Well, its started! Ethics are gone.

B

bucklover

I know water sources are limited, but for crying out loud!! There are already 4 blinds on one little seep.

7 which blind is yours. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-13 AT 12:31PM (MST)[p]Just expressing a little frustration for my friend. He starts early, does his best to let people know what his plans are. It doesn't seem to matter to some. Yep, just move right on in. The more the merrier. Everyone can just hold hands.

So what is everyone else supposed to do when people build blinds months before the hunt? Not hunt the area? Hunt the blind a stranger built? How early in the year are we supposed to get to public springs to "call" them for our own? Trust me, I understand the frustration of scouting an area, getting the animals patterned and then having someone else come in on top of me. In the end it is public land and we have to deal with it. Seems logical there is no calling a spot before the hunt. Etiquette goes both ways.

get used to it bucklover! I walked into a water hole that is waaaaaay off the beaten path. I've hunted in or around this wallow for 10+ years now and have never seen another trail cam or blind. 3 cameras and 2 blinds sitting on this one now. Lots of people enjoying the outdoors. I can't blame them though, it's a great spot.....at least it WAS a great spot. :)))

It's always an adventure!!!

I still haven't figured out why anyone would complain about others doing legal things on public land since YOU are also one of the OTHERS!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-13 AT 03:33PM (MST)[p]Topgun, Here, i'll help you. People feel about their special spots on Public Land kinda about the same way that we do with our serious girlfriend. lol

In all my years, i've never had the issue be a problem. Then again, i don't use trail camera's, i haven't archery hunted in over 30 years, and i don't generally sit on water. Seems i made some good choices!! lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

You are whining about THAT??? And ONLY that??
Put on my shoes for a little stroll...

Drew a good tag dug a blind shot the 67th buck I saw drink- I was hooked, never saw a hunter.

Drew the same tag (they decided to print a few more as it was such a good hunt!) Went in June dug my old pit out and slept over night, digging in the dark when it was cool. Did some rough camo on it and put my name tag # and phone # in a ziplock and put a 30-30 shell in it for weight (no rocks to be found)threw the bag in the bottom of the pit and went home. A few weeks later I was turned in for "threatening the life" of another hunter who wanted to use that spring but was scared to (due to the rifle shell in the address bag)

During the hunt I showed up and some idiot was in my blind, happy as hell to have such a nice blind, I asked him to leave nicely and he said ok, we were talking and he had an otc tag and was a hundred miles from anywhere it was valid- I pointed this out to him.

He walked away and I un-cased my bow and found a loose broadhead had cut my string... 75 miles one way to a bow shop and back and who is sitting in the blind when I get back??? Same idiot, this time I was not nice, at all.

2 yrs later I drew the same tag and they decided to print 330 doe tags for the same season. 3-5 pits /water hole. I found an out-of-the-way spot and dug in the only blind, shoe horned in and hunted for the weekend, went back to work and came back on weekdays only after that. Topped out a hill and could swear I could see my "blind" from 5-6 miles off. Sure enough someone had "found" my hole and put a VERTICAL REFRIDGERATOR BOX, on end over my pit (in 8" tall sage)

But I solved all my problems very easily, I quit applying for that tag.

Anybody had this JOKER on Film yet?

7723cam_thief.jpg

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

Wow! That's exactly how I pictured you looking are you mooning a trail cam or getting ready to do a tune up on an ATV in the picture.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-13 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]Squirrel, Sorry for your bad luck, but you need to write down your story and sell it for "The last Laugh" or some sort of thing. You have to admit, there is some humor in it when you look back. I'm not really complaining too hard. I knew exactly what response I would get from some. The same comments were made last year, but the crowding gets worse every year. Yes, I know it is public land and it belongs to "everyone". It's kind of like finding a nice quiet secluded spot to camp, with no one around. Then someone comes along and parks right next to you, and thinks its okay to turn up their tunes as loud as they want, half the night. I know its all legal, but it still isn't right. Walk into a restaurant and go sit down right beside somebody that is already there eating. Some will make the best of it. Most will tell you to go find your own table.

I don't care who put what where, IF YOU AREN'T the first guy in place on opening morning or any morning, You are sucking hind tit
I wouldn't move, don't care if it was your go to spot for 20 years, it still is public land and it first come first serviced.
That being said I WOULDN'T use your blind or stand and if I did, I would move out, But I would still stay and hunt that place.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

"So what is everyone else supposed to do when people build blinds months before the hunt? Not hunt the area? Hunt the blind a stranger built?"

Set up between the spring and bedding area, not on the spring itself.

"How early in the year are we supposed to get to public springs to "call" them for our own?"

They never become your own. Besides, that much activity is going to leave a lot of scent. Odds are the buck/bull your after will only be coming in at night or will switch and use a wee little seep that no one is frequenting anyway.

Sitting in a blind over a water hole looks boring as hell any way. These clowns did you a favor. Get out and hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-13 AT 11:39PM (MST)[p]>I don't care who put what
>where, IF YOU AREN'T the
>first guy in place on
>opening morning or any morning,
>You are sucking hind tit
>
>I wouldn't move, don't care if
>it was your go to
>spot for 20 years, it
>still is public land and
>it first come first serviced.
>
>That being said I WOULDN'T use
>your blind or stand and
>if I did, I would
>move out, But I would
>still stay and hunt that
>place.

>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".
>>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Boom!

>So what is everyone else supposed
>to do when people build
>blinds months before the hunt?
> Not hunt the area?
> Hunt the blind a
>stranger built? How early
>in the year are we
>supposed to get to public
>springs to "call" them for
>our own? Trust me,
>I understand the frustration of
>scouting an area, getting the
>animals patterned and then having
>someone else come in on
>top of me. In
>the end it is public
>land and we have to
>deal with it. Seems logical
>there is no calling a
>spot before the hunt.
>Etiquette goes both ways.

I agree if you want to hunt public land then you have ZERO right to claim dibs on anything. You can show up first the day of the hunt. I own the spring or trail as much as you do. Sorry, the idea someone "owns" a public resource is selfish. Get in my face and explain it to the court. Not a playground out there. Not the wild west. Is public. Ours. Equally.

LMMFAO....that is my uncle Paul, bess....wtf is that drunk old fool doing in Utah?????

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

To some degree, maybe you're right. Maybe I'm using the wrong words. Maybe it is a way of life that is gone. Up to this point, I have never sat on water to hunt my antelope, but have friends that do and they love the close encounters that occur. If people would respect others, and back off when they see someone is already there, but some just march right in and invade, because, by damn, it is public ground, and they have as much right to be there as the next guy. That is the ethics part I am talking about. Others get pissed because someone got up earlier than they did and beat them to the spot. That is when setting up blinds before season started becoming the norm. Someone else mentioned that maybe the law should be that you set up when you get there, and you take your blind with you when you leave. That would alter the building of blinds from surrounding material to some degree, and cause a lot more disruption in the area, but maybe that is what needs to happen. There is no easy answer. Just like antler hunting starts at mid-night on opening day, with everyone running around with bright flashlights, just to beat the other guy, the same would happen with setting up blinds, also. Some people would be getting into fist fights, just to claim their spot. So is it ethics? Some of us old farts tend to think ethics have a lot to do with it. Maybe its just the changing of the times. Google Earth, GPS's, fancy trucks, 4 wheelers, high dollar equipment, friends, showing friends, who then show their friends. Most of these things, (all but the last one) are not bad in and of themselves. But they have definitely changed the face of hunting. Some people say the number of hunters is shrinking, but it sure doesn't seem like it. There have been some good comments, and I guess if it makes us all think a little, and try to be respectful of one another, it is all good. I hope you all have a great fall, filled with special future memories.

I went down to the local kiddie park earlier this month and put an old toy next to the slide there. I put my name and number on the old dump truck toy letting them know the dates over the rest of this year when the slide was reserved. Wouldn't you know it, I went over this weekend with the kids (YES..this was on of the dates on my note) and were 3 kids with their parents using the slide. WTF? Can people not read?

What are the laws for leaving a blind on public land this early?

I was told that it could only be left for 14 days. Obviously that isn't the case when people are already setting up. Was I told wrong or is the law just not enforced?

This is from the Idaho regs but since it is for BLM land I assume that it applies to BLM land in all states. Really you should check with the local BLM office because sometimes special rules apply in specific areas.

Using Blinds on Public Lands - BLM
Hunting blinds on public lands managed by the Bureau of Land
Management must meet the following criteria:

1. Construction materials ? Portable pop-up blinds are
encouraged. No permanent placement of materials is
allowed, and all materials must be removable. Wire
mesh, which may be hazardous to wildlife or livestock,
is not allowed. Damage to natural and cultural resources
by actions such as digging, trenching or other surface
disturbances is prohibited. Cutting live vegetation to build,
screen or camouflage blinds is discouraged.

2. Labeling ? The hunter?s full name and ZIP code must be
permanently attached, etched, engraved or painted on the
blind in an obvious location.

3. Placement dates ? Blinds may be placed no earlier than 10
days before the beginning of the hunting season for which
the hunter has a valid tag, and must be removed within
seven days of the close of that hunting season.
4. Right of use ? Blinds may be used by hunters on a firstcome,
first-served basis. Placement of a blind on public
land does not create an exclusive right of use. Locking
blinds is not allowed. Please be respectful of other hunters?
blinds.

5. Wildlife or livestock developments ? Diverting water,
tampering with or modifying rangeland developments,
such as watering troughs, reservoirs, springs, fences, or
related structures or water sources, is prohibited. Hunters
may not harass livestock or impede their access to water
sources.

For more information, please contact the nearest BLM office.

>This is from the Idaho regs
>but since it is for
>BLM land I assume that
>it applies to BLM land
>in all states. Really you
>should check with the local
>BLM office because sometimes special
>rules apply in specific areas.
>
>
>Using Blinds on Public Lands -
>BLM
>Hunting blinds on public lands managed
>by the Bureau of Land
>
>Management must meet the following criteria:
>
>
>1. Construction materials ? Portable pop-up
>blinds are
>encouraged. No permanent placement of materials
>is
>allowed, and all materials must be
>removable. Wire
>mesh, which may be hazardous to
>wildlife or livestock,
>is not allowed. Damage to natural
>and cultural resources
>by actions such as digging, trenching
>or other surface
>disturbances is prohibited. Cutting live vegetation
>to build,
>screen or camouflage blinds is discouraged.
>
>
>2. Labeling ? The hunter?s full
>name and ZIP code must
>be
>permanently attached, etched, engraved or painted
>on the
>blind in an obvious location.
>
>3. Placement dates ? Blinds may
>be placed no earlier than
>10
>days before the beginning of the
>hunting season for which
>the hunter has a valid tag,
>and must be removed within
>
>seven days of the close of
>that hunting season.
>4. Right of use ? Blinds
>may be used by hunters
>on a firstcome,
>first-served basis. Placement of a blind
>on public
>land does not create an exclusive
>right of use. Locking
>blinds is not allowed. Please be
>respectful of other hunters?
>blinds.
>
>5. Wildlife or livestock developments ?
>Diverting water,
>tampering with or modifying rangeland developments,
>
>such as watering troughs, reservoirs, springs,
>fences, or
>related structures or water sources, is
>prohibited. Hunters
>may not harass livestock or impede
>their access to water
>sources.
>
>For more information, please contact the
>nearest BLM office.sssssssssssssssxxxsss

Those seem like good rules to me and I think I'll write them down to remind me how it should be, because I have to confess I've been guilty of modifying water sources on occasion (filling a stream with dead branches so the deer and elk would have to get closer and broadside to drink, daming a stream to create an elk wallow, covering a guzzler drink box to make the animals drink from the overflow pond)

and fences (tying the top two strands of a barbed wire fence together to create a lower jumping spot, leaning some dead branches on a log fence to get the animals closer in order to jump it, adding some wood to the corner of a wooden/log fence to create a blind)

and trees (triming a few dead branches for easier climbing and shooting), (triming and moving some fallen dead trees to create a blind), (cutting trees that have fallen across the road).

and dirt (leveling a spot for a blind), (moving some rocks, stumps and branches from beneath my treestand for safety reasons), (clearing the big rocks off the roadway), (digging a pit and covering my body waste).

The only thing I haven't modified is the air (except for the above)!

I guess I'll stick to road hunting!

2-point: Your are right. Perhaps portable blinds are the solution. He who sets his up first on any given day hunts the hole. I cannot see claiming a spot of public land by leaving your equipment there. If you, personally, are present, then that is different, of course. Once, two weeks before the turkey season opener, I found a sign posted prominently on a tree alongside a road where I have hunted for twenty years proclaiming "This spot taken opening day of turkey season". I laughed my ass off! Of all of my hunting trophies, that sign remains my favorite and I still chuckle whenever I see on my wall.

>Just a bunch of lazy SOBS
>sittin in a pop up
>they deserve each others company.
>

Or a bunch of 70+ year olds with heart conditions who can no longer safely chase after the big game like some snotty-nosed younguns can! And, yes, we deserve each other and love it!

Yhe all 70 year olds with heart conditions,RIGHT.I suppose all the water holes in UT covered with multiple cams and blinds are also populated by the same?If you can pack a blind back into a a remote water hole your not too handicapped are you?I have 2 conditions(one fully functioning arm and epilepsy),dont try to tell me that a heart condition keeps you in a blind.

>>Yhe all 70 year olds with
>>heart conditions,RIGHT.I suppose all the
>>water holes in UT covered
>>with multiple cams and blinds
>>are also populated by the
>>same?If you can pack a
>>blind back into a a
>>remote water hole your not
>>too handicapped are you?I have
>>2 conditions(one fully functioning arm
>>and epilepsy),dont try to tell
>>me that a heart condition
>>keeps you in a blind.
>>

***That arm isn't the only thing that doesn't appear to be functioning in most of the posts you make, but the second problem might be a part of it!

>Yhe all 70 year olds with
>heart conditions,RIGHT.I suppose all the
>water holes in UT covered
>with multiple cams and blinds
>are also populated by the
>same?If you can pack a
>blind back into a a
>remote water hole your not
>too handicapped are you?I have
>2 conditions(one fully functioning arm
>and epilepsy),dont try to tell
>me that a heart condition
>keeps you in a blind.
>

I've had the pleasure of being hauled off the mountain twice while archery hunting deer or elk due to arhythmias. Once by ambulance from Duck Creek Village to Cedar City to the tune of $2,600 and once by a former registered nurse who happened to be viewing Salt Lake City from the parking lot at Big Mountain Pass. In both cases, I was close enough to civilization to be able to walk to get help. And in both cases, my family knew EXACTLY where I was (treestand and blind) if I wasn't able to get some help. Arhythmias (irregular, fast heart beats) sap your strength big time and can cause cardiac arrest if you try to do too much. So, yes, because I like living and I love my family, my heart condition keeps me in a blind or treestand that my family knows the location of.

If you feel your epilepsy is under control enough to allow you to chase animals all over the mountain, then so be it. I would hope you don't have an unexpected seizure on the edge of a cliff or steep slope or in the bottom of a deep canyon.

Additionally, I learned a long time ago that my best advantage over wild animals is my brain! I know I can't outrun them, I can't outhear them, I can't outsmell them and I can't outsee them, but I can outthink them and that makes me/mankind the utimate predator. I (and you) use technics, tools and equipment designed to give me/you the advantage. I choose to use some that you may not choose to use and visa versa, but I don't criticize you or call you names for using the ones you use and I expect the same courtesy.

As for the multiple blinds/treestands at any one waterhole, that will resolve itself in the long run. Right now, deer hunters are not used to being restricted to smaller areas and there are just fewer known ideal spots to choose from. They'll all find their nitches as they learn from their mistakes.

I have had a gran maul seizure while hunting,twice,one of them left me on the side of a mountain completely unaware of where I was or why overnight,then the next morning after making it back to my rig I had to hike back to the top of the mountain when I finally realized where I was and what had happened to get my rifle,that was a fun Easter egg hunt.Had to be picked up by S&R way back in the breaks after a seizure while fossil hunting,spent many nights in the ER after seizures the day after a hunt,the list goes on and on.If your condition allows you to make it as far as a water hole you could make it as far as it takes to hunt somewhere where there arnt several other people already set up.I dont know if you think you should have dibs on the spot because of your condition but it might shock you to know there are lots of guys out in the woods with life threatening conditions,life isnt worth living without the hunting/fishing/boating/shedhunting/ect I do so i take the chance that at any time I could have a seizure and fall off that mountain and die,its a chance many of us take.I find it hard to believe you cant find a spot within your limitations that isnt already covered with blinds.I think you just like to ##### about people and use your condition as an excuse.

TG your just a useless POS in every aspect of life,Id tell you to eat a bullet but it would be a complete waste of good ammo.

7thgenmt---Your little retort was very similar to about 90% of the posts you put up cutting down other people on this site and then you get uptight when you get a little thrown back at ya! Hey, if it's too hot in the kitchen, then get the heck out Bro!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-13 AT 05:26PM (MST)[p]Boy, I really started something with this post. I kinda expected most of the comments, and to some degree, it's just kinda fun to stir the pot a little. Most have had some good reasoning behind them and they help me see both sides more clearly. However, 7thgenmet, even though I'm sorry for your condition you must deal with, your post made me wonder if you have taken into account all the problems your "do it or die trying", creates. You said you needed to be picked up by S&R. I assume you covered all the cost that that entailed. What about your family, and all the worry they go through, when you go out alone. I admire your desire, but I do hope you are factoring in all the consequences and heartache it causes.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-13 AT 08:52PM (MST)[p]>I have had a gran maul
>seizure while hunting,twice,one of them
>left me on the side
>of a mountain completely unaware
>of where I was or
>why overnight,then the next morning
>after making it back to
>my rig I had to
>hike back to the top
>of the mountain when I
>finally realized where I was
>and what had happened to
>get my rifle,that was a
>fun Easter egg hunt.Had to
>be picked up by S&R
>way back in the breaks
>after a seizure while fossil
>hunting,spent many nights in the
>ER after seizures the day
>after a hunt,the list goes
>on and on.If your condition
>allows you to make it
>as far as a water
>hole you could make it
>as far as it takes
>to hunt somewhere where there
>arnt several other people already
>set up.I dont know if
>you think you should have
>dibs on the spot because
>of your condition but it
>might shock you to know
>there are lots of guys
>out in the woods with
>life threatening conditions,life isnt worth
>living without the hunting/fishing/boating/shedhunting/ect I
>do so i take the
>chance that at any time
>I could have a seizure
>and fall off that mountain
>and die,its a chance many
>of us take.I find it
>hard to believe you cant
>find a spot within your
>limitations that isnt already covered
>with blinds.I think you just
>like to ##### about people
>and use your condition as
>an excuse.
>
>TG your just a useless POS
>in every aspect of life,Id
>tell you to eat a
>bullet but it would be
>a complete waste of good
>ammo.

What difference does it make to you on how we hunt as long as you are able to hunt your way? In fact, would you rather we all hike around your mountain just as you do and stumble over each other in the process?

Out of courtesy, I NEVER set up my treestand or blind on top af someone else's and I do find another place. I have occasionally used someone else's set up, but always with permission, and I have had others set up on top of me, but I've always rolled with the punches because I know they have as much right to be there as I have. I would prefer that they show me the same courtesy as I would show them, but I know that's not always going to happen, but since I'm retired I make it a point to hunt those setups when the others aren't there.

But to call me a lazy SOB because I hunt smarter in my old age is really missing my side of the story. I prefer to let you and the animals do most of the work of getting them within my archery range because it's a win/win situation, at least for you and me. You get to keep on the move and see lots of country and challenge your quarry in a physical battle and I get to quietly bide my time and challenge my quarry in a mental battle and hopefully, it becomes a lose situation for the animals for one or both of us.

Also, if you didn't noticed I didn't start this thread and I haven't #####ed about people because I have no problem with overcrowded waterholes. I'm smart enough to have plans B, C, D, and E if plan A falls through.

Lastly, hunting, fishing, and the outdoors don't take the priorities in my life that they do in yours and life without them is definately still worth living. So I think I'll just keep on taking the precautions I now take.

What ever happened to the concept of sharing guys. All the extra pressure on everyones honey holes including my "secret spots" is here to stay. You either adapt to the new people showing up, or you better move on before it ruins your hunt emotionally. There is nothing worse than heading into the forest with a heavy heart over who found and is hunting your spot. I just keep moving farther and farther from the roads. What i have found is that if someone is at your secret spot usually something can be worked out between both parties, like every other day or something. There are people everywhere now.

Just saw a beautiful bull at one of these scent-infested places that two people had staked out. One has a nice burlap blind and the other one has the tree. I figured he'd bolt a little sooner, so I didn't try to get a camera out. He sure was nice though. I didn't know the little "road" existed or that the water was there, so I wasn't expecting to hike upon it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom