What about Texas?

BeanMan

Long Time Member
I've always wanted to know what is so great about Texas. Now before you get your hackles up this is not a post to jab anyone, I'm just asking because I don't understand. Texan's seem to be extraordinarily proud of their state. They seem to stick together more than other states. So I'm just asking what is the deal with Texas. I've only been to Houston and to me it seemed to be a average big city with lots of Humidity. From Hollywood I get the image of a big desert with little growing in it. I must be missing something, fill me in.

Thanks,

BeanMan

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-04 AT 10:06PM (MST)[p]Hey Beanman,
Ya know, I never really realized that what you said about Texans being so proud of their state until a few months ago when I moved from San Angelo,TX (where I lived from birth to age 25)to Tucson AZ a few months ago for my job. Now that I live outside of TX, and someone asks me where I am from, I proudly say "born and raised in TX". I don't know why we do that. Guess it is just a Texan thang. Gotta love where you from no matter where that may be, I guess. We just have the privlege of saying " TEXAS"!
Onto the other part of your post, as Northern Califorians would say,"pleeeaaaseee don't judge our state if you have only been to LA"! Houston is for better terms(or worse if you have to live there)the armpit of TX. Now I know, alot of you out there love that part of the state, but us West TX boys never really understood that part of TX. It's hot, humid and alloottt of big trees. Where I am from is far from the " big desert with little growing in it" My area has alot of live oak, huge native pecan trees, and also alot of mesquite. In the spring, you can't ask for a prettier place. Bluebonnets and other wildflowers everywhere. Now if you go a little further west, you do get into the classic desert country with the big mountains. Kinda looks just like here in Southern AZ. And as far as hunting goes, I myself don't think there is anywhere better for sheer variety of game.From spectacular goose hunting down on the coastal rice patties down by Houston, through the hill country with the asonishing numbers of whitetails and rio grande turkeys and all the different speices of exotics(too many to name here!), out into the vast areas of west TX with the mulies, pronghorn, and desert bighorn. And thats just the tip of the perverbial iceburg. So,i guess you can say the moral of my little spill is that AZ is nice, but, I WANT TO GO HOME!! Just kidding AZ boys, this place is nice in its own 115 degree kinda way. Maybe one of those elk or sheep tags I put in for will cure any thoughts of homesickness! Hope that answered a few of your questions. If not, just let me know and I'll go on for hours about TX!
Adios,
Scottyboy

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-04 AT 07:47AM (MST)[p]A lot of why Texans are the way we are has to do with the way we became a part of the United States. You see we were our own country for a little while. Our country before becoming a state was everything North and East of the Rio Grande. So part of what is now New Mexico was Texas. Texans fought for their independance from the Mexicans. With no help from the USA. We are very proud of our roots which began with the original 100 who came to Texas with Stephan F. Austin. So our independance runs deep and we are proud of it. Bet you did'nt know this but TEXAS is the only state in the Union that is officially allowed to fly her flag at the same level as the US flag. This culture of independance is what makes us different. It is instiled in us at a very young age.
Scotty is right when he speaks of the great diversity in Texas landscape. From West Texas and Panhandle desert to the Hill Country, Pinywoods, Post oak Savanah, South Teaxas Brush Country, Coastal Praries and Bays and down to the Tropical most southern tip of our great state. Arguably the best state in the Union for hunting and fishing diversity as well.
Now I will agree Houston is a nasty place, simply because it is so hot and humid and very very big. But in its defence Houston is the heart and soul of the Texas and US gas industry. So with out Houston we would not be as well off financially. So my vote for the arm pit of our great state goes to Eagle Pass.
I am a San Antonio boy and I would argue that my Alamo City is the most beautiful major city in Texas.
Thats my TEXAS.
George

"We must HUNT"

Here are some interesting facts about our great state that I just had to post for you guys out there not familiar with Texas.

Beaumont to El Paso: 742 miles
Beaumont to Chicago: 770 miles

World's first rodeo was in Pecos,TX....July 4, 1883

Aransas Wildlife Refuge in Brazoria county has more species of birds than any area in North America.It is also home to America's only remaining flock of Whooping cranes.

The worst natural disaster in U.S. history was in 1900 caused by a hurricane in which 8,000 lives were lost on Galveston island.

The first word ever spoke on another planet by a human being was "Houston".

El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas.

Laredo is the world's largest inland port.

Tyler Municipal Rose Garden is the world's largest rose garden with over 30,000 bushes on 22 acres.

The King Ranch is larger than the state of Rhode Island.

The U.S. rainfall record for a 24 period was brought to Alvin, TX by Tropical Storm Claudette with a total of 43" in July 1979.

As sotex said, TX is the only state to enter the U.S. by treaty instead of annexation. Besides being able to fly our flag at the same level as the American flag, written into the treaty is a clause allowing TX to secede from the U.S. by majority vote of the citizens, thus becoming a sovereign nation.

Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885.

TX has had 6 capital cities
1. Washington-on-the-Brazos
2.Harrisburg
3.Galveston
4.Velasco
5.West Columbia
6.Austin

The capitol dome in Austin is the only capitol dome in the U.S. that is taller than the Capitol building in Washington D.C.

The name Texas comes from the Hasini Indians word "tejas" meaning friends. Tejas is not Spanish for Texas.

The first domed statium in the U.S. was the Astrodome in Houston.

The state animal is the armadillo.

An interesting bit of trivia about armadillos is that they always have 4 babies. They have 1 egg which splits into 4 and they either have 4 males or 4 females. I never knew that either!!

I have alot more here but I think you get the picture!!

Scottyboy

Hey sotex,
Come to think of it, I would have to agree with you on my comment about Houston from yesterday. I forgot about Brownsville!!

REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

I thought every state's resdidents were as proud of theirs as Texans are of Texas! They are not?

The above posts are excellent and give good broad spectrum examples of the WHY.

Bottom line is that we have a lot to be proud of. I am sure every state could say the same if they looked for it.

Funniest true story about an outsider's view of Texas was when a friend of mine was on a plane with a group from Australia. He sat next to a girl that found out he was from Texas. She said: "You are from Texas? Do you own an oil well?" To which hs answered: "No, do you own a kangaroo".

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

God Blessed Texas! One of the many things I love about Texas is the diversity. We have a coastline, a desert, high plains, rolling hills in the hill country, pineywoods among other types of terrain. The people here in west Texas are some of the finest I have ever met, everybody waves to each other out here on the roads and the phrases "sir" and "maam" are not a thing of the past or a rare occurence, its a part of everyday vocabulary out here. Texas is unique in many ways as listed above but one of the things I love about Texas is the pride Texans take in their state. I may live in other states in the future but Texas will always be "home"

Drummond

you just described oregon drummond... LOL! Except you forgot the towering mountains, and the volcanoes.

Ive only been to dallas, and to tell you the truth it wasnt much. I can Name a whole lot of cities I like better... St. louis, New York, Seattle, Sacremanto, San Francisco, L.A., Portland, SLC, and a whole bunch more.

I was born in Memphis, Tenn, Lived in wyoming for a while, and was raised in Oregon. Id have to say Im more loyal to Oregon, but I am loyal to the others as well.

Thanks Texans,

That's kind of what I was looking for. The thought was sparked by a CD my Wife put in on the drive down to Albequerque for Easter and a nieces B-Day. It Was Lyle Lovett, The Road To Ensenada, "That's right, You're not from Texas".

I don't think I'm quite ready to exchange western Colorado for another state yet.

BeanMan

OldOregon, Hunt may have described Oregon but he left all the liberals out. You can't say that about Oregon.

The one thing I remembered about Texas was if you are driving down the road and come up behind someone they will pull over to the side of the road so you can pass them and keep going. At first I couldn't understand what was going on. But they were just being nice.

Fred,

In western CO you might be living in what was once a part of TX. You could be a Texan and not even know it! LOL

Drum

I was borna and raised in Colorado but my father was born in Plainview, my grandfather in Elida territory which was New Mexico then but before him 90% of our family was from Texas. Except for a couple generations before that they came from Louisiana or North Carolina.
Matter of fact any of you guys down south of Dallas in Commanche County, this was settled by much of my family (Stone Family). There is even an old cemetary where many of my ancestors are buried, the Stone Cemetary is what it is called.
We went to San Antonio a couple times, compared to other cities I was very impressed at how nice everyone seemed to be! I thought it was a nice place.

Beanman, No one has mentioned, quite possibly the most impresive aspect of Texas yet.

Walker..... Texas Ranger, staring Chuck Norris,
now you know what Im talkin bout !!!!!

Beanman, most assure-ad-ly, we both live in what was oncst part of Tex-ass.

I think it was hit on before...because Texas fought for their own independence they have a dif attitude. Also, I hear that Texas history is taught a bit dif. in school. so kids are brainwashed right from the get-go.

I moved to Texas after growing up in Southern California. One of the first things I noticed (and appreciated) was the pride that Texans have in their state. I just wish some of us would express our pride humbly and without implying that we're better than other states. I've run into too many people from the mountain states while hunting that assume I'm arrogant just because I have Texas plates on my truck. Anybody else encountered that?

By the way, Texas is a great place to live and raise a family.

WH

I have heard of people in the mointain states not liking Texans and thinking we are arrogant.
The way I have taken that is, and no offence to anyone, but I could care less what others think. I really think they are just jelous of our pride in our state.
Texas may not have the beautifull snow capped mountains they do but we do have our other beauties and our own mile high city in Big Bend.

"We must HUNT"

Since I moved out here to Tucson from west TX just a few months ago, I really noticed that the people really do think that all Texans are arrogant. When driving, I constantly am getting honked at and given the " evil eye" in traffic here in AZ. My new coworkers constantly give me sh!t about the way I talk and the different views I have on life and work. Now understand that all of this is in good fun and all, but you can really see a true Texan when you put him out of his home state and put him around a bunch of Arizonians and Californians, which is what I now work with! I just think they are all jeolous. Nice place, but definately not good ole' Tejas! I'm already trying to put in for a transfer to Uvalde ASAP!
Scottyboy

Some more about the greatest state in the Union.

Texas Facts

Texhoma to Brownsville 905 miles
Beaumont to El Paso: 884 miles
Beaumont to Chicago: 770 miles

World's first rodeo was in Pecos... July 4, 1883.

The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built
over water.

The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the
first
full time coach for Rice University, Houston.

Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North
America.

Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's only
remaining
flock of whooping cranes.

Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.

The worst natural disaster in U.S. history was in 1900 caused by a
hurricane
in which over 8000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.

The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was "Houston."

El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas.

Laredo is the world's largest inland port.

Tyler Municipal Rose Garden is the world's largest rose garden with over
38,000 bushes with 500 varieties on 22 acres.

The State shell is Lightning Whelk.

King Ranch is larger than Rhode Island.

Tropical Storm Claudette brought a U.S. rainfall record of 43" in 24
hours
in and around Alvin in July 1979.

Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, instead of by
annexation. (This allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the
US
flag.)

A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.

Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.

Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after Dr in
Dr
Pepper. dr pepper

Texas has had six capital cities .
1. Washington-on-the-Brazos
2. Harrisburg
3. Galveston
4. Velasco
5. West Columbia
6. Austin

The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S. which is taller
than
the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. (by 7 feet).

The name Texas comes from the Hasini Indian word "tejas" meaning
friends.
Tejas is not Mexican for Texas.

The State animal is the Armadillo. *

The first domed stadium in the U.S. was the Astrodome in Houston.

*An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have
four
babies! They have one egg which splits into four and they either have
four
males or four females

"We must HUNT"

I have heard that if we were to flatten
Colorado it would be larger than Texas. LOL

Maybe sometime I'll get down there to hunt quail and maybe Doves, I'vs also heard that can be pretty good in Tejas. Like to go somewhere where a guy could get a lot of shots in.

BeanMan

I cant believe nobody mentioned the most redeeming quality about the state of Texas... They have an overabundance of good lookin' women. I'm not even from there and I know that.

Here is what the hunters look like down in my part of Texas. These pics are of my fiancee. She took the whitetail a couple of years ago, and the blackbuck last year on a friends ranch. I just thought yall would enjoy....
Scottyboy
bonnies_wt.jpg

bonnies_blackbuck.jpg

Wow Scottyboy,

she even put her makeup on for the hunt. It's great to be able to share your hobby with your Spouse.

Cheers,

Beanman

DON'T GET ME STARTED...IT'S ONLY THE BEST STATE IN THE UNION FOR ALL KINDS OF REASONS.
THE PEOPLE ARE FRIENDLY AND HOSPITABLE, GOOD LOOKIN' WOMEN, GREAT LAKES, THE COAST, MOUNTAINS, DESERT,BIG WHITETAIL, DESERT MULIES, ANTELOPE, MOUNTAIN LION, DUCKS, GEESE, GREAT FISHING, HOGS, PREDATORS, ETC.
ALSO THE HOME OF GEORGE W. BUSH, A TRUE FAMILY MAN.
DON'T TAKE THIS WRONG, BUT I'VE ALWAYS HAVE HAD A SAYING..."THE TROUBLE WITH THIS COUNTRY IS THAT THERE ARE TOO MANY AMERICANS AND NOT ENOUGH TEXANS".
HEY I AM A TRUE AMERICAN, AND SUPPORT OUR GUYS AND GALS WHO DEDICATE THEMSELVES TO OUR GREAT COUNTRY. GOD BLESS THEM!
IT'S JUST A PRIDE THING, AND I THINK YOU NEED TO VISIT PLACES LIKE SAN ANTONIO, WEST TEXAS, SOUTH TEXAS, AND SOUTH PADRE ISLAND. THEN TELL ME WHY WE ARE SO PROUD OF WHERE WE LIVE.
YOUR FRIEND,
TEXHUNT

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom