What LE species

GLEDEASY

This year I drew my elk tag. Had a great time, harvested a nice bull and now I have 5 years to wait to start applying again.

I've been trying to debate what to do now. Between pronghorn and deer I'm not sure which way to go. I would certainly like to draw the tag within the 5 year period. I'm probably leaning towards deer.

Any units that I should look to? Of course we all like trophy potential, but honestly a 150-160 class buck would make me plenty happy. I would hope a LE tag would give me a better chance at this than a general tag?

Please and thank you for any advise. Feel free to PM me as well.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-14 AT 09:29PM (MST)[p]Was in same boat as Gled last year, and I am now doing just what Carter suggests.

Also, I am going to try to draw a lower tier archery LE deer unit as soon as I can within my 5 year waiting period so I can get right back to building bull points again. I feel I can find quality bucks in a lot of units, including general, especially with the DHP. But I LOVE big bull archery hunting during the rut. And I am building my points for goat in Wyoming.

Hope you guys aren't to dissapointed. I'm sitting at 8 points for deer and I have very few options. 5 gets you nothing, but a chance at the lottery.

It seems to be a waste to try drawing antelope in Utah, when you can draw so much quicker in Wyoming. So like others here I would try for a deer. On the other hand you are not likely to draw a deer tag in any LE unit in only 5 years.
So look at the easy to draw units and go for it and if you don't mind trying with archery equipment, that gives you a little advantage as well.

I know when I was in your spot I applied for antelope. You can draw an archery Antelope tag with 2-3 points. Easily within the 5 year waiting period. There is not a LE deer tag with a reasonable chance of drawing with 5 points. You can hunt general season archery deer every year.

Hey Spencer, I don't know how you feel about CWMU's, but I bet there are a handful or maybe even more CWMU deer hunts you could draw in a 5 year period. Just check the odds on the DWR site.

Thanks Shane, I've been thinking about this very thing. Guess I'll have to do some homework on CWMU's.

My guess is no one would want to give some pointers as to which one, would they? :)

>Hope you guys aren't too dissapointed.
>I'm sitting at 8 points
>for deer and I have
>very few options. 5 gets
>you nothing, but a chance
>at the lottery.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

My elk tag came along in 2001 and I've been stuck on deer ever since. My deer goals are a bit different than your which has lead to my lenghty applications for deer.
Maybe I'll get back in the elk thing in a couple years but like elkohiloc said, 5 deer points gets you just about nothing.

Good luck no matter what you decide!

Zeke

No problem. I have never hunted on any of them but I know almost all of them in the northern part of the state produce good bucks every year. I will ask around and if I hear anything I will let you know.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-14 AT 09:14AM (MST)[p]With 0-5 points (your waiting period) there are no LE deer tags you could draw (max point pool) for deer. With the CWMUs there are 5 units you could draw (based on current data), none of which offer any sort of quality--they just are not managing for quality. IMO the are not any better than then many of the general season units (except the crowds). If I had to pick one, it would be Summit Point just because I know the quality, unit, and operator, its in san juan county. Another (a new unit, IMO verdict still out if you like to gamble) would be sage valley (box elder county) but again, I know the area and operator.

Antelope brother.....you have so many more options and are highly likely do draw during your waiting period, unlike deer.

Todd Black

Visit our YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/bulls4bto?feature=mhum

Thanks for the info and insight. Guess I had been in the elk pool for so long that I had no idea deer was just as bad, if not worse.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom