What happens?

JACOB2006

What happens if we don't get rain?Do we get delayed hunts?Do we get our money back? Or do we still get to hunt?Just wondering since most of the forests are closing.

You've got your tag. G&F does not guarantee access to anything anywhere. The only exception might be the way the rules are written for private land that gets UW elk tags. I don't see how they could keep anyone off of the private land! So there is your loophole.

It is what it is... Nothing will happen other than mother nature screwing you if the forests are closed during a hunt. No money back, no make up hunts, nothing.

Do a rain dance & pray!

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

My guess would be that we just don,t get to hunt because of the fire danger. No refund or tag carryover till next year. Its no ones fault because of mother natures whims. I would rather see them stay closed then risk one more person losing their life or house just so we can hunt drought stressed animals.
This is probably not gonna be very popular with most people.
I drew deer, elk,ibex and barbary this year and would trade all those tags back in for a good rain that would do us all a world of good.

The animals are still there whether it rains or not.

I am betting some people will be sick of the rain come the end of July.

Its coming soon.

+1 what Paul said.... the monsoon is on the verge of starting, it should be way different in a couple or three weeks, let alone by hunting season. However, if you are really concerned, I will buy your landowner authorizations now for 10 cents on the dollar.... I am here to help! :)

I'm praying that you guys get some rain soon to eliminate the fire hazards and to help the animals out. If this were happening in Wyoming they have the following subsection in their refund laws that allows a refund of license money if you can't hunt:

"When the Department determines one hundred percent (100%) of
the hunting opportunity and access to the hunt area has been closed due to administrative actions of the state or federal government in closing of the public access to public lands due to a natural disaster."

I believe someone on here recently informed me that's.......... Karma !!!
Good Luck. And welcome to New Mehico.

>+1 what Paul said.... the monsoon
>is on the verge of
>starting, it should be way
>different in a couple or
>three weeks, let alone by
>hunting season. However, if
>you are really concerned, I
>will buy your landowner authorizations
>now for 10 cents on
>the dollar.... I am
>here to help! :)
>

I will extend the same offer. It has been so dry here I have actually been watching the elk antlers shrink.
Not a year you want to hunt.
I will give you .50 cents on the dollar for unit 34 rifle elk tags just to help you out.

The Sandia's have received "dust suppression" two days in a row.
We just have to hold out long enough while the moisture builds up enough to reduced the incidence of lightning-caused fires.

The way the Las Conchas is burning, there's probably not going to be a huntable area left in 6C. Screw the refund, I think NMDGF should let me have a go at 6B... ;-)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11 AT 06:58PM (MST)[p]It's burned along the east side down to the grasslands it looks like on the Inci-web site.But is burning hot in the north and back into the west in the north part.6,000 acres of the Santa Clara Pueblo watershed too!

For those of you that are familiar with the VC subunits it looks like all of unit 13 and 14 are burned, at least half of unit 11 and some in unit 12. Does anyone know if they are fighting the fire on the VC side or are they letting it burn for now?

I have seen the forest closed up until about 2 weeks before archery season kicked off before. I don't remember them being closed any later than that.

You guys are freakin me out. What happens if they keep the forests closed is that I will be parachuting in under cover of darkness to utilize the BHS tag that came in the mail yesterday...

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11 AT 11:10PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11 AT 10:37?PM (MST)

Paul,
Best way to see damage is to compare the high resolution fire map (pdf file) for Jun30th here:

[https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWe...onchas/related_files/ftp-20110630-141500.pdf]

to the elk units map from the VC here:
[http://www.vallescaldera.gov/about/maps/static/elk_hunting_units.pdf]

Looking at the topographical map underlay it appears all of 15 and 14 is burned, all the decent huntable areas in 13 (the Cerro del Medio) is burned as well as the timber in 11 (the Cerros de los Posos and NE of there), the eastern halves of 10 and 12 will probably burn the next couple of days as the wind continues to push the fire north. Unfortunately the weather reports indicates the winds will be shifting to out of the SE, SSE the next few days which will drive the fire towards the northwest. That should finish the rest of 10 and 12.

You could actually see some of the black line fire stops they created in an earlier map but it obviously spotted over the one up north.

I drew the early archery (Sept6-12)so praying for rain!!
Losing 15 no big deal but 10-13 hurts. I hunted 9 last year.
Best case looks like the 15 archery tags get spread across 9 units. They doubled up several units last year and I only bumped into the other hunter once. I was looking forward to having a unit all to myself this time now just hoping there is some terrain left to hunt! Hopefully I can still fish it this year a couple of times.

You can see a picture of the big meadow (Valle Grande) burned and Cerro del Medio smoldering from Road 4 here:

29119jt062911d.jpg

or watch the entire slideshow here:

http://www.abqjournal.com/cgi-bin/display_photo.pl?tn_dir=/pix/2011losconchas&thumbsize=222

Larry

Hoss,

I drew the 2nd archery VC hunt, and congrats on your hunt!!

Seeing the VC burnt makes me sad among other profane words.

Any word from the VC people?? Any info, yet??

I'm sure they are busy putting out fires....

Best of luck, this should be interesting............

NMBoltripper,
Congrats to you as well.
I have not heard any news from the VC folks. You could call Dennis Trujillo the General Manager or Mick Trujillo the Hunt Coordinator or email them but I bet they are really busy fighting fires, etc right now! http://www.vallescaldera.gov/about/trust/trust_staff_dir.aspx

They are probably as sick as we are. They both really go out of their way to make sure everyone has a great hunt. I imagine we'll get info when they send out the hunt packages in July as well as emails from them once they reopen the preserve. Whatever units are still huntable they will work hard to get everyone a quality hunt.

It will be interesting for sure!
Larry

I contacted the VC a few days ago and this is what was sent to me via email.

"Yes, firefighters have been on the Preserve since the fire started. The firemen and women have been doing their best to contain this very large and wild fire. It is thanks to their efforts that more of the Preserve has not been affected by this fire. There will be more information about the fire on the Preserve coming out in the future, but right now the focus is on public and firefighter safety."

I will take either 6C or 6A LO tags for 10 cents on the dollar as well. Archery.

34 heck I will give ya 20 cents on the dollar for a archery tag.

Outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom