What to do with a wolf after harvest?

WABULLSnBUCKS

I guess my real question is this. Are you required to take the animal if you have no intention of using it for taxidermy purposes? Would it be considered waste of game to leave it in the field? Just thought I would ask on the forum, before exploring the regs. Thanks

Regs dont require you to harvest the meat. but I think you would be crazy not to skin it and tan the hide or attempt to sell the hide. The skinning proccess is not complicated (especially when you do it immediatly upon kill). you can look up great videos on youtube. on coyote skinning. make sure you do it like that. Not like you might skin a deer or elk.

what area are you thinking about hunting?

Thanks for the reply. Not planning on anything this year, but looking at Idaho (elk/deer) for next year and just thinking that I might throw in a wolf tag because they are cheap. Not really interested in having a wolf hide, but selling or trading is a good idea.

since you will already be purchasing a liscence. Its a great idea to have a wolf tag in your pocket if your hunting north or central portion of the state. You know you will see one if you dont buy the tag!!

FYI...
Mandatory Report and Check: Hunters and trappers must
report killing a wolf within 72 hours by calling the Wolf
Reporting Number at 1-855-648-5558. They must also within
10 days of the date of kill, present the skull and hide to a Fish
and Game regional office or conservation officer for removal
and retention of a premolar tooth and to have the hide tagged
with an official state export tag.

Nonresident Deer or Elk tags: A nonresident deer or elk tag,
excluding nonresident junior mentored deer and elk tags, may
be used to tag a black bear, mountain lion or gray wolf, see
Page 98.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/rules/bgWolf.pdf

www.pure-elevation.com

I think it's the same for all predators in Idaho, "Head And Hide". Coyotes are not the same classification and can be left.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom