What is the sound......

AndymanSavage

Very Active Member
......that a 348 grain powerbelt aerotip pushed by 90gr BH209 makes when it hits a bull's shoulder at 75 yards?

Glad you asked, here's the answer;

My dad dew a LE elk tag and had a muzzy that he wanted to use. It was a never-fired Knight wolverine .54 with the stainless Green Mtn barrel. We put a .209 conversion kit in it and topped it with a Simmons 1x32 scope and it was off to the range. Now, when it comes to bullet selection, our family has always shot the sst for big game. As you all know, the selection in saboted bullets for the .54 is not great. If you can even find anything the jacket is so this because you are shooting a .45cal bullet. This and several other factors led me to the Powerbelt. I have heard countless stories on the powerbelt....they are the lead hammer of the gods.....they are a grenade that blows up on the hide of elk....you get it. My thought was; They are super accurate, they are a big heavy chunk of lead, they will probably work fine on most shots. We settled on the 348 grain aerotip and got it sighted in.

The shot was 75 yards wit ha slight quartering to angle, the frons shoulder was obliterated (listen to video). The lungs were jelly, and the bull was down within 20 yds. There was no bloodtrail to speak of, and the bullet was not recovered. It stayed in the chest cavity somewhere. Idon't know if it held together. I do not care.

I will keep with the SST in all my .50 cal guns, but I think that we found a great option for the .54 that will be used again next fall...

Just my .02, the powerbelt may not be the end all be all, but it sure ended this bull real quick.....

300534_2228085696478_1077879888_2384341_758415697_n.jpg

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom