Warden shoots a neighbor's dog

Damn. $4K puppy gone.
balloon.jpg

That Dept. of agriculture code that was mentioned in the news article gives the livestock owner the legal right to shoot and kill any dog that is attacking his livestock, including chickens. It also says that the livestock owner CAN NOT be held liable for any criminal action or civil action for killing the dog. The dog owner can be sued for any damage to the livestock.
I used to carry copies of that agriculture code to hand our in our rural area due to many complaints of loose dogs attacking livestock. It stop a lot of dog owners letting their dogs run loose after finding out their dogs could be shot legally.
RELH

CA Food & Agri Code § 31102 (2017)
Except in an area in which the provisions of Article 2 (commencing with Section 31151) of this chapter apply or as otherwise provided in Section 31104, any person may kill any dog in any of the following cases:

(a) The dog is found in the act of killing, wounding, or persistently pursuing or worrying livestock or poultry on land or premises which are not owned or possessed by the owner of the dog.

(b) The person has such proof as conclusively shows that the dog has been recently engaged in killing or wounding livestock or poultry on land or premises which are not owned or possessed by the dog’s owner.

No action, civil or criminal, shall be maintained for the killing of any such dog.

(Enacted by Stats. 1967, Ch. 15.)

Last edited:
I agree with you RELH but he could have just walked over and grabbed the little puppy. It's not like it was a rabid 50 pound Pitbull. I'm also good with how he handled it. I'm also glad he's getting raked over the coals.

Eel if it would have been me, I would not shoot a dog in front of a child for attacking a chicken. He could have walked over and kicked the dog loose from the chicken and then warned the owners the dog would be shot if it does it again.
Most folks that allow their dog run loose were transplants from the city to a rural country area and felt the dog had the right to run loose in the wide open spaces from my experience as a patrol officer.

RELH

I actually had several cows wondered on my property. Couple pitbulls as well. Didn't even once think about shooting them.

You must be one tough SOB to shoot a 10lb puppy. Don't want to mess with that tough guy.

I actually get along quite well with most of my cowboy neighbors and don't worry about them shooting my 2 dogs (who have run wild here for several generations).

My nuanced point is that times are a changing and it's only a matter of time until this livestock-centric legacy changes. Dumb azzes shooting pets only accelerates it.

I have had trespassing cows do considerable damage to my property. The joys of living in a "fence out" state.

I actually get along quite well with most of my cowboy neighbors and don't worry about them shooting my 2 dogs (who have run wild here for several generations).

My nuanced point is that times are a changing and it's only a matter of time until this livestock-centric legacy changes. Dumb azzes shooting pets only accelerates it.

I have had trespassing cows do considerable damage to my property. The joys of living in a "fence out" state.

Hey Blue, about twenty years ago half dozen of my neighbors longhorns kept getting out. They'd make a mess of my hay stack, punch holes in my neighbors winter wheat. Called the brand inspector to see what I and my other neighbors could do. He said he'd gotten a lot of complaints about em and to gather em up the next time they were in my hay pile. Few weeks later they were back. Saddled my pony and got the cows into the corral. The bull cleared a 4 strand, 4ft tall wire fence and never left a hair. The neighbor that was workin the gate was cussing me for lettin the bull get away. I promised him he wouldn't leave his cows and he didn't. Was pretty easy to get him in the corral with his cows. Called the brand inspector told him we had em corralled. Half hour later he pulls up with a stock trailer, loads em up and runs em thru the local sale barn. Gave the owner the check for his cows and never heard another word about it! ???

Eel I had a idiot neighbor that allowed his chickens run loose. The hens and a rooster would come over to my yard and the damn rooster would crow right below our deck every morning at around 5:00 A.M.
After the fourth time, the hens made it back safe to home, the rooster did not. A quite 22 short takes care on many problems. Coyotes finally got the hens that he allowed to run loose.

RELH

There's times a dog needs killed. Lots of reasons for it. Then, there's times a dog shouldn't be killed. mtmuley
I ’d shoot a dog I perceived as a threat to me or my family without a second thought, but if this little yappy dog was able to be hand tossed off the chicken, I think a swift kick or a zinged rock might have been the better decision. After reading the article again, it sounds like he had the legal high ground, but may possibly be a known jerk about town who has a little too much affection for his chickens. but he has some foo foo neighbors if they would consider buying a 4k dog that couldn't hunt ducks or retrieve pheasants all day. Thats the real crime here.

Chickens are a PITA anyway. I live out in the country myself. The city transplants are always letting their dogs run all over the place. Keep your damn dogs contained. I have 6 dogs and they never leave my 5 acres. all Hunting dogs too.

Elk Nuts, if you do not have your hunting dogs contained by a fence or kennel, you really do not know what your dogs are doing while you and the family are sleeping in the house.
I have ran across some dogs that would not leave their property during the day, but at night would roam the neighborhood and get into the neighbor's garbage cans.
RELH

Elk Nuts, if you do not have your hunting dogs contained by a fence or kennel, you really do not know what your dogs are doing while you and the family are sleeping in the house.
I have ran across some dogs that would not leave their property during the day, but at night would roam the neighborhood and get into the neighbor's garbage cans.
RELH
I know what they are doing. 2 of them are on the bed with me, One is laying on the floor next to me, One is under the covers by my feet and One is laying on my leather couch...........LOL 5 Labs and one little mix dog

I bet the little mix dog is the watch dog that lets you know when strangers are about on the property.

RELH

I had a fantastic German Shepherd. He would never leave the property unless another dog stepped on then off. Then he would leave to attack. I had to keep him in a fenced yard and in the house.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom