What Calls Do You Use?

slamdunk

Rounding up my "Dr Doolittle" swag today, going through all my various reeds and prepping for my LE Elk hunter coming up.

I rely on the "Big 3" brands, Slayer, Phelps and Rocky Mountain.
Having judged the owners and pro staffers many times for the Utah State and RMEF World championships, one cannot deny the quality in these products.

I've used about everything out there over my hunting and guiding career but the competition between these three brands just continues to get better and better.
Screenshot_20230805_191132_Gallery.jpg

Rounding up my "Dr Doolittle" swag today, going through all my various reeds and prepping for my LE Elk hunter coming up.

Having judged the owners and pro staffers many times for the Utah State and RMEF World championships, one cannot deny the quality in these products.

I've used about everything out there over my hunting and guiding career but the competition between these three brands just continues to get better and better.
View attachment 116863
Cool.

Started With reeds!

That's All There Was Back In The Day!

But Look at This Evolution/Technology Of Today!

We Might Need Another Committee!

View attachment 116863
cool.. indeed. Perty much a statement, but ?

Calls are cheating and give you an unfair advantage. Technology committee should add that to their list of chit that needs to be illegal

Electronic calls are banned for ungulate and bird hunting so although everybody is bustin Slams balls about this, the DWR (and most states) have put rules in place because E callers do give an unfair advantage so um yeah, you're right and action was taken to limit SOME calls. Nobody wants to take mouth calls away.

The takeaway here is that we can regulate stuff and then stop at a certain level we deem 'fair'. Slippery slope fallacies abound around here.

As to your question Slam--you have all the tools ya need, now it's more about if ya know how to use em

Rocky Mountain and Phelps for me. Have that metal bugle tube from Phelps, the handheld cow call from Phelps, and various diaphragms from Rocky and Phelps. Although for my upcoming hunt it's looking like we'll be straight Phelps in the bag. I've really liked the Maverik, AMP White, and AMP Grey diaphragms.

Electronic calls are banned for ungulate and bird hunting so although everybody is bustin Slams balls about this, the DWR (and most states) have put rules in place because E callers do give an unfair advantage so um yeah, you're right and action was taken to limit SOME calls. Nobody wants to take mouth calls away.

The takeaway here is that we can regulate stuff and then stop at a certain level we deem 'fair'. Slippery slope fallacies abound around here.

As to your question Slam--you have all the tools ya need, now it's more about if ya know how to use em
I can make a few elk sounds ?

Thank you for your comments, you're a gentleman and a scholar ?

Rocky Mountain and Phelps for me. Have that metal bugle tube from Phelps, the handheld cow call from Phelps, and various diaphragms from Rocky and Phelps. Although for my upcoming hunt it's looking like we'll be straight Phelps in the bag. I've really liked the Maverik, AMP White, and AMP Grey diaphragms.
Maverick is my fave

It’s ok if they ban the Hoochie Mama, I’ll just pull the squeaky out of the dogs chew toy and use it?

I'm old school. I'm sill using some old Wayne Carlton reeds and carry an ACE-1 Sceery cow call around my neck.

I found a hoochie while elk hunting a while back but don't care for the sound it makes.

How many of you other old timers remember growing up and using the "ELK TALK" calls? I still have a VHS tape of Don Laubach calling in all kinds of bulls with those calls with Gordon Eastman narrating. But I'm pretty sure that video was probably taped inside Jellystone Park back in the good old days when there were elk behind every tree!

1691445747103.png

I used a cow talker to take my first elk. Squealed real loud, the herd stopped, One of our group fired, dead elk. I called again, they stopped again, shot a cow elk, then called a third time. The elk stopped again. Another of our group shot, three dead elk!

I'm old school. I'm sill using some old Wayne Carlton reeds and carry an ACE-1 Sceery cow call around my neck.

I found a hoochie while elk hunting a while back but don't care for the sound it makes.

How many of you other old timers remember growing up and using the "ELK TALK" calls? I still have a VHS tape of Don Laubach calling in all kinds of bulls with those calls with Gordon Eastman narrating. But I'm pretty sure that video was probably taped inside Jellystone Park back in the good old days when there were elk behind every tree!

View attachment 117053
Sceery Ace one!
Been using it for probably 30 years and is the best cow call I’ve ever heard!

Had AT&T but didn't get reception I wanted on the mtn and in the duckblind so I switched to Verizon... Much better.

I need to check out some of Wayne Carlton’s new stuff under the “native” brand, I think his son Mark is still making calls down in Montrose. He is a friend of a friend so if they work I imagine I will be giving him some business

They'll be bugling, but not looking for a fight.
I'll use bugles as a locator.
Cow calls will be key.
Last year my step dad had the tag. It was fun. We saw some very good bulls and still some good action. If he wasnt 77 years old and less mobile, we would have got him a good one. Saw several nice shooters, but not the mobility. HE shot a sub 300 inch 5x6 bull from the road and he was tickled to death. Ill be there again this year for the same hunt. May see you there. IF I do, Ill come shake your hand!

View attachment 116863
Slammy…….. you pack a big pair of Snickers. I got to hand it to you bud, you do like to shove it up our butts, classic FU meme right there. Great post! ???

Not sure, Rocky Mountain maybe?

Probably ought to get a new one since I'll be accompanying a guy on his Valles Caldera bowhunt this Sept...

I was worried my Carlton calls weren't going to call in any elk until I got to the second half of this thread. The Wyoming elk thought they were gonna hear me coming a mile away using Carltons but I now have some confidence. :) I didn't know every elk sounded like a Phelps or a Rocky Mountain call....

Last year my step dad had the tag. It was fun. We saw some very good bulls and still some good action. If he wasnt 77 years old and less mobile, we would have got him a good one. Saw several nice shooters, but not the mobility. HE shot a sub 300 inch 5x6 bull from the road and he was tickled to death. Ill be there again this year for the same hunt. May see you there. IF I do, Ill come shake your hand!
You're always welcome in my camp Sir!

I was worried my Carlton calls weren't going to call in any elk until I got to the second half of this thread. The Wyoming elk thought they were gonna hear me coming a mile away using Carltons but I now have some confidence. :) I didn't know every elk sounded like a Phelps or a Rocky Mountain call....
My son has one of those GIANT wine bottle phelps tubes. I give him crap all the time that it is bigger than his damm pack - LOL. last year he actually had an issue with that thing on his pack getting caught up in some brush as he was putting the final sneak on a bull and it cost him a shot. My old fashioned "little" 18" flexible, corrugated grunt tube has never let me down (y)

like the saying goes - if it aint broke, dont fix it!:ROFLMAO:

My son has one of those GIANT wine bottle phelps tubes. I give him crap all the time that it is bigger than his damm pack - LOL. last year he actually had an issue with that thing on his pack getting caught up in some brush as he was putting the final sneak on a bull and it cost him a shot. My old fashioned "little" 18" flexible, corrugated grunt tube has never let me down (y)

like the saying goes - if it aint broke, dont fix it!:ROFLMAO:
I was getting in close to some elk in 2020 when I had the Monroe tag....it was freezing cold and I had a cow call that my Dad had given me prior to starting my stalk on these elk. When I started seeing the cows, I tried using the cow call but it was frozen!! LOL. Maybe there is something to be said about other calls but I tossed the one my Dad lent me.

I used a cow talker to take my first elk. Squealed real loud, the herd stopped, One of our group fired, dead elk. I called again, they stopped again, shot a cow elk, then called a third time. The elk stopped again. Another of our group shot, three dead elk!
You sure they weren’t slowelk?

And just for the record 9 times out of 10 you're better off not calling at all if you're after really big smart bulls my 2 cents
I agree, but there are those prime incidents when a cow call turns into a widow maker.
I primarily use bugling as a locator.

Just tools in my toolbox if the need arises.

I got to visit the rocky mountain hunting calls offices this summer. I enjoyed talking to those guys and the calls I bought from them have been easy to master and sound pretty good to me.

View attachment 117053
I've got one of those old original cow talk calls myself. Never could make em sound too elky.

However I bought 3 or 4 Larry D Jones imitator calls that were probably a little older than the cow talk one. Late 70's early 80's I'd say.

I bought that many because I know my knack for losing things in the mountains and after losing one last fall I'm down to my last one.

Called a lot of bulls in with them and other than an occasional cow call that's all I've ever used.

I use Rocky Mtn as well when I'm attempting to alert elk to where tge human is??

@slamdunk, ever notice the same guys that cried about bait, cried about cams, cry about scopes? Props to you for giving them a chance to expose themselves

Hey Slam, I went and got me a bugle and some reeds based on this thread. I've been practicing (driving my wife nuts) and they sure work great. The reeds I got are both "advanced" and they sound great.! Appreciate the thread and recommendations.!

Hey Slam, I went and got me a bugle and some reeds based on this thread. I've been practicing (driving my wife nuts) and they sure work great. The reeds I got are both "advanced" and they sound great.! Appreciate the thread and recommendations.!
The "Maverick" by Phelps is my favorite.

I am one of the panel judges for the RMEF World and State championships, these arenas are where I learned about these particular calls.

The best use the best ?

The "Maverick" by Phelps is my favorite.

I am one of the panel judges for the RMEF World and State championships, these arenas are where I learned about these particular calls.

The best use the best ?
That’s a rather subjective statement.

That’s a rather subjective statement.
No, I am not pushing a particular call or brand for any reason.
When did it become subjective to talk about brands?
Guess Founder has hundreds of various posts to go through and delete in every forum ?‍♂️

Rocky Mtn. The Remedy ( cow ) and the brown one, raging bull I think for bugles. The high dome ones make me gag, ha ha.
I don't use the big hoochie anymore since I took the time to learn diaphragms, but mouth call cow mews with the baby hoochie combo has worked well. Just practice in the truck to not drive people nuts.

No, I am not pushing a particular call or brand for any reason.
When did it become subjective to talk about brands?
Guess Founder has hundreds of various posts to go through and delete in every forum ?‍♂️
I am assuming (because I truly believe you are a relatively genuine and intelligent individual) that you misread the statement there.

I did not imply you were pushing a brand, and I could care less about it if you were.

I was talking about your implication that “the best use the best” which would be your own opinion for a multitude of reasons. Therefore it’s a subjective statement, as there is no factual basis behind the statement.

I am assuming (because I truly believe you are a relatively genuine and intelligent individual) that you misread the statement there.

I did not imply you were pushing a brand, and I could care less about it if you were.

I was talking about your implication that “the best use the best” which would be your own opinion for a multitude of reasons. Therefore it’s a subjective statement, as there is no factual basis behind the statement.
Pardon my confusion, but I'm really not comprehending your point here.

The best do use the best available products ?‍♂️

-Edit
Upon pondering your comment, maybe you thought I was implying I am one of "the best"?

Absolutely not, if that's the case.

I use and believe in those brands because I see and hear the champions on stage using and endorsing them.

Last edited:
Pardon my confusion, but I'm really not comprehending your point here.

The best do use the best available products ?‍♂️

-Edit
Upon pondering your comment, maybe you thought I was implying I am one of "the best"?

Absolutely not, if that's the case.

I use and believe in those brands because I see and hear the champions on stage using and endorsing them.
But the stump said the skunk stunk and skunk said the stump stunk, which one stunk the stump or the skunk???......Ponder on that and get back to me. Also why no love for the Primos Cash Cow? Only call you need!

But the stump said the skunk stunk and skunk said the stump stunk, which one stunk the stump or the skunk???......Ponder on that and get back to me. Also why no love for the Primos Cash Cow? Only call you need!
If you zoom in on my box of reeds, you'll see a few Primos products in there......

Actually, not too many elk sound “perfect”.
Nope, you are absolutely ? correct.
The elk calling contest I judge are what we as humans think are perfect, not what an elk thinks is perfect.

And in reality, a big gnarly bull will push his cows away from a perfect sounding bull, he doesn't want a fight, he's already got what he wants.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom