What is a Guided Hunt to you?

BearCat

I am having a bit of a dilemma. I have had a few people tell me that my Alaskan Moose Adventure was the same as a ?GUIDED HUNT. Now this seems absolutely absurd to me, but I have been wrong many times before. I think there is a huge difference between going with a friend hunting (yes in another state) vs. paying/winning/trading for a guide and going hunting with them.

So I would like just a YES (guided) or NO (not guided) to keep things simple.

Here are the honest facts so that you can make an educated decision. I have tried not to be biased but I just do not see the connection, but hey I have only been on one guided caribou hunt in my life and this was NO WAY the same. By the way I have NOTHING against guides they are great in a lot of cases?but I just do not feel this was a guided hunt:

1. I went with a buddy who had a tag and had equal chance to shoot a moose and actually had first chance when I was hunting by myself in another part of the drainage that I thought was better.
2. I did not pay him a fee of any kind but did give him a small gift for letting me stay at his house and eat his food (loved those halibut enchiladas).
3. I called/grunted/raked in my moose, I also picked the area to hunt that morning based on what we had seen in prior days, I also picked the call set up based on the terrain, I saw the moose, I shot the moose
4. My friend did not cook for me, set up my camp, do all the meat packing, the cleaning, the pre packing, the shopping, the dressing etc. (yes he helped greatly in the packing and that I am forever grateful)
5. I feel it was no different than going hunting with a friend in a different state and both having the same opportunity to shoot. We each did what we could based on our location and what we were good at. Nothing different that going hunting for a big buck with another friend that might go into your area and bag a monster. We did not have 5 guys helping spot, pack or being our doing any help?just us. Is there anything wrong with multiple people and helping them out?hell no!!!
6. I did not pay any money to him, I did not win it, I did not pay for it at an auction, I did not contract someone line etc. 7. Will my name be associated with any outfitter (no)
8. Yes my friend help out with the research on what area to start with, but it was OUR decision to go into this particular drainage because we had decided to ?Go Big or GO HOME?
9. I booked all of my flight legs and paid for them.
10. Yes my friend helped me pack out the animal and that I am VERY happy. Was this like having a set of paid horse to ride on every day while hunting and packing out, or was it just having a friend around to help out whether it was the two of us or all of my friends. Did he do it all hell no.
11. We hunted together a few days, and solo for a few days. I would guess that we were about 60/40 being together and separate. Did he show me the best spots?No because neither of us had been in the drainage in our lives we each had to learn and go with our gut. Sometimes I was wrong and sometimes he was wrong?I believe they call that hunting and not being guided.
12. Did my friend actually go out and scout our area in advance (NO) he had never ever been in that drainage in his life!!! He had found two or three based on PAPER research and then we decided that based on that research there was a chance for a big bull here because it was the most remote and we like to go where we do not see people.
13. We also did not get any game processing in the deal?yep WE spent a whole day cutting up the best parts of the moose and the rest went to a processor for sausage and such?they are BIG
14. We did use some of his gear (tent, and stove) as it was cheaper than sending down my stuff, but everything else was each of our own.
15. We split all costs of the trip 50/50.

Once again I can't thank my friend enough for helping me out and helping with my dream!!! I hope others get to experience this with a friend.

So let's hear a YES for guided and a NO for not guided.

Thanks everyone!
BearCat

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-11 AT 09:15AM (MST)[p]He did all the scouting and put in the effort to locate the area you were hunting in..... To me you pay a guide for local knowledge when you don't have the time, resources or skill to develop it yourself..... The only difference is the semantics of calling one a guide and one a friend..... Nothing wrong with using either for a hunt...... Terry

Never_Catch

You have the right to your opinion like everyone, I think you can see by any of my posts over the last few years that I have no need for attention and many of my adventures you do not see any pictures on this site or any site.

Just a simple answer and I guess your would be a (YES).

BearCat

NO

I guess next time I go hunting with my buddies, we will have to decide who is guiding who. I never new I was a guide, or had been on a guided hunt, but by some peoples definitions I do it all the time.

No...and congrats on the awesome moose. I'm oozing with jealousy.

I've been on two guided hunts in my lifetime. A guide to me is just someone to get you to an area that he knows well and HELP with the spotting of the animal. I don't expect him to do anything more. I bring my own food, spotting scope, tent, and all other equipment. I do my own cooking. I insist on caping and fleshing and quartering the animal myself and although the help packing the quarters out is helpful....I don't expect it and enjoy that part of the hunt.

Congrats again!

NO

Why is there even a question here...?? Someone's grilling you every day that you went guided...??? So what. Sounds like you earned the animal- that's what really matters here...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Doesnt matter either way. Tired of hearing about the chest pounding DIY hunter and how superior they are to guided hunters.
Who cares! If you enjoyed it, thats all that matters. I do both and make no apologies whatsoever about my guided hunts.

>Doesnt matter either way. Tired of
>hearing about the chest pounding
>DIY hunter and how superior
>they are to guided hunters.
>
>Who cares! If you enjoyed it,
>thats all that matters. I
>do both and make no
>apologies whatsoever about my guided
>hunts.

+1000 AMEN!!!!! Great post!

>Doesnt matter either way. Tired of
>hearing about the chest pounding
>DIY hunter and how superior
>they are to guided hunters.
>
>Who cares! If you enjoyed it,
>thats all that matters. I
>do both and make no
>apologies whatsoever about my guided
>hunts.

Great post. When it comes down to it the only one who can truly say they are a 100% DIY hunter is someone who does it by themselves.

It is really funny to me some of the folks who have 6 buddies and 4 family members on the hunt with them scouting and spotting and using radios to get in on an animal and they think they are a DIY hunter.

Just bringing a friend along to help quarter up an elk would technically not be a DIY hunt.

I hunt in Wyoming in a wilderness area and have to have a guide to hunt there as a nonresident. My friend who lives in Wyoming has to get a resident guide license so I can hunt with him. It is free but he has to sign a form saying no one is paying him and he can only "guide" 2 people a year.

This year I feel like I was more instrumental in helping him get his elk than he was in me getting my elk. I actually did the quartering and deboning for both animals once they were down and packed out more than my share of the meat, but technically he was my guide.

In short (which is very hard for me if you haven't noticed) I would say "Who Cares?" whether someone says you had a guided hunt or not. It's all about the experience and it sounded like an awesome time to me.

Guys/Gals please understand I am not chest pounding by no Sense!!!! And as i mentioned in the email, I have done both and both are GREAT in their own right. Each have their rewards and draw backs, and neither makes the hunt less!! For me I had just as much fun with 2 friends on a guided caribou hunt as any DYI hunt--it was another dream come true.

And for the record, I had a GREAT time with a GREAT friend!!! But if I get called out that my moose hunt was GUIDED and classified as such I will call bull$$$$!

BearCat

Here's the deal, BearCat has been ripping my butt for him not being in the top 7 of the Hunt Adventure Challenge. He had gone off on me about how wrong it was that a couple of the folks in the top 7 had gone of guided hunts. He felt that because his hunt wasn't a guided hunt that he should have easily beat them out. However, in my view after reading his thread, I felt that most of what made his hunt happen was what his friend in Alaska did. Most of the photos, most or the are knowledge, etc. was provided by his friend. His friend even packed most of the animal back to camp.

There's nothing wrong with all that, but in my opinion, I didn't see that his hunt was all that different from a guided hunt. BearCat might have done a little more than what some guided hunters do, but not a lot. So, I made the comment that his hunt was "guided". Maybe I'm wrong, but I was pissed that he was going off on those other folks like he was. So, that is why he's asking this question.

In the end, I decided that his thread wasn't a top 7. I think his was real good, and very close to a top 7, but not as good as the others. Had he gone on another hunt or two and wrote about them, then he would have probably been in there. It's just like another thread in there that was super great, but it consisted of only one hunt for the whole year. While it was great, it wasn't as good as the ones that included mulitple hunts.

Part of the way I judged the threads is by asking myself, "who's year of hunting do I envy". While BearCat had a great year and told a good story and provided good info, he told of only one hunt for the entire fall, and I just didn't "envy" that as much as I did the stories of folks who went on multiple hunts.

Photos, scouting, etc. all played a role. BearCat's thread, in my opinion, just wasn't as good. Very close, as was a couple others, but in the end I went with the ones I listed in the other thread. It was a tough choice, and I did read every thread.

BearCat was also mad because his thread was longer than all the others, but in the case of this contest, quality overrides quantity. It's fine that he told about his ATVing trips, shared past hunting pictures, shared his friends shed photos, etc., but all that had little to nothing to do with his 2010 hunting adventures. I'm sorry, but I felt that some of it was just "filler" material and just because his thread was viewed 12,000 times or consisted of 103 posts, that isn't what would make it a winner anyway.

I have been sickened by the way BearCat has acted. Not only have I heard an earful about how his thread was the best, but I also got accused for running some sort of scam/popularity contest, because if it hadn't been a popularity contest he would have certainly been in the top 7. That offended the hell out of me, because I sat and read every one of the HAC threads in an effort to ensure that the best (or as close as I could judge it) were in the top 7 and that the best wins. I could have saved myself a LOT of time and just put it to vote here on the site, then it definitely could have ended up a popularity contest. And, I'm quite sure he would have still complained when he didn't win that either.

So that's that. I had to post this. Sorry if it's unprofessional of me, but you BearCat are nuts.

I'll tell you what, if enough of you people think that a monster injustice has been done here and that BearCat's thread was the best of the bunch, then speak up and I'll take that dude hunting. I'll do two winners. Is BearCat's thread really the best and I just screwed up big time?????

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-11 AT 11:46AM (MST)[p]NO - not guided, not that it matters.
I'd have put you in the top 7 as well as a few others that weren't included.
I do think 1-2 of them made it in part on popularity. All in the top group were great reads though.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-11 AT 12:06PM (MST)[p]Game On!! I will try and keep this simple. I am sure this will get blown out of proportion, but one thing is I RESPECT all of the people that submitted their stories. I too read most of them and many are very good writers!!!!!

1. Yes I was upset that I was not in the TOP 7 based on the guidelines that was presented?not denying that ---I am sure there are others and that is a fact of life. Does that make me a ?freaking crybaby jerk? I guess so?join the club.
2. Never once did I say I should have won. NOT one single time!! I did say I am surprised that I did not make the TOP 7 and if I would have won ?I would have enjoyed Hunting with you ?assuming my buddy turned it down? But as I have said a 100 times, if had won the trip was going to be given to my friend and the pack I was being given away. I would have gotten NOTHING out of this!!!!
3. I believe your original instructions was ?Bring us along on our hunting season? I believe you said that you did not HAVE to kill a animal and I would assume that you did not have to go on a ton of hunts?I was wrong. (a story should be judged for the story not how many hunts or how big something was)
4. I did say that I HUGELY respect the ladies and enjoyed their hunts and I have written them each individually on that. It is the truth and as mentioned to Predator, I could only hope that my daughter end up like her!!!. BUT if the story is about bringing you along AND you say I did not have scouting pictures or that my buddy took shed pictures or I gave pictures about hunting tips or showing where my family comes from then I am guilty?but hey is that not about bringing a person along. Not sure I would call that filler but hey? So yes I do not feel that a guided hunt being the major part should not weigh the same?just my opinion. AND I do not believe they had scouting pictures etc. Still VERY good reads.
5. So I said that how is a guided hunt that has NO scouting picture any different than me posting picture from my friend ---- you said mine was ?just the same a guided hunt? That is bull crap!!!
6. Popularity?hmm let's see. There was a post a couple of months ago that I now can't find because it has been taken down or something, but it said that the Lady hunters were getting their votes (many guys) because they were ladies and that was MONTHS before many of the great stories had been written.

Anyway I have so far been called ?nuts?, ?jerk?, ?baby?, ?crybaby jerk? by Brian, and you will be hard pressed to find anything from me! I do have a right to my opinion like others and I know you can't accommodate everyone on a site, I believe I even said I think you do a good job at running the site.

Brian no need to offer the invitation to take an extra person on the hunt or anything like that---because I HIGHLY doubt my friend would want this gift now, but staying true to my nature Elkhunter96 won the score contest with 208 vs. 208 1/8 and I would give him anything I would have won at this point (which by the way I do not know this person).

I believe I have said my piece. Still like to see if my hunt is deemed to be Guided.

Just another way to be guided that's all. In this case, a
good friend who helped. Personally, I would prefer to be
guided by a close friend or family member than by a paid
service. Makes the moment, I think more personal and
memorable.

ELDORADO

Some of you guys with thin skin that really care what others on the internet think come on over to Sportsmen talk. We'll toughen you're hide up a little or run you out. I know not one person on this site other than by what they write, why would I care what they think?

I loved the thread but to tell ya honestly it was a little to long for me with alot of just reading that did not interest me. FOUNDER is right... i dont think it deserved to be in the top 7. There was a lot of awesome stories with alot of differant hunts going on. And really how old are we to complain about something like not making it into the top 7. Who cares its all about making it fun and interesting for other members to help pass the time at work:) ha ha. Hope founder does this again i will for sure do a thread startin with my bear hunt in may.. cant wait

>Had he gone on
>another hunt or two and
>wrote about them, then he
>would have probably been in
>there. It's just like another
>thread in there that was
>super great, but it consisted
>of only one hunt for
>the whole year. While it
>was great, it wasn't as
>good as the ones that
>included mulitple hunts.
>
>Part of the way I judged
>the threads is by asking
>myself, "who's year of hunting
>do I envy". While BearCat
>had a great year and
>told a good story and
>provided good info, he told
>of only one hunt for
>the entire fall, and I
>just didn't "envy" that as
>much as I did the
>stories of folks who went
>on multiple hunts.

>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com

I actually was more of a fan of the "One Hunt per HAC" myself. I think the guys that had one hunt to focus on gave a lot more time and effort to the HAC and we able to provide a lot more info. I also think the posts were easier for everyone to follow with the one hunt. There is no problem with doing several hunts a year, but I think each HAC should be an individual hunt instead of tons of info, areas, animals, and stories scattered in a big bunch.
This has nothing to do with your decision or bearcat's HAC, I just thought I would give my opinion on the "Several hunts in one HAC" vs "One Hunt in the HAC". I know I dedicated every free minute of my time to my 2010 tag, and if I would have had more than one hunt to document I wouldn't have half the stuff I provided on the Pahvant. But then again, I don't have as much time on my hands as some of you guys.
Just my opinion

Thanks Feleno and I don't even know you!!!

I will say it does not really matter as you mentioned. It is not my site and like in the real world ---way way to many people to please. Brian does a great job and I have told that to him in the past and in our conversations.

I just hate when someone says that this hunt was guided (love the one guided hunt I went on--but just not this one), then has the nerve to call me names, and people saying that I am a GLORY hound--that is just funny crap there!!!!

BearCat

WOW!! Bearcat I really enjoyed your HAC. I thought it was well written and a great adventure. Almost all the HAC were very amazing and fun to read. I guess this contest just got a little out of hand. I applaude Brian and everyone else who helped sponsor and manage the HAC. I think it was a very fun contest and an amazing jesture by everyone involved. You are surley entitled to your own opinion bearcat as everyone else. I personally think the top 7 chosen were all very well written and deserve to be there! I don't think your hunt was a quote on quote "guided" hunt. I see no problem with a hunting buddy helping setup, scout, pack another buddy. IMO it wasnt a guided hunt as you didnt pay for the service. That being said I find it very distasteful that you would be sending emails out because you didnt make the top 7 for whatever reasons.Yes you did take us all along on a great adventure and share a great story. So did many others! I hope that you will continue to share your stories and picture with us. I really enjoyed the pictures of the recessed walls and mounts in your home. Very beautiful. Hope you can fill the other one with a stag.

Brian I surely hope that the HAC can become a yearly event and that many more people will join. I for one plan to start one next year if its going. Maybe some more guidlines and rules could be chosen by the MM members before the starting of next years. Thank you to everyone who helped make the HAC possible and thanks for sharing your adventures!!

Being new here, I didn't even realize that there was a contest until I saw the post by Brian asking for help in choosing the winner! I started reading and looking at all the pictures of the entries and all I can say is that they are better than about any dang magazine I get and are equal to or better than all the amateurs writing of their own hunts in the Eastmans mags!!! I don't feel the hunt Bearcat took was guided, but guided/unguided does not appear to be one of the criteria, and if emails went out like was mentioned in the previous post, that is really too bad. I would imagine with the viewership on this website there were a lot of others who thought they should have been finalists and maybe that is correct. I think everyone should just be happy that this website is here for our enjoyment and if anyone wins something that is put up for grabs here, then that is great! To do anything else seems pretty childish IMHO! Just getting out there and doing what we do is what it's all about, regardless of whether there are any contests involved IMHO!!!

I guess Cahunter805 my distasteful email was just asking why I had not made the TOP 7 (NOT even mentioning winning it--because I actually liked others better)with all the work that went into it, and that I thought my 102 posts and 12,000 visits meant that people enjoyed it!

I guess that might have been wrong.

I too hope there is a HAC next year!!! I sure do miss 4Fingers!!!! A better writer (my opinion) would be hard to find!!! I however doubt mine will make it--I have learned my lesson.

BearCat

Pull that string out hanging between your legs and grow a pair. Founder, maybe you need to give out participatory trophy's to everyone that enters from now on so there are no losers. IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY!

Traditional >>>------->

Bearcat,

You seem so upset about not making the top 7, but yet you told everyone in advance that you were going to give away your prize. Who in thier right mind would want to award someone with something they knew they were going to get rid of??? You are the one the created the HAC. The votes you got were from people that thought YOU deserved to win.
I think your big mistake was telling everybody you were going to give away your prize, especially before you even made the finals. You shouldn't assume anything.
That said,
I thought your HAC was great and I appreciate that you shared it with us. Hopefully you will continue to share your adventures with us on this site.

HJB

Bearcat,

I think you are letting this contest get the best of you! I very much enjoyed your HAC and would have put it in the top 7, and you seem like a great guy.

Having said that I think you are being a poor sport. Maybe its just because you got excited about the possibility of gifting Ernesto with the prize?

Everyone it is what it is.. and like in any fight it takes two.

I have placed my votes, and sometimes my giving 110% gets the best of me. I can be thin skinned, competitive, hard headed, and a fighter of what I preceived to be wrong, i can also be a baby and a jerk. I will always help anyone who needs it and value true friendships.

Brian I dissagree, but hey I am sure that is not the first time. You have a great site, but what makes your site is the PEOPLE and some are true sportsmans in every aspect.

Sorry for venting and like in my HAC, my posts are long and filled with emotion--I guess that is the baby in me.

Laters.
Dean

I followed your thread BearCat, and was excited for ya when you got your moose. I also appreciated all the extra info. But to complain about not making top 7 is childish. It wasn't a guided hunt, but it wasn't DIY, it was just a great hunt with a friend.

I cannot see why it matters if it was guided or not???
Did you have a good time? Did you feel cheated in any way?

I loved your story and really could care less if it was guided or not.

I responded above on the topic as presented. Not trying to stir the pot on the HAC or anything, just responding on what I consider a guided hunt.

With that said, as I mentioned in the voting thread, I'm surprised and honored to be in the top 7. Most folks voting are putting me toward the bottom of the list, but I'm just happy to be on the list. I hope this doesn't end up making Brian think twice about doing the HAC next year though. I know he was hoping to get 100+ entries and it would be twice as hard to narrow it down if that was the case.

No matter what, documenting my hunts has been very rewarding for me and I know I will save the thread for myself to help me remember a great year. I personally try to keep a blog going and it is as much for myself as it is for anyone who bothers to read it.

I know the "participation" awards were mentioned tongue in cheek, but I really think it has merit. I think it might encourage people to participate that might not otherwise. Part of the HAC that I enjoyed the most was reading about some hunts that I had really never even thought of. I would love to have it start back up soon for 2011 so we can start reading about some spring bear hunts, Barbary sheep or oryx hunts in New Mexico, etc.

That's my 2 cents. Probably not worth 1/2 that though! ;-)

Nathan

BearCat I enjoyed reading you HAC very much but I would have to say that your hunt was semi-guided not that makes a difference in the HAC contest. It would be just hunting with a friend if neither of you had any knowledge of the area. He did and he pointed you in the right direction.
I found myself voting and caring more about the HAC people that were hunting animals that I care to hunt. Ridgetop killed a great ram but it fell on deaf ears because I know I will never get to hunt one.

I've had great hunts both guided & unguided.

I haven't been with a guide in 10 years.

I had a friend over a while back.
He looked around at all my mounted animals and asked me which one was most special to me.

I gave it a bunch of thought.
None of the animals I took with guides were anywhere near consideration, even my booner brown bear.

Just me though.

HH

I'm still waitin for CUPSY to post his HAC!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

The only people who think hunting with or without a guide is a test of ability are people jealous of those who can afford an outfitter.

Most of my hunting is DIY, on the rare occasions I draw a great tag in an area I know nothing about most of the time I get a guide. I couldn't care less if some slackjaw thinks that makes me less of a hunter.

I, in no way, consider BearCat's hunt guided. Especially compared to some of the "DIY" hunts that I've read about. "Aunt Millie came up and cooked for us. My two brothers, several of my best friends, my dad, my two uncles, etc." Or, "I had to go back to work but my friends stayed up on the mountain hoping to keep track of Mr. Big."

I admit I was partial to BearCat's post. It was for Alaska Moose, one of my dream hunts, but I also thought it was well done. I don't imagine very many of us could take on more than that in a single year. Emotionally or financially.

To be honest, I had a hard time reading very much about any of the sheep hunts. I have absolutely no interest in sheep. You couldn't give me a sheep tag. Weird, I know. And I was reading the posts more for my own entertainment than with an eye of a judge.

Having said that.....I see absolutely no reason to question Founder's decision regarding the winner's of his contest. You will never convince me that Brian was biased in any way. I think he bends over backwards to be fair. And let's not forget, he owns this site. We are only here because he allows us to be.

Eel

it's not a 40 incher but it's closer than the last 40 incher you posted....

JB

Jeezus....I sure hope you are making alot of money from this site flounder to put up with this kind of bullship...

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

JUDAS!

It's BullSshit,not bullship!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

BEARCAT

Not Guided from my perspective.

Now, I want to help you pull the plug from your computer and go look at that BIG FRICKEN MONSTER BULL MOOSE you got in you Living room!

Pull out some photos... Remind yourself of your incredible hunt and soak up all the positive feelings of your accomplishment.

Don't let you moose adventure end on this sour issue... Buck up bud!

MM'ers clicked on your link because many peole liked it.

In the football locker room every losing coach tells his team they're all winners too. Some win, some lose. (FACT of Life.) Life isn't fair, but everybody needs a buddy, and you have 10,000 people that read your post and 99% read your content because it was awesome.

You won over the respect of those that read from start to finish.

If I go to AK for Moose, I could only hope I have the trip yours was.

Maybe we can go hunting and kill all the big bucks on the FRONT as Founder heads up to Wyoming. LOL

Plug the cord now....go look at bull.
Midnight

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-11 AT 05:04PM (MST)[p]
I had not been keeping up with the HAC.

Bearcat, your thread was awesome.

No I wouldn't call it guided, it's not like you shopped for a hunt, paid the big bucks and tagged along as the trigger man.
It was awesome.
I absolutely love those animals & the country.

I really want to do that hunt again, this time with my son.

Excellent.

beer.gif

Edit:

I don't know what went on B/T you & Founder, just commenting on a hunt I love and your photos.

People are funny, I guess that's why I love hunting so much, it takes me away.

First off thanks for those that took the time to respond.

I am human and I make mistakes. I am thin skinned and take thing way to personal. I wear my emotions on my sleeves and that gets the best of me. I try to be the best I can and I fail. Does that make me a crybaby, a jerk, or childish, or a pissed off contestant, I guess so.

Brian I apologize to you!!! I never intended this to be put on the forum and that is why I contacted you directly?but as with most things they have a tendency to spiral out of control. I can't in good conscience apologize for my feeling of being upset (that is just me), but I NEVER meant to question YOUR ethics/judgment. I do believe people vote for their favorite people, animals they like, hunts they dream about, etc and not necessarily for the ?rules? of the hunt. Is this wrong, probably not as it is just our human nature. You are a stand up guy and run a great site!

I will NEVER EVER believe that my hunt was guided and I am sure you will continue to think it was?and that is ok as that makes the world turn! I hope when I go with my friends out they do not feel like I am guiding them but just along to help and enjoy.

If I offended anyone on the whole Guided/Non Guide question I apologize especially to Predator and LadyHunter!! I have nothing against guides and I sure hope to be able to afford one someday. The question was never around good or bad, just IF my hunt was classified as FULLY GUIDED as Brian believes.

For all of those guys/gals that think I am a glory hound, lazy, let my friend do all the work on my Moose trip , or do not pull 110% of my weight in ANYTHING I do?well you know where you can go.

I have asked Brian to pull this post (not a moderator), because even though I simply asked for a YES or NO question and did not post any name etc, the post has turned into the one thing that sickens me about this site(not just this site by the way) and that is the name calling, jabbing, harsh words etc that goes on. Yes you may say that is the ?thinned skin? in me, but others might just say that it is the way I was raised. I do not like it and try not to be a part of it. Do not get me wrong I can be a bear if need be, but know that nothing good usually comes of it and this is a PERFECT example.

So yes I believe a part of this was my fault and I was childish. I think I forgot it was a contest and got caught up in the hard work, but as I mentioned earlier I apologize!

Thanks and sorry in advance!!!

Dean

Dean, I think one of the problems was that you got hooked up with Ernesto.:) There are very few people anywhere who could keep up with him. He is actually a legend even in Alaska.

Anyone hunting with Ernesto would look guided!:) You're lucky to have such a good friend.

Eel

it's not a 40 incher but it's closer than the last 40 incher you posted....

JB

Good call, Founder. This entire thread was a waste of time. And while I liked much of Bearcats HAC, eventually it became just a waste of time as well. Congrats to the top 7 HAC thread. I've read them all and they are great.
Bill

No money exchanged hands.Like WhackemStackem said-"no transaction-no guide".Pretty simple.I spotted my buddies buck for him this year.Did I guide him??Whatever.Had a couple of NR buddies kill booner goats last year in Wy.I wasn't with them,but did tell them where I thought they should go,and they went there.Guide??

BTW,I didn't read the HAC,because I don't give a rat's a$$ about it.Any contest that is decided by someone(or more than one)subjectively is subject to the scrutiny that started this thread.Kinda like the "excessive celebration" penalty in football.Too much is subject to the interpretation of one or more individuals.

Jeepers Founder,

Maybe next year you should call it the "Hunt Adventure of more than one big game animal Challenge"

According to your prior claims of why Bearcat didnt make it....
"Had he gone on another hunt or two and wrote about them, then he would have probably been in there. It's just like another thread in there that was super great, but it consisted of only one hunt for the whole year. While it was great, it wasn't as good as the ones that included mulitple hunts."

Sucks for those guys that can only afford to go on one big game animal hunt per year!

UTAHMULIES put all his time and effort into one hunt and scored on a big ol muley buck on opening morning.
Do you remember that one Founder?? This is what you said about his "One Hunt Adventure"

"That there is the PERFECT Hunt Adventure Challenge story. Fantastic Lance!!! Love all the pictures, the story, and you got a MONSTER!!!!
You've left me wanting to get out and go hunting! And that's what it's all about.
What a great buck."
Mule deer section archive page 312.

Yet UTAHMULIES and BEARCAT still didnt make it into the top 7.

This was suppossed be a way for people to share their hunt with others on this site in a personal way. I for one enjoyed following everyones adventures and I know many others did too.

Thanks to everyone that shared their stories and I hope the rules will be better explained next year.

BEARCAT .... keep your head up. You killed a dream animal that any of us would have in a heart beat!!

Utahmulies thread was awesome, as was BearCat's. The top 7 we have now are also awesome. There can only be 7, in the top 7. There were a couple other threads, other than those two, that were real close that I posted in the moderators forum asking what they thought. In the end, the 7 that were picked, were the 7 that were picked. What the heck else am I supposed to do!?!?! If I could have put 10 in the top 7, I would!!!!
I'm sorry you don't agree with the choice that was made.

As I stated, after reading the threads, I asked myself, "which 2011 adventure would I like to have had?" Going on one hunt all year is fine, but more is better, so that played into my accessment of what adventure I though was best. BUT, that was only a part of it.

Anyway, I'm tired of trying to explain it. If you don't like the decision, I no longer care. Go crawl in a corner and whine.

TO ALL - Please keep giving me feedback on who should win. (But please don't whine about who didn't make the top 7.) I have been swamped with stuff and haven't had a chance to go through the threads again, but will and then combine my opinion with what's been shared here and get it posted. Sorry I'm slow.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

>Utahmulies thread was awesome, as was
>BearCat's. The top 7 we
>have now are also awesome.
>There can only be 7,
>in the top 7. There
>were a couple other threads,
>other than those two, that
>were real close that I
>posted in the moderators forum ....

I have been looking at MM for years. I sent some pics to this site years ago when it first started up. I didn't know there was a forum until Nov. of this year. That is when I started spending all my free time on MM, reading the Hunt Challenge. I've read every word of every HAC and got to say I agree with Founders comment about numerous animals hunted was more interesting to read. I did really enjoy your thread BearCat, it is a dream hunt in the eye of many. I moved to AK because this is one of the only ways I would be able to hunt them. There is no question to me on Founders choices although. All 7 of those thread were great! I have to admit, The one about the sheep hunt (can't remember the name... The Quest for Double D or something like that.) did not interest from title. I grew up with sheep all around my home town that were almost like pets, so sheep hunting never interested me that much. But after reading it was very surprised! It was an exciting hunt and I would put it up in the top two with him and Predator.

BearCat- Congrats on a great DIWAB hunt (Do it with a Buddy)

"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

Maybe founder can make it like my kids soccer team. Everyone who participated gets a trophy. That way kids like bearcat won't feel bad.

Life isn't fair, get over it.

It was a story contest on the internet....seriously.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom