weminuche wilderness, CO.

H

HAMMER

NEED SOME FRIENDLY ADVICE.
I AM PLANNING AN ARCHERY "DIY" HUNT THIS YEAR FOR ELK.
LOOKING AT THE WEMINUCHE WILDERNESS AREA IN SOUTH WEST
COLORADO. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR TROPHY QUALITY JUST LEGAL
BULLS TO HUNT. ANY ADVICE OR SPECIFIC AREAS TO TRY WOULD
BE APPRECIATED. I PLAN ON HIKING IN AS FAS AS NEEDED TO
GET AWAY FROM ANY CROWDS.

Do you have a preference of location as this area covers about 500,000 acres. Near Durango seems to hold a decent number of bulls with a few big ones here and there! I am not too sure about anywhere else but have heard that even towards Pagosa Springs it is pretty decent hunting.
The first thing I would do if I were you is get a good updated topographical map of these areas. There is a lot of country you can get to with out roads and 4 wheelers. There can be a few outfitters here and there though so you hit and miss other hunters but as far as 'crowds' I don't think you'll encounter that if you get off the roads far enough.
Check the pic below, the guy in the middle graduated with my wife and are still friends. They got these bad boys north of Durango in the Weeminuche area. They did get into a burned area from a couple years earlier with horses and the main road was still closed. They also scouted all summer all over up there as well.

out031031_2.jpg

The burned area is he is talking about is probably Missionary Ridge. I hunted there from 91-2000. It is a very nice area to hunt. The access road is known as Missionary Ridge Road and has been closed for the past 2 years due to the 2002 fire. The area is in Unit 75. I recommend either the Burnt Timber Creek drainage or, if the elk are up extremely, high, follow the road up past Henderson Lake and hunt the Lime Mesa area.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom