What good is a domestic sheep?

Muleyears

With all the synthetic fibers nowadays, is wool really that valuable?

All of the mutton in grocery stores comes from New Zealand.....

Yet they destroy everything in their path (vegetation, riparian areas, etc), are subsidized to the max, and bring almost zero American jobs.

My bow hunting camp was inundated with them this weekend while I was out hunting. They knocked over everything, shat everywhere, and someone took a bottle of whiskey out of my tent.....

Really makes me wonder- what good is a domestic a sheep???

There is no synthetic fiber out there better than wool, but I do wonder what we do with sheep in the US. Not much market for the meat like in other places in the world and they are hell on the landscape.

I was archery hunting a big buck in Idaho this year..500 friggin sheep moved into his basin the next morning and he and his buddies were gone with the wind. I hate em.

few places i horn hunt when the farmer puts the sheep down on the river the deer vanish and the sheep go to destroy mode. The mountain lions sure do kill a lot of sheep and the farmer doesnt seem to care.

At the very least, they are the reason why we have such heavy predator control here in WY. I honestly do not mind the sheep at all. They come and go. Very seldom do I have issues hunting around them etc. On the flipside I understands how the sheep in my area move where they are coming from and heading.

Not really sure importing foreign meats at the detriment of domestic sources is something we should be proud of.be that sheep from New Zealand or Cattle from Africa. Funny how quickly everyone forgot what it looks like when we are dependent on foreign supply chains, and government arrogance shuts them down.

I'm not real sure why you'd think their isn't a market, yet in the same breath talk about them as being everywhere. I'm pretty sure these guys ain't hobby farming.

And, as was mentioned, why it may seem just great to be done with grazers, that pretty much leaves hunters as the only ones wanting or doing predator work. How do we reckon that will go?

They did the same thing to my camp but I ate well
A2AC29C3-B8E5-4281-9EAD-334C36D3B5A6.jpeg

Sheep are delicious. I have a few at the house and usually eat more lamb than almost any other meat... but I am also curious about the ones I run into hunting as wool is almost worthless (if not actually worthless right now) and the market for meat is fairly small w/ a lot of it being imported it seems like.

In the years we've had sheep I don't think that we've ever made money on them but we eat pretty well for a comparable amount to what I'd spend at the grocery store.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom