WHAT IS UTAH THINKING?

huntinguy

Just spent the last 6 days hunting elk during the archery in Ely, Nevada. Several close calls but came home eating tag soup. This was my first time ever hunting with a bow and it's plain tough. The hunt is very weather dependent and believe it or not the elk were not at full rut. That along with the watchful eyes of several cows makes it fun, challenging, but at the same time disapointing.With a rifle I could have been successful 5 times a day for 6 days with 350 plus bulls. No joke.

Dont get me wrong I plan on archery hunting elk lots in the future but I cant help but think how easy rifle hunting elk would be especially in Utah during prime time rutting. I think Utah has it all wrong doing it this way and that Nevada is smart to have their rifle elk hunt in late October and Muzzle elk in November. What is Utah thinking??? I've heard it said that this hunt is like going shopping for elk.

Very cool seeing all the bulls that hit the ground. Any one that has ever shot a bull or buck with a bow has my total respect as it is hard as hell to do and takes many, many variables to come together at the same time.Any ways just some thoughts.

Nice post. What is even worse is most of the tags are given to the rifle guys. Which makes it almost as hard to draw an archery tag as it is too draw a rifle tag. I love to bow hunt but some times I pull out the rifle. I don't think it should take 10-15 years to draw an archery tag. The tags should be split in 1/3 Archery, muzzy, and rifle. If you want to hunt with a rifle thats fine but it should take atleast twice as long to draw. If the tags where at 1/3 with all weapons. you could give more tags and kill the same amount of elk. Putting the rifle hunt in October would result in less bulls killed. So this would also help to give more tags and opportunity.

Times have changed. We can't all run around with modern rifles and hunt elk in the rut. I wish we could but it just doesn't work that way!

You can't kill them on the couch!

true but you cant have the rifle in october and the muzzy in november on some units it would be a free for all like on the manti you could shoot the biggest bull on the mountain out of your car window the elk start to pile into the low country as early as october if you do any shed hunting then you know how close you can get to huge bulls and this theory has been proven by the late hunt

Amen brother, try telling that to the dumbshts that made it that way! archery guys do get a little more time to harvest elk but rifle during peak or near it does not balance out.

"true but you cant have the rifle in october and the muzzy in november on some units it would be a free for all like on the manti you could shoot the biggest bull on the mountain out of your car window"

Thats good stuff right there! Tell some more jokes.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom