What gun to buy???

borntohunt

What gun to buy???

Hey guys just looking for suggestions. I finally drew my Utah LE Elk Tag. I will be hunting the Pahvant Late hunt this fall. My wife also drew one of the Plateau Pronghorn tags from the Expo. The other night my wife suggested that I get a new gun that can be used for both of our hunts. My current rifle is a Ruger 30-06 and she normally shoots a Ruger 243. I have a few buddies that shoot 300 ultras. My wife has shot one of their guns but it obviously has a brake on it (my wife is a small girl) What ever gun I buy I intend to put a Leupold VX-3 scope on it. I don't do much rifle hunting, normally black powder or archery, but I want to have a nice gun that will last and give us confidence when we do draw a rifle tag such as this year. My buddies are really into reloading and ballistics so once I choose the gun, I should be taken care of. One of my buddies is a Christensen Arms guy, but I am not sure that I am in the position to spend that kind of money. Another buddy is suggesting either Sako or Remington. Also if I go for a 300 should I go with the Short Mag?

Just looking for suggestions and opinions.

borntohunt

RE: What gun to buy???

I was in the same dillema a few years ago, I had just finished shooting a deer and antelope with my .270 WSM from Browning and decided on trying to get something bigger for the elk I'm gonna be hunting. I loved the .270 Shortmag, it was a straight shooter, felt real good in the hands and was fun to shoot with very little recoil. Although it has plenty of power for an elk, shot placement being important, I ended up buying a .300 WSM in the Tikka T3-lite and absolutely love this gun. It kick's but I never feel the recoil when shooting an animal. It's a very good shot group right out of the box, if your concerned about the recoil on your wife's shoulder you can always add a muzzle break, which will probably start a whole nother' discussion. Bottom line, I liked both the .270 WSM in the Browning A bolt and the Tikka T3lite. I like the Tikka better as it's way lighter, it was easier on the wallet, and it's got an adjustable trigger that shoots smooth as butter.
Good luck, have fun with the "hunt" for a new rifle,

Al

I would vote for the 270WSM I have had one for a few years it has taken deer elk antalope and bear. It is a great all around gun plenty of nock down power and the recoil is not bad at all. My fiance shot an antalope this year with it and it didnt bother her at all and she is only about 100 lbs soaking wet.

I like the 270 better then the 300's or 7mms it is a fun caliber to shoot because it doesnt recoil so hard, but it still has really good balistics.

i shoot a 300 ultra mag with a leupold 4-14 x50 and love it. it has dropped elk deer bear coyotes all with one shot. but rifles are like buying a truck, everybody has a preference in what the want or what they like.remington makes a good 300 ultra right out of the box that i am a fan of and they are not bady priced.
i also own the 270wsm and love it too. the ultra mag with a muzzle break i personally think is the way to go.

For the late season hunt on the Pahvant, you probably will have to shoot longer than you would during a rut hunt. All three people I know of who drew late season tags took great bulls at 450-650 yard shots.

I would suggest a 300wsm since both you and your spouse will be using the gun. Provides long shots and will not be too bad on the recoil. Just my 0.02

I shoot a 7mm rem mag at elk. does the trick everytime have never had to track...just make a good shot. 7mm is a very flat shooting gun thats why i like that caliber so much. Thats what i would get. Weatherbys 30-378 are sweet too though. You can buy that gun and take a class for it up in logan to learn to shoot it 1300 yards. It is equiped with a leopuld when you do that class. The scope has drop dots on it of course.

I currently own a 30-06, a 7mm rem mag, and a 338 win mag.

If I had been lucky enough to be picked this year, I would probably take my 30-06. Very accurate and I have a lot of confidence in my ability to hit where I aim. With the new ammo out there with premium bullets, it is superior to the 30-06 of old that has taken many, many elk.

My current favorate bullet is the Hornady Superformance with the 165 GMX bullet:
http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-Springfield-165-gr-GMX-Superformance/

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Both guns are perfectly capable of killing the animals you will be hunting. I wouldn't buy a gun specifically for an upcoming hunt. However, You can never have enough guns... If you are going to get a new 30 cal., I would go with the 300Win Mag. It Has more umph than the 300short and 30-06 and is a little lighter that the Ultras which I think are a PAIN to shoot (pun intended). Good luck on your hunts.

How about Dead is Dead! Any of the guns mentioned including your 30.06 will work. The 300's, 7MM or 270's are also great calibers. I just won a Browning A-Bolt 300WSM and I would say it seems to kick a little more than my 7MM when shooting a target. I'm sure it's not noticeable when shooting an animal but you said your wife was small and I'm not sure about that gun for a small woman. For BOTH of you I would recommend the 270. I've never shot a short mag in the 270 though. My $.02!

Go with the 300 win mag. It has a lot more options than the shortmag when it comes to reloading. If you choose to just buy bullets you can pick them up A LOT cheaper! I have a ruger M77 mark 2 with the laminate stock, both my wife and I love to shoot it. Already proven very well on elk, did an excellent job on my antelope last year. No real damage to meat and threw him down.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Savage Weather Warrior model 16 FHSAK in 300WSM. I just bought one and need to get it out of the box. It comes with a brake that you turn on and off. I have a 300WSM with a boss and love everything, but I hate the brake. I have killed elk, deer, bear out to 500yds. I like the WSM because it comes in a smaller gun than the 300WM.

"You'll never get a big one if you shoot a little one"

Shortmags are overrated!! They cost alot more to shoot and you dont gain much if anything! They cut down on what you can do with reloading. If your not a reloader then they are alot more expensive to buy too. They dont make sense to me, just a trend that will soon fade...

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

>Savage Weather Warrior model 16 FHSAK
>in 300WSM. I just
>bought one and need to
>get it out of the
>box. It comes with
>a brake that you turn
>on and off. I
>have a 300WSM with a
>boss and love everything,
>but I hate the brake.
> I have killed elk,
>deer, bear out to 500yds.
> I like the WSM
>because it comes in a
>smaller gun than the 300WM.
>
>
>"You'll never get a big one
>if you shoot a little
>one"

I had the same "boss". Hunted one season and took it off after it nearly blew my ears out. Replaced it with a solid attachment and it's been great ever since.

I would save your money and spend it on some good binos or a spotting scope if you dont already have one. Your 06 with a good 165 or 180 bullet like accubonds. It will be perfect for elk. You wifes 243 will be great for antelope. If she is comfortable why not let her use your 06.

whats the prob? 30-06 is great for elk. and 243 is awesome for lopes. i dumped a lope in its tracks at 400 yards with a 243.

The last 2 comments are right on. Iffen it was just for you I'd RX a .338 Win Mag. Just for her a 25-06 or 7mm-08. But to get a shared gun would be a compromise for both of you and probably result in too much recoil for her and not as much gun as you'd want for your hunt. Buy the Swaros and you'll be happy.

Short magnums are intended to sell guns, period. Get the "real" thing if you go new. The Ultra's are the real deal. They mimic the legendary Weatherby calibers, enough said. All in all with limited $ and your wife, I would go with the '06. I personally a HS Precision .338RUM w/o the brake on.

For a special elk hunt you want a "full on" capable caliber. The .300WSM is such a performer. Use 180 grain Nosler partition bullets and you will be confident in being able to make a killing shot on a big bull elk. Confidence is a powerful thing at the moment of pulling the trigger.

Hornady has the Superformance ammo for the 30-06 with the 165 GMX bullet. This would be great for elk in your Ruger.
http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-Springfield-165-gr-GMX-Superformance/

The 30-06 or 243 will work for both species. Put the money (as others have said) from a new rifle instead on a scope with turrets or BDC, new binos, another hunt, or the taxidermy bill. Put a good recoil pad on your Rugers like a Sims or Pachmayr XLT http://www.pachmayr.com/XLT-magnum-traps.php , and save your hearing without a brake.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom