What is your week

HuntLife17

Let’s say you have 5-7 days to hunt in any location in any state, when are you picking? Sitting wallows in the early season heat, chasing bugles in later September, glassing up some late season survivors, etc. Why do you prefer that time vs any other time?

On many muzzy deer hunts here in Utah, I've had the opportunity to bugle at and mess with ruttin bull elk, calling several close on those occasions. Tough to beat the feeling of 'tricking' one of those bulls like that, and watching the rut action.

My dad has an LE Muzzy elk tag this year and we're hoping to have that exact experience. ?

Are you Gonna Be F'N With Them With Your Call Educating Them Like Normal Now Your Dad Has A Tag?:D

On many muzzy deer hunts here in Utah, I've had the opportunity to bugle at and mess with ruttin bull elk, calling several close on those occasions. Tough to beat the feeling of 'tricking' one of those bulls like that, and watching the rut action.

My dad has an LE Muzzy elk tag this year and we're hoping to have that exact experience. ?

September 22nd. i start hunting seriously the 15th every year but thats the date i always know its going to fire up. so the week before that im out there, but if its slow i don't really worry. the 22nd has always been the date in my head, after that i know its going down.

Tough decision - late season deer hunt in the right area is a blast to me. Looking over a ton of bucks from a glassing position is really fun to me. That said, rutting bulls in mid September is hard to beat.

JPicket, you nailed it. We typically put in for the first archery in NM which is September 1-15 as draw odds are better. We get into them with locator bugles but The Best time to be out there is centered around September 22.

Let’s say you have 5-7 days to hunt in any location in any state, when are you picking? Sitting wallows in the early season heat, chasing bugles in later September, glassing up some late season survivors, etc. Why do you prefer that time vs any other time?
I prefer late season hunts.

Tradition; it's the only time I've ever hunted...cold weather, snow, campfires and so on.

I'm not near as avid of an elk hunter as many on this site and I seldom have a tag in my pocket. That said, my favorite elk hunt was in the middle of the September rut in Utah with a rifle in hand. It was incredible to call screaming bulls into your lap, and to do it multiple times a day was amazing. I had so much fun, I got to the point where size became much less of a factor than I originally thought it would be. I just wanted to soak in the experience, so I did. To me, no wild sound is more stirring than the thunderous bellow of a rutting bull elk and chasing that sound in hopes of finding a giant bull on the other end is about as exciting as hunting can get.

littlebig was so insatuated We Couldn't Get Him To Stop By Our Camp!:D

I'm not near as avid of an elk hunter as many on this site and I seldom have a tag in my pocket. That said, my favorite elk hunt was in the middle of the September rut in Utah with a rifle in hand. It was incredible to call screaming bulls into your lap, and to do it multiple times a day was amazing. I had so much fun, I got to the point where size became much less of a factor than I originally thought it would be. I just wanted to soak in the experience, so I did. To me, no wild sound is more stirring than the thunderous bellow of a rutting bull elk and chasing that sound in hopes of finding a giant bull on the other end is about as exciting as hunting can get.

It’s tough, early season in the alpine can be bonkers for elk. I’m going Sept for elk always. Haven’t had a chance to hunt deer in the alpine yet, but I do enjoy a good rifle rut hunt for mulies, definitely more relaxing to me than a bugle fest sept elk hunt, just chilling and glassing, but the excitement is that you may see a monster buck pop out at anytime during the day and once you see him it is on!

littlebig was so insatuated We Couldn't Get Him To Stop By Our Camp!:D
Is "insatuated" Basin lingo?
I know infatuated, and insatiated but not insatuated.

But in a weird way insatuated kinda makes sense. :ROFLMAO:
I think Bess coined a new word for elk hunting!
Insatuated: "A short lived passion that can't be satisfied!"
Well done.

Well littlebig!

We Did Get To Chat On The Phone A Couple of Times!

Is "insatuated" Basin lingo?
I know infatuated, and insatiated but not insatuated.

But in a weird way insatuated kinda makes sense. :ROFLMAO:
I think Bess coined a new word for elk hunting!
Insatuated: "A short lived passion that can't be satisfied!"
Well done.

Sept 3rd is the best day of elk season IMHO. It is the magic day where all the bachelor groups break up and the bulls start yodelling for the cows, but haven't rounded them up yet.

Nothing like hunting love sick bulls when there aren't 30 to 50 cows around to blow you up every time.

Unfortunately it only lasts a day or two then it's 20 days more before the peak. Luckily for me I have three gen elk tags this year so, I'm hoping to hit all of it :)

Just my $0.02

Cheers, Pete

I like to bowhunt elk so the first week is my favorite. Around here they already have or are trying to break up the big cow heards into harems and the big bulls that aren't doing that yet are allot easier to stalk or kill before they are with cows. If I'm hunting just to kill any elk any week In mid September without a full moon has been best for.me

If you are only hunting 6-7 days for elk that is the biggest problem I see!
I like to elk hunt in at least 4 states each year, 5-6 if I get lucky in the draws. That means I have at least 10 days in each month starting in August. I get the early, early season, the rut, post rut, and late season hunts in the snow. Choosing one season over all the others is like picking my favorite child. And while I may have a favorite, I wont ever admit it.
Bill

Washington season doesn't start until 2nd week of September and the rosey bulls usually have already joined the cows and are tucked away trying to defend from other bulls, in Oregon I usually chase rocky's they seem to be a good two weeks behind the roseys. I hunt the desert in Oregon so ambush is usually my go to, then chase bugles in Washington. I get more thrill chasing bugles specially when shots on the coast are usually 5-20 yards

Bugling bulls in Sept is a blast.

However, I prefer cold weather hunting for deer and elk. Less chance of meat spoiling and cooler temps reduce the risk of dehydration for me. Been dehydrated quite a few times during earlier hunts and it ain’t fun. (I sweat a lot lol!) chalk me up for a November guy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom