What got you hooked on shed hunting?

Torch

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-06 AT 00:55AM (MST)[p]Do any of you fellow shed hunters remember what got you hooked on shed hunting? Here is a story I wrote several years ago about the day I became hooked on shed hunting and I thought a few of you might enjoy reading it.

I used to pick up a lot of sheds while I was out hunting and thought they were cool, but I definitely didn't have the same excitement about picking them up as I do today. However, that all changed a few years ago on one Indian summer day in early spring.

I was bored and had "cabin fever" from all of the long and cold winter days that I had spent cooped up indoors and needed to get out and see the mountain slopes starting to come alive with the fresh flowers trying to make their way through the tangled deadfall the previous winter had left behind. I headed to an area where I had seen deer wintering in previous years, but I had no idea if any deer had been wintering there that year or if there had been any good bucks in the area.

I parked my truck, put on my binoculars and backpack loaded with way too much gear, and began on my first official shed hunt. There was no trail in the area just a myriad of game trails covered with a couple feet of snow and ice left behind from the winter before. As I worked my way through the deep snow I could hear the sounds of water dripping off of the ice sickles and seemingly feeding the many plants that would be nourishing the velvet antlers of majestic bucks in the upcoming summer months. After hiking through the snow for about an hour and down off of the ridge I had finally made it to the canyon I was going to ?hunt.?

As I walked up to the edge of the canyon a bull moose stood at the edge of some oak brush 600 yards away from me on the other side of the canyon wondering what was intruding his territory? Although his antlers were gone, his posture clearly stated that this was his territory. After looking at me for a few minutes the bull slowly walked into the scrub oak that seemed to gobble him up as he vanished out of sight.

I began to glass the large canyon lying before me that was covered in oak brush on the west side and then opened up to sagebrush at the bottom. Looking through my binoculars every branch and piece of sagebrush that had any resemblance to an antler was scoured intensely. After a while I had not located any antlers and decided to head up towards the snow covered peaks of the basin. While I was hiking and starting to think about the burning sensation in my legs I stumbled across and old Easton arrow with a rusted broad head on it. As I looked at the arrow thoughts went through my mind of what might have happened in this canyon many years before?

I was now getting very tired and had hiked to the top of the canyon without any luck. The sun was starting to set on the horizon and I knew that my first shed hunting trip was going to be unsuccessful. I looked at the beautiful country that lay before me for several minutes and decided it was time to start heading back to the truck as I knew that I would have to hike back through the snow covered peaks to get back to my truck.

I looked down and started to take a step and couldn't believe my eyes. There laying only a couple of feet away from where I had been standing laid an amazing 4 point mule deer shed. It was a typical 3 point with a big inline cheater coming off of the main beam. It was a very humbling feeling knowing that I almost stepped on the antler before I found it even though I had considered myself to be fairly good at glassing. I have been hooked ever since! Let's hear what got you hooked?

Here is a picture of the shed. I will never get rid of it.
457d0cbc5015b6cb.jpg

The only thing that I can explain is that it just happened. I do have some memorable moments. I remember getting a ride home from elementary school because I was too sick to stay in class. My mom came and picked me up. On our way home I noticed the butt of an antler sticking out of the snow bank in a neighbors yard and I yelled for her to stop the car. She slammed the breaks thinking I needed to through up. I walked over the the bank and pulled out a perfectly brown four point antler. At age 6......

Since then I have been hooked I recently have made it a goal to find an antler on everyday of the year. (not in one year) I read somewhere on this site a member mentioned that he had found on on practically everyday of the year so I started in November and so far I won't have to find a shed on November 6th. 364 more days to go.... wonder how many years it will take me.....

Here's a pic Just to keep you guys content.
Glendalebench4.jpg

What got me hooked was hiking 15 miles a day and not finding a thing it is the best thing ever!!! Just jokin what really got me was the first time i have ever been elk shed hunting it was raining and everyone was just chillin in the trailer waiting for the storm to pass and once it let up a little i decided to head out in the low sage and try to get a couple rabbits with my .22 pistole and once i got about 300 yards away from camp a walked right up on a set of mule deer sheds laying one on top of the other and they were brown big plus they were brown 300 yards away from camp did not have to search for the otherside and they scored 186 with 40 inches of mass!!! since then i have been hooked!!!

I got hooked on shed hunting because i couldn't draw a good tag in my state, but found a few good "bones" lying on the ground. Then i just happen to be in Jackson while they had the antler auction going on back in 2000. I was totally blown away by the sport, it seemed better than panning for gold!! I have been hooked on it ever since, and even made a business out of it called "Skull Krazy". I don't sell any "nuggets", i just bring them back to life on reproduction skulls. Now here comes the regulations on picking them up. I knew that would eventually happen, the way this sport is taking off.

I used to do it for the

hundred_dollar_bills.jpg

But now pretty much keep the few that I find. The time spent is not worth selling them anymore. Days of 6-15 elk sheds and more deer than you can pack are long gone. I feel lucky to find a few a year now, and to be honest don't even waste my time in the spring looking for them anymore. The few I find are incedental during hunting season. I'd rather go fishing.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-06 AT 10:55AM (MST)[p]MONSTERMULYES.COM GOT ME HOOKED. LOOKING AT ALL THE SWEET AS THEY LAY. GOT TO LOVE THE INTERNET.

I thought it was a stupid, pointless hobby until a friend of mine talked me into going one day. We only found one shed, and to express my dissatisfaction with the event, I bragged about how "my" spot was loaded with horns. I didn't really know if it was or not, but I knew of a pretty good winter range and guessed that it would be loaded with sheds. He told me to put my money where my mouth was and the next weekend we picked up 21 sheds in 5 hours. The second day it snowed and we didn't find #####, but that first day started it all...

for me it was 1985. around the first of april my dad took me to an area that was well-known elk winter range. we showed up about 10 in the morning and parked the car and starting hiking the foothills. by about 3 that afternoon i was beat. he had 5 nice, big brown elk sheds and i had one little white raghorn. no matter, i was hooked for life.

the following year the gov't implemented a seasonal closure on that particular area, so my dad and i branched out from there.

in the past 10 years or so the "sport" has really caught on and been ruined in many ways, but i am thankful i was in on the "good old days" and i won't stop looking for sheds until i am not physically able. i do not care how many miles/days i have to hike around before i find one worth keeping, it'll always be worthwhile for me.

This is a picture of me when I was 14 years old and that is my dad. We found thest moose sheds during an elk hunt in Idaho. This is when I got hooked! As soon as we got home (Utah) I wanted to go shed hunting. My first find was a unique three point shed that looks like a whitetail. My 16 b-day I aked for a shed hunting trip for my present. Been hooked ever since. Didn't even care to actually hunt just wanted to find sheds. Can't wait for them to drop.

457e185d0f8116b3.jpg

I have told this story befor but it is worth telling again. I was 12 years old and my dad, one of his freinds and I were checking some fence. The pasture is about 160 acres and you could drive to all the fence except for two small draws on one side of the pasture. My dad dropped me off at the edge of the first draw and told me he would pick me up at the other side of the second draw after he drove around the rest of the pasture. I was sorely dissapointed because dad was telling hunting stories and I didn't want to miss any of them. I plodded through the first draw uneventfully. When I got to the bottom of the second draw I spotted a antler tine in the tall grass. I can remember thinking " At least I found a shed antler maybe this walk will be good for something after all. The antler wasn't a shed but the skull of a whitetail buck. Something isn't right the skull is way to small I remember thinking. Then I relised The skull wasn't small the antlers were huge. I counted ten points on each side and the beams were as thick as my arm. I forgot about the fence. I ran out of the draw as fast as I could. Dad was at the far side of the pasture so I stuck the antler next to a old fence post and ran out to get him. Dad saw me coming and though I was hurt. Why elce would I be running across the middle of the feild. He drove over and asked what was wrong. Out of breath and very excited I told him I had just found the biggest whitetail head he would every see. I can still remember him giving me the "sure you did kid look". When we got back to the skull his jaw about hit the ground. The buck is a true monster. A 6 by 6 frame that nets in the mid 180s and enough nontypical to push the score up to over 212. I can remember that day like it was yesterday. If some one wants to post a pic I will send it to them in a day or so.

Antlerradar

Torch -
Curiosity got me hooked. I just had to find out what big boys made it through the hunting season. I very seldom pick up anything unless it's big. I hunt sheds like I hunt live animals....go for the big boys and let the little ones be. Did you ever get back to find the other side to that shed? Kacie and I looked for it 2 more days and couldn't find it. I think it's on that east facing slope on the other side of the ridge from where you found the first side.

It's always an adventure!!!

THE MONEY the crazies want to pay for them and exercise for our horses
Getting ready for Jackson last year

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom