western wyoming deer

B

buzzard

partner and i have 2 preference points each and at a point we can make the trip to western wyoming to hunt muleys this fall.it seems everything i read says the opportunity for a decent buck hunt no longer exist unless we wait a number of years for things to maybe get better. would appreciate any advice or suggestions of an area in the western half of the state thats available with our points that might provide a better outlook. thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-12 AT 06:31PM (MST)[p]I am not sure there is anywhere in western and southwestern wyoming that looks better to hunt, the entire area is in the worst shape it has ever been. Southwestern wyoming and the lower end of G is in the worse shape of all. Just to give you an idea on how bad it is I Drove around from sun up to sun down today looking for deer and seen 57 does and 6 bucks four of them were forkies one 3 point and one 4 point around 140's. Its wishfull thinking to assume the herds will be better in a few years, I have lived in western wyoming my entire life and everytime we get hit hard by a bad winter the deer never rebound to what they were before the bad winter. The herds just get worse and worse every year the game and fish are to blame there lack of commen sence and refusal to reduce tag numbers and ease hunting pressure after tuff winters have destroyed the western wyoming deer herd.

Welcome to the MM site! First, go on the F&G website and look at the map with all the unit numbers in the NR Application Booklet. Then check the harvest statistics for various units on the west side that you are interested in. If you find ones that look good, look up that unit in the draw odds to see whether you can draw it with your 2 PPs. Finally, if it looks like you can draw the tag, look in the booklet for that unit and see if it shows as one that has difficult public access. When you have done all that, then come back in the Forum and ask about a particular unit. You will find that you will get help, but first you have to help yourself more than just coming on and making a first post asking for a unit.

sorry i wasnt more specific in my first request. i had already done all those suggestions. my first research had me interested in region k with good harvest statistics, pp odds in our favor,good access to public land and maybe less pressure. but after reading so much about how bad it is in the southwest i started looking at region h with again seemed like good statistics and opportunities but again seeing comments from those that live or hunt that area its the worst of all. so i am confused as to what information i should pay attention to when choosing an area appreciate your ideas..

Less pressure in K??That's a good one.Save your points for a year or two.We lost half of our deer(or more)last winter in sw Wy.Seriously.I've lived here for almost 40 years,and the only time I saw it this bad was in the winter of '83-'84.And it may not have been this bad then!

Unless you can scout in the summer, under the current herd conditions, you will be greatly disappointed. Even if you scout, it will be tough, but you could improve your odds by locating bucks before the pressure mounts.

The Christian

Or you could hire an outfitter. I did last year and had a great hunt. Passed on a 30" buck first hour of my hunt since it had crab claws. Also passed on several other nice bucks that first day. Bagged a 176 gross buck the next morning. Even with all the naysayers and the doom & gloom, I'll be back this year if I don't draw a limited quota tag...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom