Wenaha Unit Big Bull Rifle

E

eobowhntr

A good buddy drew the Wenaha Unit Rifle bull tag his first year applying!! Im pretty familiar with the parts of that unit near and around tollgate, because I bear hunt and spike hunt that unit (still waiting for the big bull archery tag myself). Has anyone here hunted the rifle season for Wenaha? I would like to talk with a couple of previous tag holders about there experience if possible. We have a good idea about the caliber of bulls in the unit, and where they are at during archery season, but rifle season will be a new experience for us. I am going to talk to the biologist for the area next week sometime. We have horses and would really like to get away. Anybody have any good jumping off places in mind? Please feel free to pm with any info if you dont mind sharing, it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for everyone's help.

Robert

I had the tag several years ago and if I had it again several things to think about and was in there last year opening weekend of bow season. I have found the bigger bulls in the deep dark stuff during the rifle season and generally are alone or with another bull. The spike hunters are a royal pain the ass and there is a bunch of them, but most of them are gone after the first couple of days. I would spend my time on the front end of the season and try to find a bull then try to take him opening day. When I had the tag it started snowing the 2nd day of season, snowed for 2 1/2 days, cleared off and fogged in the rest of the season. If you hunt there you know that the fog after snow can be a problem. Time on your feet is all you need to have a great hunt, last year it was 60 degrees during the season, hope for some cold weather.

Rich

Wenaha is GREAT for achery if you draw after 14yrs of applying. Rich is right, your hunting with spike tag holders and its pretty hard to find a good bull during rifle season...but you never know!

muleyman

Hey thanks for the help guys. Im an archery hunter myself, and have not even step foot in the woods during rifle elk season. Rich, if you dont mind me asking, what trailhead (if you used one) did you start off from? Did you end up killing a elk? Did you even see anything descent? Sorry for all the questions, ive just never spoke to anyone that has held that tag before! Thanks again guys,

Robert

When you find the the YEW, start huntin.

Drawing a Wehaha bull tag after 14 years, Awsome.
Sharing the woods with 200 weekend hacks w/ spike tags, Priceless.

Sorry for the delay, been very busy. I have hunted Wenaha since I was 12 so I don't use trailheads, just certain spots that the bulls seem to end up in. I didn't kill a bull, not because of opportunity but because I knew where 2 bulls were that were granddaddys,saw them both opening morning just couldn't cut the distance in time and my buddy that drew the tag also shot a 6X6 opening day so that ended my first day . The snow/fog killed me in the end. I saw 9 branch bulls during the season with several other spikes. If you pack in I would guess you wouldn't see many spike hunters, they mostly stick to and near the roads, good luck, spend time before the season.

Rich

A coworker of mine burned his preference points on this hunt last year and came home empty handed:( He saw seven bulls but nothing over 280. He said it was still hot and couldn't get on the elk like usual. He scouted all year and saw some good bulls but they were pushed around by the spike hunters and no luck. Hope for snow is all I can say!!!

My older brother (who is 19) drew wenaha #2 on three points this year. we have only bear hunted in wenaha one time. Where i shot a bear in the morning then my brother shot a cougar that evening after one day of hunting, so then we went home. We have VERY little knowledge on the unit. we live in central oregon so scouting is going to be very limited. Any advice on where to start to look would be very helpful.
Thank you,
Gus

The best advise would be hire an outfitter. This tag is a once in a lifetime tag. Don't waste it!! Outback Outfitter has the best reputation. I would agree, the spike hunter suck. Don't road hunt. Plenty of big bulls raging 350 to 380. I know the area very well. Let me know if you need help.

Wolves in the Wenaha now. Bio told my friends during the archery hunt that a pack with pups were hanging out below the lookout.

Friend saw a nice bull and cow Moose too. Bio figured they had about 65 in there now.

Wolves have been in the Wenaha for over a year. The second week of archery season there was two wolves howling at Elk Flat TH. So much for this unit producing anymore trophy bulls...

Wolves in the worst units we have for calf recruitment, not good at all.

Once those big bulls die off that'll be the end of it.

Back
Top Bottom