watering hole big buck bs contest

N

nevadabone

tell me how there was three archery bucks entered into the contest and there was only a first and second place given, and the biggest buck out of the three was not even first or second place, or his name was not even mentioned. ssdy. i think there is a few last names that are well known and he isn't one of them.

Because the 3rd archery buck was a youth, entered in the youth catagory to begin with. The kid also won 2nd place in the bull catagory.

Had I taken my little buck, I would have taken 3rd in the archery. That is twice I would have placed, but didn't take my antlers. There were only 2 entries in the adult archery category. The scoring system is width+height+points. If you don't like it, don't buy a ticket, or better yet, don't go. It gets old hearing people get on hear and complan when they don't know the facts. This contest has been great every year. The scoring has always been the same. A big thanks to the ones who have put it on and also helped and a big thanks to fatrooster for his donations to the youth.

First of all thanks to fatrooster for all his work again.
I am the youths father, and yet again he killed a nice buck with his bow,and a 3rd place bull elk. I am a very proud Dad.
And i will agree with everyone that it is all about the youth....
Their was 3 very good hunters that killed with a stick and string. The antlers were seperated to show it.
My boys buck was very obviously the largest, it looked like 1st,2nd and 3rd to everyone.
Remember its all about the youth.
Their are 2 catagorys for adult,archery,rifle-muzzle.
(Why not youth), or just put him in with the adults?
fatrooster felt bad because the same thing happend last year, I thought that it would change this year.
We buy tickets every year. You know just for the youth.
We want them to have a good time.
As for the scoring width+height+points i could not agree more.
As long as it stays consistant.
Remember its all about the YOUTH.

I hope fatrooster doesn't feel bad. He has contributed alot to these youths. I think it would be hard to start putting youths in with adults because they had a bigger buck for archery.Maybe splitting up the categories for youth would be the best option, but these youths get to hunt all 3 hunts. I personally think that this contest is fair. Every year puts out different scenarios. His archery buck was biggest there, but he was in the youth category. It does seem unfair, I don't know what the fairest thing is, it just seems like every year someone isn't happy and the ones who put it on feel bad. MOST people who buy a ticket know how the rules work. Sometimes the biggest buck doesn't win in a certain category, but I still think that they do a good/fair job with this contest. They put alot out there to the youths. I have several youths in my family who have had an awesome time at this contest and not one time have they felt cheated. They had a great time, that's what it's about. Sharing hunting stories and having a good time. Youth or Adult.

It was just as good of show as last year. Had a very good time. Can't wait till next year!!

"watering hole big buck bs contest" Just by the title of your post I'm glad we didn't meet. Go put your own contest on and don't come back.

Well, here we go again. First off I'd like to apologize for not having our intercom system working. We sold the bar and it has been remodeled but somewhere in there the mic system was taken out and we didn't know it until the last minute. I felt it hurt the contest and the auction. I planned on telling the story about helping an 85 year old man get his first bull and inviting people(mostly the youth) to tell thier hunting story and making a few announcements. But it was an intercom bust.

nevadabone, to say that someone may have won because of what thier last name is was innapropriate. The only reason a person wins is because thier animal scores the best. If there is any wrong doing going on in this contest I will try to make it right or pull myself and my support away from it. As far as the youth that did not win with his archery buck in the archery category is as stated above. Youth have thier owne division seperate from the adult division and they can hunt archery, muzzy or rifle season or all three seasons. Shooting such a nice buck during the archery season like he did was a great accomplishment and he has my respect and admiration. It was probably one of my favorite bucks at the contest. But to put it short and sweet, he was beaten out by several other bucks which also was the result last year. Now a lot of people will say that it is unfair to put archery bucks in with muzzy or rifle bucks but it was his choice to shoot that particular buck and if he wanted to he could of held off and looked for a different buck or waited until muzzleloader or even rifle season to choose a different buck. It was his choice to choose this buck and he had the chance to hunt any or all three seasons. His Dad is a very accomplished hunter and puts out extra effort and has been rewarded with at least one win that I know of in our contests. He is actually one of my hunting hero's and the kind of hunter I would like to be. Nevertheless, he knows what our scoring system is and how it works and he has been gracious enough to support us in our past contests and I hope in future contests as well. Last year I felt bad that his son did not place in our contest but it was not because he killed a big and beautiful buck during the archery season but because somebody had stated that we had more categories and prizes for adults instead of youth and after some thought I agreed with what they said. This same youth was the very next youth with the next highest scoring buck being 4th place, and so I got in touch with his Dad and a gift was given. If a different kid would have had the 4th place buck then that is the kid who I would have given the gift to.
Lets talk about our scoring system. As stated last year, we have too many entries and it takes too long to score all of our entries Boone and Crockett style. But even if we did use the Boone and Crockett system I'd like to point out that the same thing can happen in its scoring system. Sometimes a spindly or smaller buck will out score a bigger buck due to one side being different or maybe he has a drop tine on one side or a sticker which will account for deductions. Remember, Boone and Crockett uses the Net measurement and not gross measurement. The bigger buck might have more bone but in the eyes of B&C's scoring system it measured less. I personally prefer the Safari Club International's scoring systen who uses the Gross score. But still they use a spread measurement which in my opinion is dumb because the spread measurement is nothing but air and has nothing to do with bone growth. Now if I'm incorrect about how these organizations measure and score then please set me straight. So we have the same thing going on here as in B&C's scoring system. If you have a small buck with stickers it racks up points or a crab clawed buck with a wide spread it again racks up points. Or a narrow but very tall buck will again rack up points. so in the Watering Hole's eye's with our redneck scoring system your gonna have some bucks that are big get out scored by smaller bucks. This is not always the case but it happens. All I can say is that I support this scoring system. It has been this way since its beginning and as far as I know it will stay this way and I will keep supporting it. We are just a Ho-bunk bar in a Ho-bunk community with a Ho-bunk Big Buck and Bull Contest but I'm proud of it and will strive to make it better each year. Nevadabone, I'm sorry if it seems that I picked on you in my response but this was actually meant for everybody who wants to read it. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy yourself at our contest and hope the next one makes you happier.
Biggestrack, I saw where you wrote that you "thought it would change this year" but I'm not sure what you mean. I also saw where you agree with our scoring system and if you do then all I can say is that your sons buck was out scored. You also mentioned that maybe we could divide our youth category into three categories like the adults being archery, muzzy and rifle. We at the Watering Hole discussed this and chose to keep one category. I hate to say it but we do have people out there who will lie about which season they killed thier buck and will teach thier children to do the same. (And no I do not mean you). Also as stated above, the youth have a choice to hunt any or all three seasons. I am in no way trying to take anything away from your sons accomplishments of last year or this year but the end result is that it is his choice. Also, I do not know your son and barely know you but I have a high opinion of you both. Your son was very respectful and polite the other day and in my book is already a winner as well as his Dad. I've been to the Muley foundation banquets and I've read who the donaters are and I see that you and your wife are huge donaters. I'd like to thank you for all you do for the mule deer and hunting in general. I would also be glad to have you as part of our contest and maybe be one of our score people, no pun intended. Also, I would be glad to take you and your sons buck and meet the guy who scored it and we can rescore it if you question our scores.
nv_hunter, I don't know what to say about your compliment except for I am humbled. Believe me though, I'm human. By the way, you don't live in Nevada anymore, its time to change your handle, ha ha.
And also, thanks to everybody else who has complimented me but I am only one person. This contest is the result of many people and thier efforts. As far as the youth rifles, I bought one rifle and put on a raffle. The raffle raised enough money to buy two rifles. Then my wife talked somebody into buying $500.00 worth of raffle tickets which bought a third rifle for the youth category. If that person would have won the raffle he planned on donating it to the youth category as a fourth place rifle prize but he did not win. My wife could have put that $500.00 towards other parts of the contest but chose to try and help me make the youth category better with more prizes. So I want to thank my wife, Mrs. fatrooster. Also I'd like to point out that you people are the ones who bought the raffle tickets and it was your combined money that bought those rifles. Thankyou. I am already selling tickets to buy rifles for next year. $25.00 per ticket or 5 tickets for $100.00. All of this money goes to rifles for the youth category so the more I sell the more rifles bought for that category.
If anybody else has any complaints then by all means spill them out. That goes for suggestions as well. Or if you prefer send me a PM.
Thanks again, fatrooster, Drew Edwards.

Score sheets.
7387scan_pic0013.jpg

7662scan_pic0014.jpg

9000scan_pic0012.jpg

7191scan_pic0011.jpg

Killbux, residents and nonresidents both are eligible to enter the contest but the buck must be from Nevada and must be from the current year that the contest takes place. The ticket cost $35.00 and includes a Bar-B-Q lunch for you and your family. If you are a youth and are entered in the contest you also recieve a Watering Hole Big Buck and Bull hoodie sweat shirt for free. You must buy your ticket before your hunting season begins.
D13er, yes, the second place score is correct. There were some people who did not bring thier archery buck because they did not think they had a chance to win. I even saw a picture of a guys buck who could have won first place in the archery category but didn't bring in his buck. One year a lady won the muzzy category with a spike. Now-a-days muzzy and rifle are grouped in the same category. You never know who is gonna bring in thier buck so it pays to bring it in no matter how little it is. fatrooster.

My addition comes to 42-6/8 for 2nd and not 25-6/8 as written on score sheet.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Drew, I didnt realize the kids got a hoodie with their entry. Troy(my son) didnt get his hoodie this year or last but he did get one the year it was at the basque house.I thought you guys were just being nice that year. I guess I'd better start paying more attention.
Thanks again for all you do for this Drew. I hope you and Jack keep this going and dont get burned out.
Paul

Paul, what size does your son wear? Send me a PM with your phone number and I will call you and get it to you. fatrooster.

Drew, I know you guy are not wanting to change the scoring system for your contest. In the future if you would like to I would be happy to score every animal for you. I could do this a few different ways. I did put that offer out there last year also. Maybe if you had me an official measurer there would be less complaints. Any help you need in measuring feel free to get a hold of me.

To the OP.... If you aren't happy with the way the contest is ran, then go support another cause. I know fatrooster personally and I can say that there would be no favoritism at all throughout the course of this contest. He puts a lot of time and effort into this contest (all volunteer hours I might add). So, instead of coming on here and bashing the contest adn how it is ran, maybe you can offer some ideas on how it can be improved if you don't like the way it's ran. It's call 'constructive criticism'. Try it sometime and you may get different responses.

FatRooster sounds like a great event and one that you have donated alot of time to! Just when you get time can you send me a pm on the info as far as next years event I have a son & daughter both hunting next year for the first deer.

Thank you,

Mark-

mtntophunter, PM has been sent.
bearman, I appreciate you volunteering and just might take you up on your offer. After Christmass I'd like to meet up with you and talk about it. Thanks to everybody for your support. fatrooster.

I think what D13er was trying to say is your arithmetic is wrong on that archery score sheet. Doesn't change the winner though. But if you add the second score it comes to 42 and some change.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom