What kind of call is this?

DonMartin

Very Active Member
Guys I have been using a varmint call that was given to me a few years back to successfully call in desert mule deer and javelina in this past December and now in January.

It has no name on it, and Eric Hively is going nuts trying to find one so he can call in a huge buck he has been chasing.

So here it is, if you know what it is, share it with us.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

4175varmint-deer_call_january_2012.jpg

I don't know! Like I said it was given to me years ago and I never used it. It does NOT have any name or ID on it.

But I tried it in December and as my clients will attest, it sure brings in the critters running! (deer and javelina)

I start off the calling sequence very low and slow then bring it up slowly.

I can tell you another thing. If they see you calling they don't come in. Sneak into an area, sit down and start calling and if there are deer in the area they will either come in or worst case, they will stand up and try to find the source of the calling.

Its not going to take more than 5 minutes before you'll see 'em.

Don Martin
AWO

Hey to the guys asking me if these calls work on whitetails.

I'm not sure how these calls work on Coues whitetails. I hope one of you deer hunters will try out the call. I'm curious to see if this technique works on those deer too!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

It sure does look like the "Who's 'YRR' Daddy elk call.

Funny thing is I had bought one for the last elk hunt I had and tried to use it and it did not sound right and ended up giving it to my cousin. I think I'm going to ask for it back!

https://buglingbull.com/gamecalls/140-whos-yrr-daddy/

As Nonet posted, there is a wood and plastic one available.

Don, I guess the only way to really tell is if you can post the sounds you create with yours and compare it against this.

There is a link on the web page I had posted to the YouTube sight that shows a demo on how to use the call thus showing the sound it makes, when used properly... like I said I could not make it sound as good as demonstrated in the video so mileage may vary depending on the person behind it...

That is definitely the call! I can't find the You-Tube demo though. But elk call or not, this is a mulie calling machine!

Don Martin
AWO

Found it, yep that's it! Never even thought about being an elk call. Guess I'll give it a try..heck of a deer call though!

Gonna call and get a wooden one see if it works as good as the plastic!

Don Martin
AWO

Hey Don,

Does yours have the button like in the video? (see link above)

I'd be interested to here how you use it. Bring it to the next taping if you would please.

Thanks,
Dan H. CATV57

I broke off the button taking it out of my pocket...I'll bring it to our next taping of our show....

Don Martin
Host
"Back At Camp" television show
CATV 57

No, we did not..I used them in January while guiding archery deer/javelina hunters.

I start off with a low sound, then gradually increase the volume. To me, it sounds like a rabbit call.

Don Martin

Interesting, when you are calling deer in with it, are you calling like you would on a varmint call?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom