Washingtonians............

M

markbizee

hey all, i was just wondering how many of the people in here hunt in washington, and if anyone has been out scouting lately to see how things are going, where are your stomping ground, me personnaly I hunt the Klickitat area above Skookumchuk and schynder canyons....if you dont wanna reveal your stomping grounds its ok, and is very understanable....well bye for now

howdy
I live in the Skookunchuck unit just outside of Rainier. There are a lot of nice bucks around here if you want to get off of the roads. A couple of years ago I shot a 150 class buck on Miller hill. I also took a 115 class P&Y 2x3 (not counting eyeguards) on miller hill also. That Klikitat are is notorious for huge benchleg bucks. Some of the biggest mulie/blackie crosses come from there. It's a hell of an elk area too. I know guys that have taken 160 and 170 class blacktails out of Lincoln Creek and Winston Creek areas. There are soooooo many good areas n this state if one is willing to take the time and scout and get away from the roads. By the way I know thw word whitetail is a dirty word on this site, but I and my buddies have taken some dandys out of Ferry and Stevens counties. I personally have taken 4 over 140 P&Y and 1 at 168 7/8 P&Y, all out of Ferry co. If you need specific spots to hunt, e-mail me directly. I dont mind sharing. Mind you I wont give anyone my honey hole, but I will give out some of my old honey holes that still produce nice bucks with little or no pressure. You have to be prepared to hike your ass off and are all on public land.

hey Polar Bear...i tried to send you an email but the site says your inactive...if you wanna shoot me an email that would be good. You say the "Tat" is a good elk area, i'd like to talk to you about this , ive heard this too...but have yet to see any, unless you call grey droppings sign....email me and we can chat at [email protected] I'd really appreciate it man, thankx hope to hear from you soon..

Mark B.

Polarbear,

In-laws just bought a place up on Lake Curlew in Ferry county. I would love some info on hunting deer and bear in that area. Hiking isn't a problem. Please email me at [email protected]. I've been up there several times but don't get to spend enough time up there since its a 4 hour drive.

Mike

Well I hunt a lot farther north then where you guys are. I usually hunt in grays harbor county, but this year I think I am going to be doing quite a bit of hunting down in lewis county. I have gone out scouting a few times this year and have seen an abundance of deer, nothing really big but that's ok. I"ll keep you all updated if I find a really good spot or see a nice buck. Jordan

I live in the Olympia area and hunt around here or down by
Pe ell area. I have one blacktail that scores about 125. That old honey hole is now a bunch of houses. For the last couple years I have been hunting Mule deer most of the time. I got a nice 4X4 last year up around Twisp. There are a lot of nice mule deer out there. I have a few spots over here on the wet side if I strike out over there.

Hey there polarbear. Since you seem to be willing to share some information and since you seem to be familiar with that area of the state, I was wondering if you would help me out a little. I know this is the blacktail site, but I've got some questions about the turkeys in your area. I also got that message about your e-mail, so if you could get a hold of me at [email protected] , that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Shep

hey Shep, I beleive i talked to you a while ago about Klickitat...forgive me if im mistaken...if so, have you been out lately? seen and four leged critters running around...I've heard the turkey are running around like the deer used to be running around about 5 years ago, EVERYWHERE!!...anyways get back to me if you want... [email protected]

Hey PolarBear,

I don't want to sound like I want to argue but I grew up hunting the Winston Creek area. I know every tree that has grown there I think. 160-170 buck???? Come on. Later Jon

I'm not sh!ttin you! It was back in the late 50s and early 60s. A couple of old farts that I use to work with showed me pictures and brought in the antlers of several that grossed in the high 160s. I asked them why they didnt have them entered in B&C and they said "what for?" None of them were shoulder mounts. All were just antlers and a little chunk of skull keeping them together. I begged them to let me take them to have them officially scored, but no dice. The next time that I run into them I'll try to coax them out of a couple of pictures and post them. No b.s.!
Eric

I seen a 4 pt on ft.lewis just outside of roy that had to be 24to26 in. wide we find lots of sheds of some real nice bucks out there. i gonna find out how big a pain in the ass it is to hunt out there because we have been working there 2 years now and have't seen anybody huntin could be a real good spot and close to home.

Yeah, I have a couple of dandies tied to a tree waiting for bow season. Actually I live in Skagit but most of my hunting is in Whatcom and North Skagit County. How about yourself? I use to hunt up river quite a bit before they limited it to the early season only for the rifle season. I switched to the bow to get away from all the people.
Talk at ya later,
Shane

Nice to hear that u got them tied up already. I live in Birdsview do most of my hunting up baker lk. Nice talking to u.

Its a small world. I ate at Birdsview burgers today. I use to hunt around Grandy all the time before they took away the late hunt. One of the nicest blacktails I've seen was above Grandy Lake. I've seen a few nice deer high above Lake Shannon also. Did you apply for the limited up river late tag? I guess there were not many first choice applicants but this state puts more emphasis on the hunter than the tag and most people that were drawn had the area as there fourth choice. I have about six P & Y bucks I have kept an eye on this summer. They are just starting to log one area that has four of them in the area that is going to be cut. I have no idea how it is going to affect my hunting. I hope they drag there feet for a while so I can keep the bucks on the feeding locations I see them in every couple of days at least through mid September. Do you bow hunt or rifle hunt? I am pumped for the bow opener. Only three weeks away!
Talk to you later,
Shane

I moved to Skagit County about 6 months ago (I live in Mount Vernon). I've never hunted blacktail but lately I've been reading a couple of books about these critters. I would appreciate it if you Skagitonians might be willing to point me in the right direction. For instance, looking at a map it looks like there's some state land in the hills east of Mount Vernon. How is the access? Do the timber companies in the area allow access and hunting on their properties? I'm not asking you to reveal your honey-hole, of course. Rather, I am interested in learning from experienced people what areas to avoid, or pointing me in the general direction to an area that might hold some promise. I'd appreciate any pointers you might be willing to give.

Thanks.

The timber companies around here will let you walk, ride a bycycle, or horse onto there lands on 99% of the areas. There are a lot of state holdings everywhere pretty much. Some places are a mix of private timber companies and public land but you would never really know the difference because you can hunt both. There are blacktail everywhere also, but some areas hold more deer and bigger deer. You should take some hikes this time of year and glass some open areas (it is hard sometimes to find an area you can see more than ten feet)and see what is in there. It is my experience the bucks will feed out in the open until about a week or two after they shed there velvet. Being a bow hunter you will not see to many people around here in the early season hunting. Get in behind a locked gate and start hunting. I don't like to hunt fresh clear cuts but around four years old or older are good for me.They are grown up a bit and offer more cover so the big boys feel more at ease eating in them. Read Boyd Iverson's books and you'll know just about everything you will need to know. Fresh clear cuts will produce a younger deer but I don't see to many whoppers killed in them. Hope this help
Shane

Thanks for that, Shane. I'll read Iverson's book. I've been reading the blacktail book by Louis Terkla and have a copy of Cameron Haynes blacktail book (though I am a rifle hunter). I'll get out the maps, do some studying, and then start scouting various areas.

Thanks again!

Boyd Iverson's first book has really helped me. It is well written and very informative. I know that I have shot bigger blacktail bucks using his methods. Especially hunting them out of a tree stand until well after dark and avioding clear-cuts.
Get a monster!
Eric

Now aint that something! I bow hunt for deer and elk. Prob. go east the first weekend, check things out. I like to hunt later over here sorry so late getting back to U.

rooselk, float me an email at [email protected]. I live in Mt. Vernon up the Blackburn road. I can get you in on some good areas about 10 miles from home. Maybe we could hook up sometime and I could show you around, I do a lot of bear hunting in Skagit also.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom