What did everyone put in for?

M

massey_muley

I changed my mind like a million times but ended up doing 2nd choice hunts to retain my pref points. Should have 3 res points for next year and hopefully a couple tags for 2011!

DM07402R-really hoping i can find a decent mature buck on this hunt
EE06401R
Sheep PP
Goat PP

Good luck to everyone!
-Z

Thought about 851 bear, but heard that unit has gone downhill the last few years...point for me.

DM054O3R

If I don't draw this year, I'm going to take my 6 NR PP's and put in for a great archery hunt next year.

Deer unit 61 3rd season with 7 NR points, which equals a point.

Elk unit 61 1st rifle season with 15 NR points, which equals a point or maybe a sligth chance with a lot of luck.

Antelope unit 3 with 14 NR points, which should mean I'm hunting Colorado speed goats this year.

Points for all three sons and my wife for Antelpoe, Elk & Deer for future hunts!!!

Good luck to all in the draws!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-11 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]Deer Unit 30 2nd season with 3 points. Probably won't draw.

Elk points only because I ponied up $250 in NM to get in outfitter pool. My 3rd choice had 100% draw rate last year. I have 14 CO Rosie O'Donnell points.

Pronghorn points only so my g/f can go with me next year. I have 14 points going for unit 3. Now watch CO change the rules to cheapen my nonresident points and screw me.

Sheep unit 12 rifle with 11 weighted points.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-11 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]Unit 99 archery deer (slam dunk draw)
Unit 201 Muzzy bull (No chance with 10 points)
Unit 104 Muzzy buck antelope (50/50 chance to draw)
Bosque del Oso rifle bear (no chance with 7 points)
Unit 7 Muzzy bull moose (between slim and none with 6 weighted points)
Unit 32 rifle ram (between slim and none with 6 weighted points)
Goat (final year of my 5 year waiting period)

I'm 0 for 5 in draws so far this spring but maybe my luck will change!

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud"

Points only for this year. Gonna try to burn my elk points in 2013. May do an OTC hunt this year if I don't draw in NM.

Phantom Hunter

archery antelope 11 points
archery elk
archery deer 99
desart bighorn all i have left big colrado 10 if realy lucky

Same as Zin 30 second season with 4 point.Not sure if was the best pick but we will see.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-11 AT 10:35PM (MST)[p]>Same as Zim 30 second season
>with 4 point.Not sure if
>was the best pick but
>we will see.

Oops I was wrong. I also have 4 points (NR) so we will both see. Due to the 80/20 reg just want to burn my deer points before they get to the 6 point threshold and start losing their value.

2nd Season Deer GMU 2 and PP for elk. If I draw out I'm never going to play the points game again in Colorado.

The 20% units are marked in the regulations. They require 5 points as a resident for several years, no matter how many nonresident points are required. So you aren't close to the 20% cutoff yet...

I pointed deer and elk due to what I have/expect in WY and did G4 and S3 with max weighted.

Elmer, Oh, OK thanks. It's a bit much for me to keep up with all these system changes. After waiting 10 years last time to burn my points, I decided it's not worth it anyway. For me it's better to hunt a mediocre unit on a more frequent basis, especially with such a short season where weather can screw you. If I don't like this one I'll likley try a 2 or 3 point unit next time.

Pronghorn will get it.

Deer Will get it.

Sheep on my 5year wait, but this will be point 2.

Elk 061, Don't care if I draw since I have a great OTC spot. Would be nice to draw since points suck!

Bear will pick up in August

Goat 3+7

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-11
>AT 10:35?PM (MST)

>
>>Same as Zim 30 second season
>>with 4 point.Not sure if
>>was the best pick but
>>we will see.
>
>Oops I was wrong. I
>also have 4 points (NR)
>so we will both see.
> Due to the 80/20
>reg just want to burn
>my deer points before they
>get to the 6 point
>threshold and start losing their
>value.

I did not draw it last year with 3 points. Let me know how you do.

Geeeeez you Crybaby Wusses,

30 second season is a good hunt by todays standards for any state. Just as good as many NV October hunts that you can't draw. Tough rugged country, thick brush, rimrock, thick conifers up high.......plus ya actually gotta work to find a decent buck. Winterkill has hurt this unit in the last few years.....but mature bucks are there. I looked hard at this hunt this year myself.

If ya'll want a gimme hunt this year for a decent muley.......then stay home and drink yer hooch and ##### on this forum. If'n ya wanna climb and glass and hunt for 9 days....and sit on yer thick butt pad and glass the thick, mid-level oakbrush....and then move to the lowest level PJ/Sage during the last few days of the season......then get to 30 and give it a whirl.

Sheeeesh you Crybabys. There is no free lunch when it comes to older muleys! Things are tough all over muley country these days......and they won't get better. Get in deeper.....or get out.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-11 AT 11:12PM (MST)[p]Whiskeyman, you trade in your whiskey for weed? It seems your only function on MM is to wander around stirrin up trouble 24/7. Did you get beat up in high school or sumthin? I am kinda surprised a moderator hasn't booted you yet.

I had to laugh at this last post of yours. At 51 I run 6 miles/day, 5 days/week. I still school college kids at basketball. They still ask if I played division I. On my last hunt out west, I was hauling my 350 7/8" backpack archery bull down the mountain and got stopped by several locals. They sought advice of course, and I offered much specific info. However, none were willing to go where I went to take my bull. Too far, too steep and nasty for them. Well, At least I tried.

My posts on the CO system were about draw strategy, nothing else. Given the point cheapening all states are doing these days, anyone who doesn't have a strategy is handicapping themselves.

Caz, how are you on your 5 year waiting period and still have 2 points collected again? Maybe I am misunderstanding your post???
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

WM, Forgot to mention I have never owned an ATV. Bought one of those cheap 35mm trailcams once about 15 years ago for my son's science project, but it got stolen anyway. Does that qualify me as a high-tech hunter?

Just applied for a DIY NM Pecos wilderness hunt in unit 45 where we will be backpacking 5 miles in if drawn.

I guess my post was a bit weird. As you most likely know, you're really out of the game after killing a ram for 9 years.

You have to wait five, then aquire the 3 points. That's where I'm at, past my five year wait, but will get point number 2 this year. In 2013 I'll be back in the game.

>Geeeeez you Crybaby Wusses,
>
>30 second season is a good
>hunt by todays standards for
>any state. Just as
>good as many NV October
>hunts that you can't draw.
> Tough rugged country, thick
>brush, rimrock, thick conifers up
>high.......plus ya actually gotta work
>to find a decent buck.
> Winterkill has hurt this
>unit in the last few
>years.....but mature bucks are there.
> I looked hard at
>this hunt this year myself.
>
>
>If ya'll want a gimme hunt
>this year for a decent
>muley.......then stay home and drink
>yer hooch and ##### on
>this forum. If'n ya
>wanna climb and glass and
>hunt for 9 days....and sit
>on yer thick butt pad
>and glass the thick, mid-level
>oakbrush....and then move to the
>lowest level PJ/Sage during the
>last few days of the
>season......then get to 30 and
>give it a whirl.
>
>Sheeeesh you Crybabys. There is
>no free lunch when it
>comes to older muleys! Things
>are tough all over muley
>country these days......and they won't
>get better. Get in
>deeper.....or get out.

Whiskey,

I'm not crying, I hope I draw. Ive always liked the looks of 30 and can't wait to see whats inside. I'm not sure how many elk hunters will be around but I hope to get away from the atv crowd in that mid level. I can pass 170 deer all day every day so we will see how it goes.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-11 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]skipbuck,

When I lived in GJ I knew some hunters that whacked several great bucks in 30 during second season in the lower country. One was 34" and 190+.....great buck. Since the BLM sued the landowner and got the Prairie Canyon Road opened up again, there is some better access to that part of the unit along the UT border. Also talked with a Rangely local in 2009 who had seen two mid-30's bucks in the summer range of 30 that year. If you draw, PM me and I'll give ya some more of what I know. Great choice in unit for the # of points it takes. Good luck.

Hey Zimbo...... this info and offer ain't for you. Hope you will have a grand total of 375 preference points after this years draw.

Hey Wiskbo......Why on god's green earth would anyone trust any "inside information" you blurt via the internet.

Since you have numerous posts criticising high tech hunting, exactly why would you be utilizing the internet to spread your expert unit analysis to anyone? Don't you think all those drawing unit 30 should do it the hard way.........earn it by climbing, glassing, stalking solo? Isn't that the Whiskbo way?

So Skipbo wants to make an exception to his own anti-high tech doctrine??? Say it ain't so!

>Hey Wiskbo......Why on god's green earth
>would anyone trust any "inside
>information" you blurt via the
>internet.
>
>Since you have numerous posts criticising
>high tech hunting, exactly why
>would you be utilizing the
>internet to spread your expert
>unit analysis to anyone?
>Don't you think all those
>drawing unit 30 should do
>it the hard way.........earn it
>by climbing, glassing, stalking solo?
> Isn't that the Whiskbo
>way?
>
>So Skipbo wants to make an
>exception to his own anti-high
>tech doctrine??? Say it
>ain't so!

Zim-a-rama,

Maybe cuz I'm a WYSIWYG???

The sheer number of honest forum questions and PM's I have received during this application season speaks to my knowledge and sincerity. I enjoy interacting with sincere, honest hunters. Just be honest with me, and I'm an easy sell.........I'll likely tell ya what I know. Notice how I assist the low-profile, sincere ones on this open forum. the experienced hunters.......don't post but just PM.....which is fine as well.

I don't criticize high-tech hunting........I just identify and label those who are sorry-a$$ human beings. Difference.

All you do, Zim-Stud.....is be a world record crybaby cuz ya can't draw a tag in this day and age........AFTER MAKING AT LEAST ONE BABY who you've encouraged to hunt and play this hugely overpopulated game. Zim, just how do ya rationalize in yer mememememe mind willingly overpopulating this planet.........while complaining about lack of opportunity in hunting that has a very limited resource? Seriously Dude.

Whisk-a-rama!

These are your words cut and pasted from the "What are they thinking!?" thread in the MM Arizona forum:

"Trailcams are a substitute for using game knowledge and physical conditioning and time away from the couch and big-screen in order to locate the living room of a big animal. Trailcams are used all in the name of laziness and $$$ by City folk who cut corners every chance they get in life.

Trailcams on water holes in the arid Arizona country is the most chickensheet way of scouting on this planet. I'm glad a movement is in place to keep you fawkers on your couch full time."

AND NOW YOU POST:
"I don't criticize high-tech hunting........I just identify and label those who are sorry-a$$ human beings."

WHISK-A-RAMA! Who ya crappin???!!!

You just been caught red handed boy.

All you do, Whisk-Stud.....is be a world record crybaby cuz ya don't use trailcams. And FYI, I have 3 sons, none of whom hunt at all, nor play this hugely overpopulated game. So once again who ya crappin? You don't know me nor my sons. To make wild a$$ accusations about people you have never met.........pulease. Put the weed down son.

All you do is complain about high tech hunters. As I mentioned previously. I am 51 yet run 30 miles per week minimum. On top of that I still play basketball at a college level, and during summers bike an additional 20-50 miles/week. I severely doubt you could keep up with me regardless of your age. I have not met one other hunter yet who could. Your guru hunting advice would be worthless to me because I prefer to hunt where others cannot and will not go.

Area 61 1st rifle Bull Elk with 16 NR PP's. I hope that I finally draw. I'll be 68 years old this Fall and the hills are steeper.

Before you die.....Take time to live

Hey Velvetmonster thanks for getting this thread back on track. I mean just kidding, I like to hear about 4 of Monstermuleys members argue on every freaking thread.

54 Elk archery as a 2nd choice. Point option for choice 1.

I should draw it based on the stats don't you think?

Bill

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-11 AT 07:53AM (MST)[p]>Hey Velvetmonster thanks for getting this
>thread back on track. I
>mean just kidding, I like
>to hear about 4 of
>Monstermuleys members argue on every
>freaking thread.

massey, It's not 4 MM members that are the problem.......just one. WM crashed this thread and many, many others. Go look. Really have to wonder why the moderator doesn't take out the trash and boot that guy.

Good luck to everyone in the draw, regardess of your drawing strategies.

Dreaming for unit 2 elk (6 points)
deer 1 point, will draw
antelope doe (2nd choice), should draw
moose 28, 3 points dreaming
mnt goat, 13 2nd season if I remember right, 3 points
bighorn 3 points

For some reason I am feeling really lucky, the last time I had this feeling was when I drew a expo tag...just maybe :)

Best of luck to everyone, except for the ones who put in for the same hunt as me ;-)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>Whisk-a-rama!
>
>These are your words cut and
>pasted from the "What are
>they thinking!?" thread in the
>MM Arizona forum:
>
>"Trailcams are a substitute for using
>game knowledge and physical conditioning
>and time away from the
>couch and big-screen in order
>to locate the living room
>of a big animal. Trailcams
>are used all in the
>name of laziness and $$$
>by City folk who cut
>corners every chance they get
>in life.
>
>Trailcams on water holes in the
>arid Arizona country is the
>most chickensheet way of scouting
>on this planet. I'm glad
>a movement is in place
>to keep you fawkers on
>your couch full time."
>
>AND NOW YOU POST:
>"I don't criticize high-tech hunting........I just
>identify and label those who
>are sorry-a$$ human beings."
>
>
>WHISK-A-RAMA! Who ya crappin???!!!
>
>You just been caught red handed
>boy.
>
>All you do, Whisk-Stud.....is be a
>world record crybaby cuz ya
>don't use trailcams. And
>FYI, I have 3 sons,
>none of whom hunt at
>all, nor play this hugely
>overpopulated game. So once
>again who ya crappin?
>You don't know me nor
>my sons. To make
>wild a$$ accusations about people
>you have never met.........pulease.
>Put the weed down son.
>
>
>All you do is complain about
>high tech hunters. As
>I mentioned previously. I am
>51 yet run 30 miles
>per week minimum. On
>top of that I still
>play basketball at a college
>level, and during summers bike
>an additional 20-50 miles/week.
>I severely doubt you could
>keep up with me regardless
>of your age. I
>have not met one other
>hunter yet who could.
>Your guru hunting advice would
>be worthless to me because
>I prefer to hunt where
>others cannot and will not
>go.

If i was a college coach i'd probably start recruiting you after reading this statement lol All kidding aside It cracks me up how a single person or two can come in and ruin an entire thread. Like honestly, the thread was started to ask what everyone put in for this year. Not to boast and puff you're chest out about how much we know and how many man miles we run a week and play basketball with the college boys... like honestly I could give two sh*ts. Fact of the matter here is everyone likes to hunt and we all have different ways of going about it and preparing for it. Zim- seems like you're a mule with thumbs, so I figure you wont need any help from the experts. Best of luck to you this year!

Back to the point heres my hunts;
e/s archery statewide elk
2nd season unit 10 cow
muzz buck unit 43
PP antelope.. hoping for 3/301 one of these days
Archery bear unit 41
Moose PP
Sheep PP
Goat PP

>massey, It's not 4 MM members
>that are the problem.......just one.
> WM crashed this thread
>and many, many others.
>Go look. Really have
>to wonder why the moderator
>doesn't take out the trash
>and boot that guy.

Zim-

When I said "4 MM members" I meant (in general)that there are a handful of MM members that CONSTANTLY start negative and egotistical arguments that kill harmless, fun threads. It is definitely more than ONE person.

Maybe we can all just remember, "Never argue with an idiot......they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Stay classy MonsterMuleys!

62 3rd with 3 NR pts. should be enough to draw I hope. I hunted it in 07 and had a great hunt. Didn't kill any monsters. my buddy killed a 172 inch good looking 4pt.

Put in for 5th PP's for deer and elk for my oldest son.

I put my middle son in for unit 30 second season deer with 3 points. Probably won't draw but miracles happen occasionally. We are actually planning for this hunt next year. Put him in for his 4th PP for elk.

For myself I am getting my 3rd PP for Mt Goat. Unit 76 archery elk with 9 points (probably a 50/50 chance). Also did unit 30 second season deer with only 1 point - wont draw but hoping to draw a high country muzzy tag as a second choice.

put in for 12th PP elk and deer. Had my father with same points put in for 40 elk muzzy. He is 70 and we decided its time to cash his points in. I am more excited than i would be if i had put in for a tag, now we just have to draw it. And hope its not 89 degrees and sunny!

Off topic,

I like WhiskeyMan's posts, he has trouble staying exactly on topic but i actually find myself scrolling through long posts ignoring many posts to read what he says. though, Its common for me to like some people who many people for whatever reason dislike. While I find many people who seem to be adored by most make my skin crawl. Go figure.

Ryan V

I put in for an archery deer tag in unit 49, then second choice is an archery tag in 35,36,45 which I should definitely draw.

Another pref point for elk. Moving me to 7 PP, waiting to use them until I become a resident.

If I tag out early on deer, I may get an OTC elk tag.

pp for deer

10 points nr, unit 67 muzzy elk, crossing my fingers

Dad put in for 67 muzzy deer, he also put in for unit 2 elk 1st rifle, he has 20 points, 1 in 8 chance to draw.

CB,

"like honestly I could give two sh*ts." - Uhhhhhh......My post was obviously directed to WM.......not you.

WM loves to post how every hunter east of CO is a couch potato wanting the easy way out. Just pointing out how rediculous that is.

Good luck in the draws and have a nice day.

Burned my elk points last year.
PP only for me this year Deer, Elk, Moose and Pronghorn.
OTC bull third season.

I want to focus this year on getting my kids into a bull this year. Last year, they both took a late season cow. What a thrill that was. Being with them for their first was far better than any memories I have of my personal hunts.

Well results will be out soon, but for many applying for borderline hunts your chances may be slim. Quotas were lowered in many units. Quotas in my unit 30 were lowered 12%. That should knock me out of the box.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom