What to do??

ARROWHNTR

Here is a question for you guys! About two years ago i placed an ad on KSL selling a pair of Swarovski Bino's for $1250. I had a local taxidermist contact me and ask me if i would be willing to trade the binos for tasxidermy work. Well it just happened I had just retured from canada and had a bear in the freezer that i wanted made into a rug.

So I agreeded to trade him the binos for $1250 credit to put towards the bear and whatever else I wanted. So I dropped off the bear and the binos to him, he filled out the paper work listed the binos as credit on it and put the expected delivery date of may 2009.

May came and I had not heard anything from him, so i called and he told me it was almost done and he would call me in a few weeks to pick it up. Well he never called, I gave him a month or so and called again same story, its almost done call you soon, never called. Well now he will not answer my calls at all I have left him several messages he has never called me back.

So about a month ago I got the idea to call him from an Idaho number, and he answered, he was shocked it was me and i could tell he was caught off guard. He tried to BS with me for a min and I just asked him about the bear. He told me his dad was now working on it and he would have him call me. Well guess what nobody ever called!

So I am now pissed and want to know what you guys would do, right now I am out a 1250 pair of binos, and a bear rug for a canada hunt that cost me over 3 grand.

I would like to do some trading with you. If you have any more Swaros I could have, that would work for starters...Sorry couldn't resist.

My .02 is to take a road trip. I would talk to the LO around there and fill them in. I would visit his door step with the LO and paper work in tow. Next would be small claims, then even if you win, collecting the $ is another problem. You are on the verge of a mess. Cut it off ASAP before the bastard is gone.

Good luck.

HK

I spent a lot of years in banking (that means collecting). I'd say HK gave pretty good advice.....and correctly said it could be tough to ever collect.

Good luck!

Within the shadows, go quietly.

What they said above, but, I would insist on getting the bear skin in whatever condition it is in right now and take pictures of it.
Also insist that you get your binocs back immediatelly.

Start by sending a certified letter to that effect giving him a week to comply.

If you get your stuff back in decent condition I would just move on and bad mouth the scum bag every chance you get.

If either are unavailable or damaged take all you really have is small claims and that most likely be a waste of your time.

I would definitely take every chance I could to share your experience with others. Let's say like on a forum such as this, and on KSL. Kind of a public service.

I think others should be aware of how this guy operates.

So, who was it?

I do a lot of buying and selling on KSL and I would like to know so I don't get burned as well.

Thanks for sharing.

PS - I would also take a road trip and maybe a friend or 2 and get what is rightfully mine back ASAP.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-10 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p]Take all your licenses with ya to show that the bear BELONGS to you and the Bino too, then have the local GW and LE to keep the peace with ya to his place of business and get your Stuff Back.

IF that don't work Park a Flatbed trailer outside his business on the public street detailing his business and what was done with you and the deal you had with him in BIG letters on a 4x8 plywood sign and how he is cheating you out of your Bino that will drive away more clients then what it is worth to him and he will give your stuff back. IMO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Your in a tough situation because he is holding the cards (he has your bino's and your bear hide) I would try and get the bino's back as leverage if possible - if your to nasty he may shut down even worse (if he gives you some BS about not having them tell them you want a check for 1250 then or something else you can use as collateral)... I'd mention that when you get your rug you will be more than happy to give them back... Document what you can in case you have to escalate further (when you talked to him, what he said, what numbers you called him from, any paperwork you have, etc)....

Post his name and number on here, and we will all call the POS and tell him that if he wants any business at all, he should make it right with you. Still don't get how people can be so crooked. I have too much faith in humanity I guess. Wish people could be taken on their word.

Sounds very similar to a situation I currently am in. I killed a bear in 2007 and took it in to a taxidermist, but lucky for me I only put up $200.00 for the deposit.

I have killed two more bear since that time and received them back from another taxidermist that I am very happy with.

My 2007 bear has not been seen and I get the same type story when I go to the shop and talk face to face. May of this year will be three years. Funny how he always has excuses. EVEN FUNNIER HE HAS HIS FATHER WORKING WITH HIM IN HIS TAXIDERMY SHOP ALSO. COULD IT BE??? SEND ME A PM!!!

I will stop by the shop and see what the next excuse is or maybe get a bear in hand. As for now we will see where this post go's and hope for the best for both of us.

At the current time I will highly recomend Paul Penny & D-extreme taxidermy with first hand experience. They are fast, excellant and TRUSTWORTHY!!!!

rmanwill, pm sent!

Thanks for the responses guys, I am going to call and leave one last massage for him stating that if he doesnt contact me and give me a firm date I am going to get assistance in getting my belongings.

The good news is that I have the origional recipt for the Bino's with the Serial number, as well as the paper he filled out listing them as trade and the due date of the bear.

I will keep you posted on how it goes, i am going to give him one last chance to make it right than his name and info will come out here, and he is a sponsored taxidermist on this site!

You might be better off to keep his name to yourself for now. That is one of the few cards you hold in this mess. If you badmouth him publicly by name, then he will have no incentive to work with you to make this right. Just my thoughts.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-10 AT 02:02PM (MST)[p]Those Swarovski's are worth enough to make it a felony. I'd send a registered letter giving him 72 hours to produce the bear and/or return the binos. If he doesn't, contact the local PD and Fish & Game and hammer his @$$!

If that doesn't work, I'd post his info on every website possible and do my best to put him out of business!

Any chance this guy is located in American Fork, Utah?

Your crazy to give him another minute, I would get Law Enforcment involved ASAP. Take special note also at pictures of the bear you get (if you end up getting it) vs. the one you shot, guys like this, in a moment of panic, will go to some sad extremes.

Hopefully he didnt lose it, sell it, or worse.

And please when its all said and done, let people know who this guy is.......I am really not one for "internet lynching" but guys like this need to be named so others dont end up in the same boat as you, just be sure you state only FACTS.

Good luck man, I hope you end up getting what is rightfully yours. In my experience with stuff like this its usually bad news, especially when your getting ignored and lied to.

Ignore the advice suggesting trial by internet. It rarely works, or produces the results you expect / hope.

If you have all the facts on your side, as you claim, take the appropriate legal steps to retrieve your property. You can try DWR or even small claims court. There are other legal remedies as well. Any internet "outing" will only undermine your case. Work through the proper channels. Once you have gotten your settlement, THEN post the outcome. Warning others about an unscrupulous business, with the facts of your settlement, is far different than an internet lynching.

Internet lynchings are often the cowards approach, when the facts aren't nearly as damning as they are made out to be.

Bill

Thanks for all the advice, I am not going to post him on here just yet because its time to get the law involved and like stated above I have all the legal cards and dont want to jeapordise that. I will keep you all posted, I am not the only one on this site who is dealing with this POS, just the only one so far out a $1250 pair of optics!

You are doing the right thing. Do not internet lynch him. NOT YET. Go through the proper channels and try to handle this correctly. If you cannot collect your winnings after small claims then the gloves come off. I've seen internet lynching destroy a taxidermist bussiness in the past and it was well deserved. And it sounds like this guy deserves it too. Goodluck, fatrooster.

A buddy of mine is having an issue with the same azzhat and I think he's about to the point of calling in the cavalry, and he ain't a guy you want to piss off!

I ran into a simular problem. I dropped a turkey off at my local taxidermist and payed up front (my fault). He told me it would be about a year. After a year and a half I started calling. He said he had moved his shop and was behind. Kept calling and only got excuses. Its been 8 years now without hearing from him. I badmouth his business alot and discourage people from using him. But Ill never get my $450- back.

No use in calling the police because it is a civil issue. The police will quickly brush you off and tell you to take him to court. I agree with the posts above, don't slam him publicly yet. Use public humiliation as a last resort and be prepared to kiss your stuff good bye.

I disagree with the posts saying you will not be able to collect if you get a judgment. It is easier than you think. You can levy on his bank account or even better, you can actually take the sheriff to his place and pilfer through his stuff until you take enough of his stuff worth enough to satisfy the judgment.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom