What is a good youth bow??

Lkslayer

I have a 12 year old boy and a 14 year old girl who want to bow hunt this year. I'm sure both will need a 40-50 lb draw weight. Not sure on the draw length... What are your kids shooting? What is a good starter bow in this weight range?

I think Bowtech makes a bow that is completely upgradeable including draw length and draw weight. The draw length isn't too hard with today's bows just swap the module (for little to no cost to the pro shop) and you are done. The draw weight can be increased with new limbs and I think that is around $200, which is better than buying an entire new bow. Bowtech, Diamond, Hoyt, Reflex, PSE, and a couple of others companies make these expandable youth bows. I am more familiar with Mathews, but the only youth bow they have is the Gensis, which is good if you have 15 people shooting the same bow but I don't even recommend it for your situation. The Genesis is meant for target shooting and if I remember what you said you are hoping to get your kids into bowhunting soon. Now I will give my shameless advertising here look at Mission, I don't know whether they have an upgradeable type bow for youths, but I had a couple of buddies in Alaska that shot Mission, I even shot a few of them. Really nice bows, the wife almost got me one for the last Christmas but I have my heart set on a different bow, so I didn't get a new bow. Take a look online at the different manufactures and see what the offer. Honestly now days there are no POS bows on the market anymore, just differences in shootability comfort, silence when shooting them, etc. Best of luck and if they are hunting this fall I hope they both get one. Caution if they do manage to harvest this fall with their archery gear you may have fanatics on your hands.
WVBOWAK

I agree with the Bowtech being a great starter bow, also Bear makes a good one that is similar.

The Diamond Razor Edge is far and away the best option for youth starter bows. The Draw length adjust from 19"-29" with out the need of a bow press or new modules and ranges in draw weight from 30lbs-60lbs. And it retails for $329 ready to shoot just add arrows. My son shoots one and you can not beat it for starter youth bow. Also check archery talk classified ads and you could easy find the under retail.

When I was 12 I started with my bow set at 56 lbs. Next year I had it bumped up to 70 lbs. Now at fourteen I still shoot 70 and it is perfect for me. I think the most important thing for you to do would be to take your kids into an archery shop and have them shoot a variety of bows at a variety of different draw weights. It is all about finding the bow that is best for them. I bet they would probably even think that it was fun.

I agree with the diamond also.Got my son one for x-mas and it shoots real well.Can go from 30 to 60 pounds and draw length that will last them for years.I would not buy the combo again as I change out all that came with it anyway.Sight in the combo is plastic and the rest wore out in 2 weeks.

All the top brands make good bow's for youths. In that 40-50 pound range you will have a lot of options. Just check them all out and pick one that is adjustible. One that you can change draw lenght adjustment and limbs to increase poundage to the bow. That will allow the bow to grow with the kids.

We picked up a PSE for our Grandson because it was lighter in weight but the Bowtech is sweet also...Take them to the archery shop and let them shoot everything before you make a purchase. Also we found that it is better to purchase a "bow only" and build it with sights and rest yourself. Much better and you can control the quality..best to your pocket book. Just about all the package setups that include everything are junk, cheap, poor quality, plastic sight pins that will break in a year..

Good luck

)))).......>

My oldest son is shooting the Browning Adrenalin...
43 pounds and simply unreal....

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll be taking my kids to the pro shop to shoot a few and I think I'll start with the Diamond (because I shoot a Bowtech).

Take a good look at the bowtech soldier, I did alot of research and this bow is the best I found in my perception. My 10 year old son pulls 43 pounds right now and draw lengths will adjust to any shooter by moving two screws without a press. The bow is 35-65 lbs. He will have this bow for as long as he likes. Most 10 year olds probably can;t pull 43 pounds but this bow is very smooth pulling. He want's to increase poundage as he is pulling back this poundage pretty easy. This bow is very quiet also. This sunday we shot another 3d shoot he shot a 312 out of total 400, and he shot from the adult stakes, cub stakes are to easy for him. He took gold at the state games last year with the whisper creek youth bow. Don't buy a youth bow until you look at the bowtech soldier you will see what I am talking about. paid 399 last year for 2010 model. well worth the money...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-11 AT 11:49AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-11 AT 11:48?AM (MST)

Just make sure to go check out the bow you want to purchase and adjust it to your kids specific draw length. Some of these bows with really wide weight ranges cannot achieve the claimed weights through the whole draw length settings. We checked out the Bear Apprentice and set it to my sons draw length. The bow didn't come within 10lbs of its max weight due to his short draw. He's pretty strong, just small and that bow wouldn't get him to 40lbs to be able to hunt with.

We were able to get the Diamond Razors Edge (60LB) down to 30 lbs for his draw length now and it would easily get him to 40lb min for hunting.

I would look at the Mission Craze. I bought this bow for my wife who is a new shooter and she loves it. It has adjustable draw from 19"-30", draw weight adjustable from 15-70lbs. and many other features. I bought it so she could get her form down, price was right, to her the draw was smoother than the comparable Diamond, and I could pass it down to the kids if she moves up or doesn't keep interest. The only draw back is it has a smaller axle to axle so you have to get the right draw weight so the shooter doesn't sway when at full draw if they are taller. http://missionarchery.com/Craze-bow.asp

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom