well the start of elk season

billc

Anyone get into some bulls or at least can say if they started talking already.I have the second bow hunt this year in 13 and can not wait.

I was in 16C and 21A over the weekend and didn't hear a thing outside of those coming from a truck. It was really warm out during the days, down right hot in the mid 80's.

I was up in 51 this weekend and Friday they were screaming, Saturday here and there... As you guessed, opening zip. Finally got a bugle a big 340" to bugle, as we stocked in it was about a 315" 6x6 with this bull. I was shocked, than shortly after see two cows alone together. Im like man the first hunts gonna be tough... Oh yeah and the incrediable helpful shots from Grouse hunters always really winds them up!

Buddy's dad ended up killing a spike, but they shot at like 5 spikes cause they are new to bowhunting and missed until the 35 yard chip shot! I had a blast just calling and watching! you would sware the spikes were 390" as excited as they were!

Buddy also got a small bear Saturday. All in all it was a blast for 3 day weekend!

I also have 2nd hunt in 13 leave Monday hope they wind up by then but so far all areas are pretty slow...

Going off in my unit, unfortunately their just rags, we did get on a good one yesterday (350) but couldn't close the deal.
Headed back down tomorrow.

Good luck to all!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-13 AT 04:11PM (MST)[p]Blackfoot you sure you can still hear them bugle given your age? Our mutual friend can't hear thunder anymore and I am guessing you are in the same boat. You probably have them bugling all around you, you just can't hear them?? Just felt like giving you a hard time?

Talking about our mutual friend, I literally have to carry a rock with me when we are hiking to toss at him when I need to get his attention without yelling. I have only hit him in the head a couple of times and he doesn't seem to mind much anymore when I do hit him in the head....

thanks Good luck on your hunt also.Thanks for all the info guys.Looking like I may be into some good action by the time I get there.

I hunted Monday thru Wednesday. It was quiet the first two days but I saw nice bulls both days. Had some cows walk within 5 yards of me and my buddy.

The bulls really started screaming yesterday. If I had 200-yard arrow in my arsenal I'd still be packing out a monster 7X8 today. He'd already gathered about 70 cows and was busy trying to spread his genes. If I don't see another bull the rest of the way, watching him for about 30 minutes made this hunt worth all the effort. It was one of those moments where I wish I would have packed a video camera.

Heading back out tomorrow to get back after it...

Literally got flooded off the mountain this last day, but I have no complaints. Except for the one day I tried sitting a tank, I was into nice bulls every day that I was able to hunt. I do need to work some more on my bow skills and extend my range to at least 60 yards. I was inside my range on some smaller bulls and cows, but I was not willing to pack one of those out four miles, so as it was, I never let an arrow fly, but was right on the edge a couple times on an estimated 320" bull.

If not for a couple of does and fawns that snuck up behind me and blew out their nostrils at an estimated five feet (scaring the holy crap out of me, the bull, and his herd of 11 cows), that bull would have been mine. It was in a downpour, and I was so focused on elk in front of me ranging from 30 to 70 yards (the bull being 70), I never saw or heard the deer coming up behind me. But even if I did, I don't know what I could have done about it anyway...

Good luck to all of the rest of you.

Good post and updates. we land in abq on the 12th and head up the trail on the 13th, we go in about 10 miles in the wilderness and do base camp. Hope the bulls are still talking in the high country. Sounds like they are off to a good start already. Moz, I have been busted by muleys before on several occasions, happens alot but you will get on that big bull before its over. Good luck and I hope you get him. Thanks for the posts.

WP

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom