What grain bullet

I would say it depends how you are hunting them. I hunted them over bait in maine with my 7mm mag and the shots were only around 30 yds or so. I shot mine with a 175 grain core lokt. The bear went right down. The guide their recommended at least 150 grain bullets. I would use this combo again on any black bear hunt. Shot placement is the key. Good luck!!

BRUSE
US Army proudly serving

Thanks Bruse.... I'm hunting them stalk and spot and might try to call them in. I'm expecting that a shot might range to up to 300+ yards. \

Whatever you are currently shooting and the gun is sighted in for. You will have confidence with the current load and gun you have been shooting. I have killed them with 270-130 grain, 7mm -165 grain, 308 - 165 grain, 300 WSM - 165 grain and they all have done very well and I have recovered all bear between the spot of the shot to less then 100 yards.

+1 rmanwill.

Any gun will do, if you will do! (Sorry, I stole that saying from FrontSight). Shot placement all the way. Bears are not hard to kill. Now if you were talking self defense on a charging brown bear...shotgun, but in a hunting situation I don't think it matters. Put a bullet in the lungs and it will die.

I have a 7mm and a few years back I started useing 139 gr. Hornady inerbond. I have been way impressed. My rifle is sighted in at 2 inches high at 100 yds. She is a flat shooter. I took a nice bear at 500 yds. A buck at 500 yds and a bull at 430 yds. And have taken numerous other animals at shorter distances. I would recomend this bullet for sure. All of these animals died within a few yds.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom