when he moved from Utah to Alberta in 1898. I want one to leave in his memory for my family to pass down through future generations. I used to fondle the original but it was left with a family member that allowed it to rust out until it was hardly identifiable…… I’m not even sure who, if anyone, has it now. Water under the bridge.

Thanks for looking out me…….. I’m hoping some MM member has one that has lost its luster for them and wants to sell it for lack of interest.

You looking for an original?
The Browning 1885 BPCR are pretty nice. Too heavy to carry around on most hunts, but fun to shoot. Can shoot smokeless in them also.

Thanks elkantlers. Those two are more along the lines I’m looking for. I’m hoping I can find one with a hooked stock but not sure if that will even be possible, made by Browning.

Lump, I sure like my petite little 1885 .243. But, it is a VERY shiny and highly finished rifle. Im sure glad I bought it before they were stupid expensive.

I sure like those case hardened Winchester 1885’s too.

So I understand what you mean about a showpiece. I want you to know if you end up with a fancy one, I will step up and offer to shoot the new out of it for you.

Good luck and enjoy what is sure to be a fun buying experience!

You looking for an original?
The Browning 1885 BPCR are pretty nice. Too heavy to carry around on most hunts, but fun to shoot. shoot smokeless in them also.
Hi LIK2, I wish I could afford an original but not gonna happen. They say Browning only sold around 550 of them and some of those may have been the LowWall. So……. a more modern Hiwall made by Browning is what I’ll have to settle for……… unless you know of an original waaaaaaaay under priced.😁

If can’t find a Browning with a hooked stock, I’ll settle for a Winchester. I’d prefer a Browning stamp on it but I also want the original look……… if that makes sense.

Lump, I sure like my petite little 1885 .243. But, it is a VERY shiny and highly finished rifle. Im sure glad I bought it before they were stupid expensive.

I sure like those case hardened Winchester 1885’s too.

So I understand what you mean about a showpiece. I want you to know if you end up with a fancy one, I will step up and offer to shoot the new out of it for you.

Good luck and enjoy what is sure to be a fun buying experience!
Thanks blue. I am enjoying it already. I really like the old Winchester and Browning firearms in general and but the connect to my Grandfather makes this especially fun and a little exciting, if I dare admit that sort of thing.😁

The two old men I give credit to for my deer hunting passion carried old, shiny, very worn 1894 Winchester 30-30s. I spent 35 years coveting one, and finally found one made in 1907, in a take down model. The price and my budget finally lined up and I joyfully take it out from time to time, and fire a few rounds through it, just to refresh my memories of those two gentlemen. Then it’s time, one of my family will inherit it, along with the reason I own it…… so the legacy can live on.

I know it’s an additional cost but you can always change out the buttstock. Maybe recoup some of the cost by selling the one on it.

IMG_3531.png

You may already be watching this also. But Guns International is another place to watch

IMG_3532.png

Something about the old single shot rifles. Years ago I had a subscription to a magazine about single shot rifles. They made some fine pieces of art in the old days.

Thanks again LIK2, I saved a copy of the Midwest Gum Works web sight for possible need at a later day.

Here’s the one I really want, but $17,000.00 is way more than my passion can compete with. Still trying to rack my brain around the ramrod. I know it used black powder cartridges but why a ramrod……. For cleaning maybe???? Anyone else know why?

6E5B44FE-99D0-4BE1-9DC0-8BE9FE3CE267.jpeg
A5FCD17C-0C80-4246-ADA6-D480AF79453F.jpeg
C4D9193C-309A-471C-B328-AADEF0576F0D.jpeg
1E2E1D82-F5F2-47A1-B2E6-C328B2AB5BB5.jpeg
5961F021-8051-4BB8-B66E-C23EE4B2A298.jpeg
16EC36F1-A59C-46A7-B652-581E1449F5DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow the angle he’s hold it at is unreal, no wonder it’s taking 15 minutes to hear it hit the gong.

It was my understanding when I bought the Marlin Ballard, they were considered a target rifle. Mine was chambered for the .44-40 Winchester.

You'll Have To Hurry On This One Lumpy!

If You Look Close Around The Rear Sight Looks To Be Some Light Rust?

Ya but……. Wouldn’t it be fun to own that one…….. However……. wouldn’t it be more fun to have the kind of money that would allow you to buy that rusted out piece of North American sport hunting history and not miss the $17,000. I’d love it, but there would have to be a grizzly standing inside my front door, like HunterHarry was standing in his, first.

One must know their limits………..😁😁

That’s a lot of money, if I was your son, I would rather have your favorite pocket knife than an old rifle that really had nothing to do with you.

We all see things from our position on the ridge.

My son isn’t going to get that $17,000 or a grizzly mount, or the old original 1885……… however all three sons will get: one of my favorite rifles, at least one of my favorite knives, my black bear, and whatever money my property is worth in cash……… so I’m not laying awake nights worrying about it……… but if I had my rathers…….. I‘d rather own the original than a later made Browning 1885…….. and I’ll also take make sure my sons and daughters will have plenty of pocket knives ……….. with my finger prints worn into them too.

If you do decide to invest in an old one get the Blue Book of Gun Values”. Has a lot of good information. They also have an antique version. Any thing old enough to of been shot with black powder should really be examined thoroughly. Especially the bore. People do little hacks to old guns that deplete the value, but they still want top dollar. Might even be able to find an old timer locally that has a lot of knowledge on the rifles you are looking for to help check the gun over before you purchase it.

If you do decide to invest in an old one get the Blue Book of Gun Values”. Has a lot of good information. They also have an antique version. Any thing old enough to of been shot with black powder should really be examined thoroughly. Especially the bore. People do little hacks to old guns that deplete the value, but they still want top dollar. Might even be able to find an old timer locally that has a lot of knowledge on the rifles you are looking for to help check the gun over before you purchase it.
Great advice LIK2, but I won’t be buying an antique 1885, I was just posting those picture cuz someone asked if I was looking for an original. I just shared the price and a cool looking onez…….. and said, no…… but I like to…….

You are absolutely right though, old black powder weapons……… most likely would not make very good shooters, due to corrosion. That could very well be the reason my Grandfathers was in such terrible condition…. when I last saw it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom