Warning shots....yea, right.

About 30 years ago I was visiting family on some very remote property outside of Nevada City. About 300 acres, with maybe 5 or so tree stands. One afternoon my BIL was going to town for supplies while I took a nap. I gave him $20 to get some chicken legs. When he got back, I chummed those legs about 30-40 yards from the sturdiest stand. Finished my nap, got up a couple hours later and took my AR and Kimber and went to calling.

I got no response for about 15 minutes. Then, all the birds quit chirping and I started hearing the sound of something heavy crunching on the forest floor. I gave a couple more toots on the coyote call as I slowly turned towards the sound. The footsteps got faster, then stopped.

A few seconds later I saw a long tan/brown tail twitching. Never saw the body, just about 6" of the tail.

About 30 years ago I was visiting family on some very remote property outside of Nevada City. About 300 acres, with maybe 5 or so tree stands. One afternoon my BIL was going to town for supplies while I took a nap. I gave him $20 to get some chicken legs. When he got back, I chummed those legs about 30-40 yards from the sturdiest stand. Finished my nap, got up a couple hours later and took my AR and Kimber and went to calling.

I got no response for about 15 minutes. Then, all the birds quit chirping and I started hearing the sound of something heavy crunching on the forest floor. I gave a couple more toots on the coyote call as I slowly turned towards the sound. The footsteps got faster, then stopped.

A few seconds later I saw a long tan/brown tail twitching. Never saw the body, just about 6" of the tail.
The only time I called in a coyote was when I was doing hen clucks on a turkey call. He was too fast and I never even got a shot. No turkey either.

I used to go to OK spring turkey hunting. I was carcamping and the amount of coyotes howling each night was crazy. I killed three in a few years that stalked up on me as I called. Dumped one under a tree and was going to take skull home with me a few days later. There was nothing left if that thing but some scraps of hair. Damn cannibals!

If it’s brave enough to walk toward you continuously, it’s time to forget about the “likes and subscribes,” put the phone down and preserve your life with a well placed shot. What a dumb A…

I typically don’t pack a handgun while out hiking. Made me think about how I’d react unarmed in that situation. Cat didn't seem to wanna back down.

Guess I’d have to hit it with my purse.??‍♂️

I guess he did good looking behind him. I check too, but not as often as I should as this points out. I usually check way back and not close by.

I had my scoped deer rifle at the time. He was crouched down moving towards me about 40 yards. It dawned on me that I better shoot before he charges and I can't find him in the scope.

right.....never ever was trained to spray and pray in any CCW class I've been involved in....
Who said spray and pray?
If you were trained properly you would have been taught to fire at threat until mag or cylinder is empty.
Maybe you should go back and re-read what Buck34 and Heywouldya wrote.
They understand what to do in that scenario.

I would have fired all my bullets except for one. That way when he starts eating me I can shoot myself in the head!

This story reminds me of one a few weeks ago. I was pulling down my trail camera that I had put on a fresh deer kill.. On my way out I passed a couple hiking, dude says and I quote
"Why do you carry a Pistol hiking"
My reply was " Why Dont You Have One" I got the deer in the headlights look and walked away....

Had over 100 pictures of 3 lions from that night feeding on a deer that was 50 feet from the main trail when I got home.
I hope they were lunch ???
IMAG0076.JPG

I got 15 of em in my mag. If i miss him with the first we'll consider that his warning shot.
Wes

Last edited:
I would have fired all my bullets except for one. That way when he starts eating me I can shoot myself in the head!

Sounds like my dad. We often packed out game with our Model 29's in shoulder holster rigs. He would tell my brother and I to save the last shot for us if all we did was piss off some bear trying to take our game. Better take care of business with those first 5.

I had a friend that was turkey hunting in the Yuba County foothills. He was hunkered down in some brush using his turkey call. Upon seeing a turkey approaching, he leaned forward to pick up his shotgun that was laying at his feet.
As he leaned forward, he felt something hit his shoulders. It was a young mountain lion. the lion continued over him and landed on his back a few feet in front of my friend. Upon the lion seeing the turkey was a human, the lion jumped up and ran away. Now when turkey hunting, my friend makes sure he has a tree at his back for protection.
When I lived in the Sierra foothills, the locals practiced the three "S"s, shoot, shovel and shut up when it came to mountain lions seen in the area.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom