What do I need to start reloading?

MichaelJ

Very Active Member
Ok, I have a 30-06 that I want to start reloading. I have no knowledge on any of this. What all do I need? Can I use the same equipment to reload .308 and 30-30? Thanks.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Go to a sporting good store and they should have a "starter kit" from makers like RCBS OR HORNADY. Then get the reloading dies for the calibers. They should have a reloading Manual and book in store too.

Brian

What I am planning on doing is buying used equipment. This is the only way I will be able to afford it. So pick up a press here, some dies there, etc... Please help!

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

MichaelJ, I may have some dies for .06, i can't remember if i sold them or not i will check. If your interested and i have them i would sell them for a fair price. You can use the same equip for .06 and 30 but will need different dies and probably shell holders for each.

Press, Dies, shell holder, primer tool, case lube & kit, loading tray, powder scale / measurer, funnel, case trimmer, deburring tool, & case length measurer are pretty much the basics.
If you start, be careful it's real easy to get addicted.

Hey guys thanks a ton! I made a list and will start pretty soon. Thanks a lot!

Hey, can I email one of you a picture so you can tell me what is included in the picture? It's off of an ebay auction. Thanks.

Michael, whats the auction # and when does it end? I can give it a good look see real quickly. I do a lot of selling of pistol brass on e-bay. Jovan

MichaelJ;

I would buy the RCBS reloading kit over Lee. It contains the big money items you will need and RCBS has a reputation for precision reloading more so then Lee. I have used RCBS for the past 25 years and still use my first Rockchucker press for my rifle reloading. When you buy the various caliber dies, that you need for each caliber, be very careful about buying used ones. Alot of times they have been abuse or neglected and the seller is dumping them, most of the time. I try to buy only new ones, RCBS is my favorite brand, unless I know the seller and I know he is not dumping a bad set of dies on me that will leave scratches in my brass cases. Get several good reloading manuels for your reloading infro, and some of the reloading manuels have a step by step guide on reloading your ammo. also if you know someone that is into reloading, have him help you out on your setup and selection of needed items. Just try to be sure that he has alot of good reloading experience, you do not need bad information passed on to you. I was lucky and my Father-in-law taught me and he had alot of experience on reloading and was good at it. Learn one caliber first and get it down pat and the others following will be easier. The 30-06 is a good one to sart with.
Good Luck;
RELH

Ditto REHL.

Also if it turns out that you don't like handloading (hard to imagine.. but its been known to happen) the re-sale value of used RCBS equipment holds-up pretty well because of overall quality and reputation of RCBS.

A good manual, which is also very necessary, usually has a step-by-step section in it. Hornady has a nice how too section I liked and Speer & Sierra manuals aren't bad ether. You might start there... just my two cents.

Alrgiht, RCBS it is then. I made a list of the things I need, and will start saving my money. I have way too many things going on right now!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom