Washington Blacktail

• Thread starter Oregon Fishing Guide
  • Start date
O

Oregon Fishing Guide

Hey Everyone,
I am just curious if any of you hunt the winston creek unit or up behind winlock. I grew up in Toledo and I sure miss hunting up there. We knew that country so well and took a lot of deer. Before and after Mt. St Helens blew her top. I hear that weyerhauser closed all the gates so it is a hike in only now but my gosh that would only make for more and bigger deer. There was a couple hills we hunted that had a great blood line of big bucks. I shot a 4 point on this hill in early 80s then a hunting buddy got a 4x5 on it about 4 years later there and then we took another 4point on the hill about 6 years after that and when you put all these racks up to each other you can sure see thta they are all related. There were a couple spots like that.

Anyway, I guess I am just reminiscing tonight and was wondering if any of you hunt there and if so how are you doing.

Talk to you later, Jon

I met a guy down at the gym where I work who has hunted this unit. Personally I have never hunted it or anywhere around it. Weyerhauser is starting to close her land in alot of places, not that this is bad by anymeans. My friend has taken a couple of nice bucks down that way but closer to the Lewis county unit I think. I'll be sure to ask him next time I see him and get some details. Jordan

Jon,
I have never hunted that unit but I've worked in there a little bit. Much of the unit is behind closed gates now, except for the state land. It does make it hard to access a lot of the unit. Did you mostly hunt the western side of the unit? That's the part that I'm familiar with. I know that it does get hit pretty hard during elk season.

Hey Guys,
Yes it was the west side of winston creek that I hunted. We hunted off of all the 1800 and 1900 roads. With those gates closed I'l bet there are some awesome bucks in there. There were so many logging roads that a lot of hunters would just road hunt the whole area. We hunted that area for so many years so we knew the canyons that were hid and a few of them were always full of deer and elk. I'll bet the elk herds have grown in good numbers also. We ran a lot of bear with hounds up there too. I called a old buddy yesterday to see how they did and he took another very good 4 point and he said that he didn't have to go far. He said he didn't see another person hiking in there. Boy,would I like to spend a week up there. His daughter lives right at the enterance of the 1800 road.

I also worked up there my younger years. When you graduated from high school it was just a right of massage to adulthood to work in the woods logging.

Well I will talk to you later. Keep a tight line, Jon

Thanks for the info on the Winston Unit. I am moving out of my house later this month and in the search of a new area to hunt. I am moving up to Olympia so I will be closer to the more southern units. I am really looking into the Lewis county area. I use a muzzle loader so I am hoping to be able to find a really secluded area where a 'big' one is holed up. Jordan

I hunted elk up there this year. Was unsuccessfull but saw a nice four by four buck. I went up this Saturday the 11th and got to about 10 yards of a nice four by three bull and saw another four by three buck. The weather was changing so the animals were out. I am going to try and get up there about every six weeks this summer and do some more scouting. If you have any suggestions feel free to pass them on. I will see you at the sportsmans show in Puyallup. I do know of about 4 nice bulls taken out of there this year and only heard of one buck being taken. The weather did not cooperate this last year. I am sure the harvest numbers are down all over the west side of the state. Take it easy.

Wake,
If you are coming to the show and plan on stopping by my booth to say hi bring a winston creek map and I will cirle some areas that I know have a good blood of deer. and I will also show you where we consistantly seen elk. See you there, Jon

Thanks. I will do that. I am not sure what day it will be. I am going to check out the seminars and figure out which day would be best. Be safe and have fun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom