What kind of pack?

Muleyfanatic

Okay so I'm 15 years old and looking to buy my first decent pack. I'm looking for around 100$ but I could go more if it's really worth it. I want it to be durable and be able to take a beating. I want it to be able to pack out a quarter of an elk. It will be mostly used for day hunts but should be able to carry quite a bit. It would be nice if it had a water blatter with it but it doesn't need to. Have any packs in mind that would be nice?

If you are limited in budget. You can shop around and buy almost any used pack frame that fits you. These can be found for small dollars. Then just use a day back, that you probably already own with it. Just lash the elk quarter to the back frame when the time comes.

Is that perfect, no, but it will work and will stay in your budget.

Then when you have enough funds to get the next level pack, leave the frame in your vehicle and you can use it on the second trip.

You can even go new, if you have a day pack already.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...ce=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=19779

Like I said I can go over 100$. I'll just save up more money and buy it. BUT only if it is truly worth it. What do you think of the Eberlestock X series? Those look pretty nice and thanks for the link Silver. I will look more into it.

I use a small, camo, light, quiet daypack w/lots of pockets and straps for hunting each day and a 2nd large external frame pack for packing extremely heavy loads. You may find that medium sized packs are a little large/bulky/heavy for hunt (especially thick brush) and aren't large enough nor designed to comfortably carry extreme weights (like an elk hind qtr).

If you are on an extremely tight budget...do yourself a favor and pick up 2 packs on ebay or Craigslist and you will be a lot better off in the long run! Your back and legs will be thankful plus you will stalk in stealth mode through the brush!

It took me quite a few years as a youngster/greenhorn before I realized there was a better way rather than compromising!

I just finished looking for a pack as well. It is going to be difficult to find a new pack that will do everything for $100. I know you can pick up a used Badlands 2200 for a little more. 300wby has one in the classifieds right now. Archerytalk.com also has a good classified section. I just bought a new badlands ox for 300 ($450 retail. Another good reference is bowsite.com. Elkreaper has put together 4 threads of pack reviews. Here is a link to the 1st thread, it long but FULL of tons of good info.

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=379652&messages=513&forum=5

If you are just looking for just a meat hauling frame the Kelty Cache hauler is good.

Muleyfanatic, There are alot of packs out there that you can buy. I would look at saving some money to buy a good pack the first time. I love badlands packs due to the durability and the unconditional lifetime warranty. There are several good buys online and at some outdoor shows when they come around. Keep an eye out and you will find something that will work for you.

Currently on camofire they have they have a elberstock pack out for there for 89. Keep an eye on there.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom