West Desert Deep Creek Elk

BWO

This year I drew a West Desert Deep Creek Muzzy Elk Tag. I have been out on the unit a couple of times and I am having a hard time finding any elk. The areas I have looked into and have been told hold a ton of elk are coming up empty. Does anyone know if the elk move into the unit later in the year? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you for any help anyone can give.

They don't "move into the unit", but they do move from summer range to rutting areas.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

Ditto
And unfortunately, most of this movement is not in your favor as it occurs on what we would call an indian reservation. The deep creeks are hard mountains to hunt, and are not easily learned in 1 year, especially with gas prices and furthermore the indian res confuses the issue with the not so apparent borders etc. If it is a big bull that you are after then you may want to look into an outfitter.

Now if you have an extra $10,000 + dollars in the bank and are willing to pay bucks and bulls outfitting service(they are the best guide service on the deeps) and they have a space and are willing to take you, then they will probably get you on a rather large bull on the public hunt.

Good luck.

T

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have stated my question better. I did'nt mean do elk move into the unit. What I should have said is do elk move onto the public portion of the unit.

I know what you mean about the reservation. I have been trying to figure out the exact boundaries. I am a do it yourself kind of hunter, and besides that I don't have an extra $10,000 laying around. I would like to have a crack out a 350 type bull. I appreciate the info you have given.

Once again thank you.

you don't have any faith. I tell ya how good fishin is and you beleave but you don't beleave when it comes to elk have a littel faith. I will get you a great bull.

BWO-

I work for Bucks & Bulls, and i happen to guide out on the Reservation part of the deeps.

Unfortuntaley, $10K won't get you in with us on the rez, your public tag keeps you in just that...the public lands.
That's the bad news.

The good news is....pro and tooele are exactly right.
The elk are in the summer pattern right now (obviously) come rutting time you will be seing PLENTY of elk in your area...trust me. :)

For now, get out there and learn the country, AND LEARN THE INDIAN LAND BOUNDARIES!!! :)

You can PM me for more info if you'd like, i can tell you a few places to look in the public land.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

EyeCrazy,

I do have faith in you and I appreciate your help. You have never let me down. I'm just trying to learn all I can.

BWO-
Your very welcome, anything i can do to help.

eyecrazy-
Your friend would be crazy to NOT ask anyone and everyone about the area he is going to hunt, only a fool would ignore free advise or gain knowledge about an LE unit. ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

BWO, I still think you need to turn the tag back in!!!! because i am next in line!!! I will be the test dummy that way you will know if it is good or not?

I think I'll take my chances. :) It was good talking to you. Thanks for the info. I'll stay in touch. You never said, did you draw anything this year.

The only thing i drew this year was a HIGHLY COVETED NORTHERN DEER TAG! but i really didnt draw it! and ill be hunting idaho deer and maybe colorado if my wife will let me?????

No I grew up in Tooele, but I now live south quite a ways. If anyone can give you good advice it would be Slam dunk. If he is willing to provide you with info, I would listen very seriously to it. If you don't get enough info from him and the others, give me a pm and I might lead you in the right direction. I have been out there once or twice.

T

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom