What is the top end bull in unit 16?

C

CCMuleyHunter

Has anyone spent much time in unit 16 in 2011 or 2012? I would like to get some data to see if there are any many bulls over that 380" mark still roaming this unit. I'm pretty sure that I'm the largest point holder for elk as a NR in the country. I won't draw this year since I put in for points and with only 1 NR tag for each season, it is a minimal chance that I will ever draw it. However, I don't want to burn much $4.00 a gallon diesel to scout for the next two years if there aren't any top end bulls to chase. I know of some bulls in this caliber in some of the Idaho border units and now that they have a rut muzzy hunt. It might be a good choice.

16 is kind of unique because it is more or less the only rifle rut hunt in the state, I have never personally hunted it, but I have friends that hunt there a lot, the quality has gone way down. There are still nice bulls there and Im sure its a fun hunt, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a 350 plus bull, let alone a 380 bull. But like I said I have never personally hunted it, so just my 2 cent, but I definately wouldnt waste max points on it.

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna plan a scouting trip to look for sheds in the very near future. Will let you know if I find any bone worth talking about.

Hey CC , how many points do you have ? Im feeling left out too on this , I went in to this years draw with 19 points for elk .

I have 20 going into this year's draw. I just put in for preference points again this year, but I'm looking to hunt in the next couple of years. I've watched and helped harvest some really good bull in Nevada over the past ten years and now its' time for me to go after one.
I helped one of my best friends take a 380 bull near Ely last year and I saw two that were bigger, so heading back there isn't out of the question. I just feel that unit 16 is going to yield a few whoppers now that there will be two back to back years with nothing, but primitive weapons used during the rut. Regardless, our odds of getting this tag is pretty minimal. Some guy with 11 points drew the rifle tag in 2012.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom