Wasatch Muzzy ???s

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
Just found out my Dad drew this tag. Sure excited!!!

Decisions, decisions.

He's 75, gets around better than most 75 year olds, but still 75.

When we talked tonight, I suggested a guide.

Now I've had time to think. We applied for Colorado archery elk with a 66% chance of drawing. That season closes 3 days before his hunt. I see 3 options. 1) We turn in our tags if we draw Co, get to Utah early and scout for a week, 2) He hires a guide and we do the archery and just show up, 3) We change our Co. plans and go early there so we have a week before his hunt to scout.

I have concerns about a guide. I have almost no experience with one but he's had good and bad experiences. And at 75, he'll never hunt this unit again unless he's very lucky. I can't speak for him but I do know how he thinks. He'd rather us screw up the hunt than have someone else do it for us.

And I'm concerned that someone will tell us they will take his limitations into consideration but when we get there they'll expect him to cover more ground then he's capible of.

I'm thinkin some good info from MM, horses and quality glass for a week and he'll do alright.

Any suggestions????

Personally, I would go the week early. Maximize the experience, with the waiting period and draw odds, even for archery, this is once in a lifetime for him.

Scoutdog

Go with #3. Hunt CO and then spend a week scouting in UT as long as your father can hold up for that period of time.
Good luck and have fun
Jay

Concentrate on the wasatch tag and turn in colorado tags if you draw. At 75 he may be healthier than most but back to back hunts like that will exhaust a 20 year old. Don't risk it.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

well congrats to you on your success. i just got a call from utah they didnt tell me what i got drawn for but they were charging my credit card 795 dollars. thats about the only phone call wanting that money that you are glad to hear. i put in for wasatch mt muzzy elk.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-10 AT 09:20PM (MST)[p]If you come to utah bring your shotgun and dog for some forest grouse as well!

Shummy, I may just do that.

Plan is Colorado archery, the Wasatch with my Dad and then 1st rifle in Colorado with family. I already decided to bring the pup for a couple of reasons. I don't trust the family to make sure he doesn't get out and all the dangers that come with that. And just want to build on our bond, time together.

I've done a lot of solo big game hunts but like to have a dog and/or horse with me. Better company then some people I know.

I second jim Hiatt and awholelotta bull guides and outfitters. I hunted with Jim and his guides and they are first class all the way , Great people and Great Friends.

Good Luck
Bullmania

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom