wasatch goat help

Trail

Spent some time on the Wasatch Box Elder Peak this year looking for goats and have been surprised at how few we've seen. Feel like we've hiked and glassed most of the area and it seems the goat population is very low. There's been a small group of nannies and kids total of around 6 that we saw regularly and 3 lone billies. Over the past week they are gone! Snow does offer some camo for them but we've glassed and hiked the areas. There's not even tracks. My friend would never ask for help but with less than a week I want to see him get one. I've enjoyed learning about goats and the country they live in they have earned my respect same goes for those who have hunted them. What advise do you have for that area or goats in general? If anyone is up there this week or has seen some in the last few days I'd like to know where?

I haven't been up there this year but I used to always see goats above silver lake (the upper small lake) and also over in Mineral basin as well as the back side of Box Elder. It would be a shame for your friend to not connect.

I have a friend thats in the same boat. We've been on all sides of BE several times and nothing. Also hunted above Silver Lake with no sightings. I'm guessing the DWR moved a bunch out of this unit to stock other units. A little worried about the storm tonight and tomorrow. Good luck.

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

>I have a friend thats in
>the same boat. We've been
>on all sides of BE
>several times and nothing. Also
>hunted above Silver Lake with
>no sightings. I'm guessing the
>DWR moved a bunch out
>of this unit to stock
>other units. A little worried
>about the storm tonight and
>tomorrow. Good luck.
>
>
>"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

Holy crap! If you can't find a goat, I'd be damn worried, because I seriously doubt anyone knows that unit better than you.

I would tell you to try the Lake Hardy area. Not many Box Elder tag holders hunt over there. It worked for my daughter and I.

>I would certainly hope not, because it's the LONE PEAK unit!

Nope, it is in the Box Elder Unit, but its pretty close to the border.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom