What binos is everyone using?

Foreman4x4

Very Active Member
Things have been a little slow around here lately and I'm curious to know what binos you guys (and gals) are using and whether you're happy with them or looking to upgrade? If you're looking to upgrade, what are you looking at and why?

I have a new pair of Leica BRF (Binocular Range Finder) in 10x and two pair of Zeiss 10x40 Classics. All are great glass so no upgrade needed here.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I have way too many bino's, but I guess you could call me a bino nut. I have in the order I bought them Bushnell 7x35 customs with the thumb focus, 7x26 customs, 8x30 swar. 7x42 zeiss, 10x26 leica's, 10x42 leica's, 8x40 leitz,9x63 tasco titans,8x50leica's, 15x56swar. 8.5x42 swar. and 10x15x50 leica deovids. I mostly use the 8x40 leitz I carry them in my truck, the 9x63tasco titans i keep on a tripod in my house, I use the els for hunting when I'm walking the 8x50leica's when glassing from the truck along with the deovids. I sold the 15x56 swar' and the 10x42 leica's didn't like them. I would like to have a pair of the big Doctors 30x80 or the 20x50x80 to use on a tripod in my house.I guess a guy never has too many pair of binoculars.

Ron,
What are you looking at from your house? I know what it is you are checking the Kenai for Kings aren't you??

How are things up there now? Talked with my step-brother a few days ago when he called, he will probably be coming down soon as my Mom is not doing good now and I think he wants to see her before it is too late.

Brian

Brian, we have about 20 caribou cows over there right now, first calf born on the 17th. Saw a pair of coyotes trying to get the fawn last night the mother was finally able to run them off.Also have 9 moose cows they should be having their babies any day now, lots of ducks, geese and sand hill cranes.Also have a pair of white wolves they cleaned up on the caribou fawns last year. Been watching the F&G netting the river not many fish yet probably next week as we have some big tides then.Good luck in the draws.

I'm currently using Leupold Wind River 9x35 Porro-I.F. binos that I've had since 93 which I love, although this year I'm planning to get a pair of Ziess 10x40 classics.

hntnnut

Swarovski 10x42 SLC. Awesome glass, tough to keep clean (either that or the effect of the dirty glass is just more noticable because of the otherwise excelent optics).

Mark

I just bought a pair of the New Leupold Gold RIng 10x42' Pretty damn good glass very comparable to the big name stuff. Just about a grand less.
Dave

I have a pair of Brunton 10x42 Eternas that have served me well for the past three years. I am actually going to sell them so I can upgrade to the new 11x45 Eternas. As you can see I am a big fan of the Brunton company.
Henry

I recently picked up a pair of Bushnell Trophy (camo) in the 10x42 and I am happy with them both quality and price.

Fuji Polaris 7x50, Crooked Horn suspension required!
Can't get away from the view through them.
Interesting note from the NW corner of our country is that my brother-in-law uses 7x50 Swaro SL's and a hard hunting friend carries the same Fuji's I do. None of us talked to the other about it before getting them. I think it has to do with the many dark days of fall that can occur.
I'm too cheap to fork out a grand for any of the top roof prisms. If I were to get something different now I'd try the 7x40's Zeiss designs coming out of Eastern Europe for around $250 surplus.

Hello nice site you've got here.
I've been using 10x42 Bausch & Lomb Discoverers for the past 5 or 6 years, a couple weeks ago I upgraded to 8x42 Zeiss FL and they are awesome.

10x50 swaros....best hunting equipment I own
20x80 Steiners (nearly useless, they suck!!)

in 10/2003 I bought a pair of pentax 10x50 on sale from 712 to 350.00, then I got an additional 25% off of that bringing it to 262.50, then I had a gift cert for 150 dollars, so I got the 600 dollar binos for 112.50- thats a good deal. then this last september I was looking for the best pair of binos to help a friend get for his father- and I ended up buying an additional pair for myself, that screwed things up- lol. now I use my 10x50 leica trinovids, black rubber coated- they were NOT on sale and I had NO gift certificate, but since I bought 3 pairs of binos that day I got a fairly good deal- yes I did !!!!! I also bought my first good spotting scope- wow I love this thing- it is wonderfull !! it is a zeiss ats65, green, straight lens, with a 15-45 eyepiece. there was a special as well that if you bought the spotting scope you get a free tripod- HOLY CRAP !!!!! what a tripod, this thing weighs like 30 pounds, fully extended it makes the spotter over 6.5 feet tall. very cool, except this thing is too heavy to carry afield for any length of time- its heavy dammitt !!!!! I set it up in camp and we can see forever it seems- very cool !!!!! I also have a couple of pairs of simmons and bushnells in 10x50's I used prior to 2004 !
M WAITE, AZ.

I now use a swarovski 10x42 slc, excellent!, before those I have a minolta 10x50 which you can get by with but they are big, they were a replacement for my original minolta 10x50 which was stolen from my truck along with my Bausch and Lomb spotting scope. I believe that my original minolta bino was superior to the on I have now. Also bought an old Zeiss Jena 6x30 on ebay a while back with the idea of using it for hunting thick timber areas for elk and our sneaky whitetails here in the northwest, I have not tried that yet, as I'm spoiled by the 10x42 slc's.
Scott

I have a pair of Tasco 8x40 and a pair of Bushnell insta-visions. They work well for me and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

-Jefferey

Wind River 10X42. For the price I love them. I also like them because they are light. Perfect for hiking miles with my bow.

Swarovski 10x42 EL's!!! Leupold 10x40 If I lost my Swarovski's I would buy another pair the same day!!!Good Luck

Swarovski 10x42 SLC for the last few years. Just bought Leica Geovid 10x42 BRF earlier this month. Looking forward to being able to carry the new Leica binos without having to carry a separate range finder.

I need to update my earlier post, I now along with my wife am using matching 11x45 Brunton Eternas. I just picked them up this evening and all I can say is WOW! Bright, light and clear as a Colorado sky.

Got the Steiner Merlins 10X40 a couple weeks ago...seemed to me like great glass for the price...can't really notice a difference (in store) from the Predators except in the warranty length...good company, good glass, GREAT price...wanted to try the Bruntons but the price stopped me...next to Swarovskis, I think the Steiners felt the best in my hands...my $1.02

Leica 10X50/15X50

This glass has changed the way I hunt for spot and stalk. If I lost them today, I would bu another pair today -- they are that good.

I also have a pair of Leica 8X25 for Elk Hunts.

You can't go wrong with Leica, Zeiss, Swarsvoski, etc. -- don't skimp on your glass!

I have been using the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Series 10X42 for about a year now. They are awesome.

Lieca ultravid 12X50. There is a huge difference and you get what you pay for. Like others have said, If I lost them tomorrow I would sell other rifles to have another pair. Won't hunt without them.

Here is my setup of Swarovski 10x42 SLC.
bino1.jpg

bino2.jpg

10X50 Steiner Military Marine. Back up is an old 8X40 Pentax. Also have my dad's WWII 7X50 Zeiss Pena night ship-to-ship glasses. They're still OK. From my 22nd floor office I've spotted jackrabbits 800 yds. away in an old railyard field with them and the others.

The old B&L Discoverers in 10x42. They are every bit as bright as my buddys Swaros and they are the only bino I have run across that has a right eye adjustment on the center column. They have all of the coatings you need and a magnesium body for only $399. They are discontinued this year because Bushnell bought them out. Bushnell now sells them as their eilite series for just under $1000.

7x42 slc paid $437 for them like new off ebay, that was a steal.
8x43 SP Pentax Can't tell the difference between them and the slc. I use these now more than the Swarovski slc.
8x42 wp pentax $237 after rebate, probably one of the best buys out there.

15x58 Minox, haven't gotten to use them much yet, but they seem to do well off the tripod.

But when it comes down to it I should just keep one pair of binos because I use my spotting scopes 99% of the time when out glassing.

Got me another new toy the other day a pair of 30x75 Swarovski binoculars, these things are awesome. Some of you long range spotters should take a look at these if you can find a pair, a little heavy at 8.4 lbs. but awesome binoculars.

Brian, I got them off E-Bay they don't make them anymore I was told they were too expensive and they sold very few. They sure are nice here on the river I can tell what the guides are using a mile off.

Swarovski 8.5 X 42 ELs. Brightest, clearest glass I've ever looked through. Fantastic in low light early in the morning or in last evening light. You will never regret owning a pair.

Leica Duovid 10/15x50. 10 power around the neck and 15 on the tripod. I have not found a better set up. I did, however, sell my 10x42 slc but it wasn't because they weren't awesome. Didn't want to carry 2 sets of binos into the HC.

Mike

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-07 AT 07:56PM (MST)[p]Sold my Zeiss 10x40 ClassiC's and Leica 1200 LRF and just took delivery of a Leica 10x42 Geovid BRF this afternoon. I can't wait to get out and use them in the field!

10x50 tasco's. I'd like to check out the new Swift ultras, of course one day I hope to get a pair of leicas.

Same as cabinfever Leica 10/15 Duovids. 10x for handholding and 15x off the tripod. Best bino for me. For bowhunting 8x32 swarovski.

Brunton 10x42 and Brunton 10x32.
They are all I need for bino's.
Saving up for the Brunton Spotter to complete my outfit.
Best,
Jerry
44f4e09309b4a917.jpg

Minox 8-14x40mm ED. One pair of binos that does everything I need now. I got them a few months ago and have used them in the field and love their versitility, but at a fraction of a price of the 10-15 Leica. The disadvantage is the 40mm objective compared to the 50mm in lower light light so you get more time out of the Leica. But not worth the price difference unless you use $100 bills to wipe! If you get a chance to look through them do it. I think you will be just as suprised as my buddies who own Leica and Swaro that have looked through them.

Rackem

INTERVIEW WITH GOD
http://www.livingwaters.com/interview/index.shtml

Swarovski 10x42's and 15x56's.

Curious to know how many hunt with the rubber covers and eye piece covers attached? I don't.

Minox 10x42 BL's from Doug. Great glass for the money and awesome to look through!

Michael
"What I could do, I was doing, and that was simply putting my butt on the line for my country, the country that I loved, so that all the protestors and the academics and the liberal intelligentsia back home could enjoy the right to protest against people like me, the hated middleclass." --Gary R. Smith, US Special Forces

Swarovski New SLCs in 10x42. This past season was my first season to hunt with them, and I can't believe how much I wasn't seeing before. Money well spent in my opinion.

Don't laugh. 10x50 Redfields. Gonna have 15x56 Swaro's before next season. Convinced myself 2 years ago in the Rubies that was the way to go and didn't draw a decent tag last season so I procrastinated. NO More though.

Cabelas Alaskan Guide 12x50s and Leupold Wind River Pinnacles 10x42. The Cabelas binos are pretty good. I'm really considering buying thier new Euro's - looks like they are made by Meopta. They are only available in 10x42s - wish they'd come out with some 12x50s. Anybody have them?

Cabelas Euros. Did a lot of research, and decided they sounded like what I was after. After I got them, I compared them to the "Big 3", Minox, and Pentax (Those were my narrowed down choices). Through my eyes, they were better than the Minox, Pentax, and Zeis Conquests (Consideraby better...IMHO). Swaros and Leicas may have been a little better (very little...), but just not $400.00 better. Please keep in mind I have 20/40, so maybe my eyes are not good enough to take advantage of the Swaros and Leicas???

Swarovski SLC 8x30, sometimes I wish I had bought the 10x, but I won't spend that when I can just borrow the wife's binos! Just got the SLCs back from the service center for their first makeover in 7 years, they look brand new, and with no charge!!!

Leupold wind river mesa's. I'm loving em' always just uded 8 power rangefinder. I never knew what i was missing.

Henry,

I have two pairs of Bruntons now and it's a little late but their warranty scares me because it's not a "No Fault" warranty like others...do have any experience using Brunton's warranty?

Thanks

Kilowatt,

Looks like you are using Binolinks to attach your covers to the glass,(post #45) great idea. I use them on all of my optics.

I can't tell you how many time they have came in handy on the mtn.

mtngoat

I just got Swarovski EL 10 x42's but also have Nikon Monarchs 10x42's

If someone is looking for great binos for $900 get the Cabelas Euors or the Meopta's(they make the Cabela Euros) great glass for the money and a Europeon brand

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

I have three pairs that i use.. Nikon ATB 10x42, Zeizz 10x50, vortex Razors 10x42.. The vortex are the best by a long shot

Swarovski 10x42 Els, they never leave my chest
I want the 15x56 and a Hd spotting scope but I have yet to find a buyer for one of my kidneys

I'll throw a curve into this chat. I recently purchased Minox 10X52 and have found their clarrity top notch... Great in low light conditions. Not the most comfortable eye pieces. Paid around $900.

At the same time my buddy bought some Alpens (10X50). He only paid $300. While the Minox ever so slightly better, I wouldn't pay the extra money for them again. Alpen makes a very nice product for the price.

Vortex Razors 8x42. I am extremely happy with them.

"Easy now, keep the croshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze the trigger"

I have a couple, 10x42 bushnell, 16x70 fujinon, 15x45 zeiss, 12x42 cascade leopold, And Today I just bought 15x56 swaros, and in the mail I have 10x42 leopold goldrings hd.

I have Swarovski SLC 10X42, 15X56 and rangefinder and Zeiss 85MM spotter - don't always use it all all the time (depends on the situation).

Have my old pair of 8X30 Steiners in my truck.

My work truck has 7X35 Bushnell

Also have Pentax 20X60 in the camp trailer - nothing wrong with them, just never use them anymore

>Henry,
>
>I have two pairs of Bruntons
>now and it's a little
>late but their warranty scares
>me because it's not a
>"No Fault" warranty like others...do
>have any experience using Brunton's
>warranty?
>
>Thanks

I have sent 2 back to Brunton. No problems. They replaced them with new binocs. In fact, once they upgraded them no charge. Great company, great glass for the price.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom