Weather in Nov.

Ottersix

Hey all. I have a question. What can you expect for weather in NW Colorado in the Nov deer season? I want to get the most from my outer wear budget, and still travel relatively light. I may not be hunting from town and have to have everything with me in camp. What do you fellas carry with you to camp to cover the weather extremes?

Plan for the worst. 1' plus of snow for even the lowest elevations. It can be very warm, but it's nice to have warm clothes if you need them. I am a big fan of wool. Nothing better IMO.

I've been looking at wool as an option. Have you ever tried the Cabelas Outfitter or Legacy wool clothing? I cut my hunting teeth wearing an old Woolrich coat 30 years ago. I spent more than one morning on stand here for whitetail down around the zero degree mark. The coat did it's job, but footwear in those days left a lot to be desired. Cold feet was usually the reason to head back to the truck to warm up, not the wolly.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-09 AT 05:48AM (MST)[p]I bought a Cabaelas All season coat and bibs a couple years ago and love them. Warm and waterproof.but not cheap.
As for boots ,I wear Lacrosse Icemans in real cold weather,never have cold feet.when 30 degree and above weather ,I wear Rocky 1000 gram thinsulate hunting boots,no problem with them,have owned Rocky boots for 20 years .Also wear Remington heavy weight long underwear when hunting in cold weather.

Hey how about that. I used to wear LaCrosse Icemans myself years ago. I didn't know they were still available. I'll go check out the Cabelas All Season on line here shortly. I hate being uncomfortable so I figured this would be the place to get the low down on what works. I don't want to have to pack in a bunch of stuff that isn't practicle.

I have some iceman's, too, though I've never needed them on a hunt in November. They're too tough to hike in and I'd imagine your feet would be sweating after just a short hike. On average, I'd expect the highs to be in the 30's and 40's, lows in the teens. Can be much warmer or much colder. I use a 600 gram danner for when the snow flys.

Wool is the best but don't forget to dress in LAYERS, I will never buy a huge parka type jacket or a pair of pants that are so thick you only need the one pair in sub-zero temps.
In the mountains, temps change quick and your body temp changes quick when it comes to walking up, down and vs. sitting.
Wear a back pack and have room to bring extra layers or to take some layers off to put in pack.
Sweat is a killer in the woods when hunting.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Sounds to me like it's time to kill some sheep. I really like wool, except maybe the weight of it. There is nothing quieter, and it works wet. Along those lines, should I carry specific rain wear? I know Gore Tex is great stuff. On the other hand, a poncho would save a bunch of space and weight. What do you veteran mountain hunters do for rainy days?

wool is nice but it takes up alot of room.i use a good base layer,downcoat and gor-tex outer.a down coat is very warm when you are not moving but takes up very little room in your pack.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom