What to buy Next?

2f350s

Need a recomendation as to what caliber to buy next.

I have a .204, .223Rem, .243win, 25-06, 270win, 7mm RemMag, 30-06, and .338 WinMag. I like to match appropriate calibers to the game I'm hunting like (.204/.223 for varmints, or .243/25-06 for antelope, mags for elk, etc.)

All the rifles I currently own are factory production guns like Ruger, Rem, Win, and give me MOA accuracy. I reload my own for all of them and don't really want a proprietary "super-dooper magnum" with ammo that costs $75+ per box... but might have to be flexible on this.

I'd like to buy a "higher-end" bolt-action (Sako, Kimber, Browning) but not a custom rifle. I already have several shotguns, couple muzzleloaders and Archery stuff too.

My problem is; when I consider the caliber (example 270WSM) and study the ballistics it doesn't perform significantly better than what I already have to justify putting out the money...

Any thoughts on caliber/mfc????

You about have everything covered.

You could sneek a 6.5x284 in there but you would probably not use the 25-06 or 270 after that.

How about a large cal, slow mover like a 45-70 for bears or elk in thick timber?

I agree, you've about got all of your bases covered with the calibers that you have. I think it'd ok to have a calibers that overlap in purpose.

I think a big bore lever gun would be pretty awesome.. but if you're looking to stay with bolt guns, I'd maybe think of the 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5X284 or maybe a little bigger- 300 H&H? 375 Ruger?

I like that 45-70 idea... you know I don't have a single shot!

There are some really nice single shot rifles out there.

Thanks!

The 375 Ruger is definitely a step up, any experience on the recoil end of going that big? My .338 racks me as is, but I do use it regularly.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-13 AT 02:32PM (MST)[p]>The 375 Ruger is definitely a
>step up, any experience on
>the recoil end of going
>that big? My .338
>racks me as is, but
>I do use it regularly.
>

I don't have any experience with it, but I'm sure it wouldn't be the most fun to take to the range. Looking it up on Chuck Hawkes recoil table shows that it packs quite the punch on both ends for sure - 9 lb rifle 270 gr. slug @ 2840 FPS = 41.3 ft lbs of recoil.

I think a 45-70 would be much more enjoyable to shoot! Especially if you can find it in a slightly heavy rifle... looks like Ruger chambers their Ruger #1 in .45-70.

Thanks for doing the research on the recoil, a 375 sure is stout!

I'm thinking your right about being able to ENJOY a day at the range with a 45-70... I'm going to look at the Ruger #1 and do some searches for other rifle types and prices.

Get back to this post after a bit...

sounds like you need a 6mm BR. I have played around with alot of different firearms and my favorite is a 6mm br I put together with a stevens model 200 action, a prefit barrel, different trigger and stock. kicks like a .223, shoots accurate out past 600 yards. wind drift is less with the high BC bullets available and it is cheap to shoot. alot of different choices and all would be fun. but a light kicking accurate rifle like a 6mm br is at the top of my fun gun to shoot list........ ce61

I agree, it looks like you don't have many real gaps with the calibers you currently own. I would suggest you look at some type of rifle you have always wanted that will be fun to shoot and not worry much about caliber.

You got the bases covered, maybe buy a reloading setup if you don't have one already...Food for thought..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

You are missing a fast .30 in your line up. You might consider a 300 magnum, either winchester, weatherby or remington.?

Good point... adding a "fast" .30 is something to consider, but so many choices (300 Win, 300 Wby, 300 Ultra, 30-378 etc) I'd like to reload for whatever I get to save $ammo.

Which do you experience with if you're willing to share?

I also like the idea in previous posts to go bigger maybe adding 45-70 or .375 to my collection.

For a fast .30, I'd go Ultra. But I've been shooting one for 12 years so I have a biased opinion. mtmuley

How about a super light weight hunter, one that would be big enough to take what you hunt most but easy to pack around all day in your hands or on your shoulder.

I can say for a fact that i never paid much attention to what my shooters weighed...until i got a bit older. Now, i want a lighter gun to pack and the others seem to stay in the safe.

Even if you duplicate a cartridge that you already have, if you can knock off 3-4 pounds of loaded, ready to hunt weight off your set-up, it's like a whole new thing and probably a good investment to boot!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I would add a Sako model 85 Finnlight in 300wsm to your lineup if you have about 1600 bucks that you dont want anymore. That is one sweet production rifle imo.

Like you and others have mentioned, you have most things covered. I agree with waspocrew on the 375 Ruger. I bbuild one last year on a Interarms Mk X Mauser action. On full house loads, it has some substantial recoil. I shot it prone with loads pushing a 300 gr bullet 2650 fps and it gets your attention. Shooting off of sticks is not too bad though.

Another route is a high end modern muzzleloader. Companies like Swinglock, Bad Bull, DSS, and others make modern muzzleloaders that can handle centerfire rifle pressures and provide match grade accurcy. On the more economical route, a Rem700 ML can be turned into a beast that is capable of taking anything on this planet. With a Savage breechplug and a 209 bolt nose kit, it will safely handle smokeless powder and can push 325 gr bullets over 2600 fps. This can be had for about 1/3 the price of the commercial versions. Some of the more talented shooters are getting MOA groups at over 600 yards.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom