Western Wyoming

R

rpleish

Looking for a unit in western Wyoming to take a couple of twelve year old for a antelope hunt. Was thinking 98,99, or 100 but the odds look like they suck to get a tag this year. Any suggestions?

I have hunted almost every antelope unit in Wyoming west of the continental divide, and I can tell you that there is really nothing in terms of quality or quantity that seperates one from the other. (Except for areas in the Red Desert).
My point is, if you can draw a tag in any unit, you should expect to have a great hunt especially with a couple of 12 year-olds.

rpleish,
Do they have points,if not, then look to the east side or north central where you can draw without points. The west side is harder to draw with no points.
Brian

345brfc.jpg

I would also consider unit 94 I have hunted this as a resident. and have seen many decent bucks I would post my pics of last years buck but I am not sure how to. There are some checker boarded areas in this unit but alot are owned by the railroad and can be hunted with out a tresspass fee. I would hunt the last part of the season as the antelope are starting to group up and it makes juding them a little easier. I routinly saw 200-300 antelope a day and foucused on 2 bucks in particular most of the season but was unable to connect with them. The buck I did shoot I got on the day before the end of season and is prety average for the area. not sure on any of the non res draw stuff.

There are areas on the east end of Wyoming that typically have left over tags because they have alot of private land. I took my, then 12 year old boy up by Casper, years ago on just such a tag and he killed his first big game animal. It was a fantastic hunt. We had to pay a small trespass fee, but when the owner found out it was my boys first hunt, he cut the fee in half. Pretty fine gesture I would say. So if you don't mind an extra day or two of travel, you can always find a tag in one of those units.

Take um on a doe antelope hunt! Get 2 for each kid. They don't cost much!
Apply for buck tags this year and get a pref point for next year, then your odds go up to draw a buck tag.
It would be a fun cheap hunt. Just shoot one out of a close group. Spread out your hunt. antelope are fun to hunt, great eating too. BUT you need to take care of the animals. field dress and get the hide off them as soon as possible or sooner. Make it happen. The weather is usually warm in the early fall. take a big ice cheast with you.
So many hunters haul them around in the back of a truck all day and then take them to the processor that night or the next morning.
that just ruins the taste of one of the best eating animals there are.
Unit 93 or 89 in the west are good areas to hunt.
Thanks for getting the kids into hunting.............

Be careful of hunting on RR property(area 94).I work for Union Pacific,and in this day and age,we are told by the company to report trespassers.This would be people,trucks,etc,that are actually on the right-of-way road next to the tracks.While I personally have never(and will never)called to report someone that is obviously hunting,I have heard guys calling the dispatcher on the radio to report trespassers.Just a little word of warning to those who choose to hunt near the railroad tracks.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom