What trail camera do you like the best?

dillon

Very Active Member
I am in the market for a few trail cameras this year and I was wondering which ones to look into more, and which to avoid based on your experiences with them. I am not looking to spend much over $100 each.

Any advice would be great.

Dillon

I like the small bushnell cams. I think they are more like 150-200 dollars but I like them. I have a leaf river that I like but not as much and it does not take as good of pictures and I paid alot more for the leaf river.

The cheaper the better,IMO.That way when they get stolen,you're not out as much money.You don't really need magazine quality pics to see what's out there.

I don't really care which brand because i get them for free. You wouldn't believe how many I have founds over the years that people have just left tied around trees in the middle of nowhere.

kidding aside i have heard great things about the bushnells.

The camera isent whats imporantant.Any one will do.
What you need to be trying to figure out is which one will fit in a steel box you might have laying around so you can lock it to tree.

Got it. Get a Bushnell if I want high quality pictures. Other than that I just need to lock it to a tree in the middle of nowhere, where only I can find it.

Thanks,

Dillon

Whiskyman ..:.....your a sack of feces.
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

cuddeback capture. you can get them brand new on ebay for $100
))))--------------->
Bowhunting

Follow my blog at: nvbowhunting.blogspot.com

Cost wise I use the Wildview Xtreme Series. They are only 2.0 megapixels but I paid only $50.00 for each. They have metal locking brackets with a locking cable on their website for $15.00 each. I have used these cameras for the past four years and get good enough quality photo's to identify animals in the area with dates and time.

Here are a couple examples:

6384upr_elk_wallows_2010_032.jpg

4206upr_elk_wallows_2010_015.jpg

Sportsman warehouse has this Tasco 5 mp w/night vision for 79.99. I have the bushnells and have liked them. Someone told me that the tasco is the same as the bushnel ? Made by the same company ? Has anyone tried the Tasco ? I was just thinking the cheeper the better,with all of these camera walking off these days.

i had 2 of the bushnell tree cams and i wasnt impressed and they are pretty pricey. even on the lowest sensitivity i would have 500+ pics in 24 hours. it would just catch the smallest weed blowing in the wind. buy a hunten trail cam or wild game inovations

I've done a lot of research on trail cameras the last few months and I personally would steer clear of bushnell. Even knowing what I know, I still broke down and bought a bushnell off of camo fire a month ago. It never worked from day one. Expensive lesson to learn!

My recommendation is spypoint.

The three brand cameras I use are 10 Stealth Cams Rogue IR , 4 Reconyx , and 8 Bushnell's. All 8 of my Bushnells work great , and battery life is awesome lasting up too 9 months , depending on the # of pics taken . I get very few flaw pics or worthless pics out of these , its how you set them up . Stealth Cams take superb pics , even better than Bushnells , battery life sucks . Reconyx is the Best imo. Battery life is second to bushnell . Pics and video are great . worth the money , just get lock boxs on all cams now days .

We don't have any problems with the 6 Bushnell's we have out on the mountain either. The camera's take amazing pictures and most the camera's went close to 2 seasons before we replaced any batteries. In a week on a hot watering hole we'll average 1200 pics, but that really all depends on the settings used. I have no reason to switch to a different one right now.

>The three brand cameras I use
>are 10 Stealth Cams Rogue
>IR , 4 Reconyx ,
>and 8 Bushnell's. All 8
>of my Bushnells work great
>, and battery life is
>awesome lasting up too 9
>months , depending on the
># of pics taken .
>I get very few flaw
>pics or worthless pics out
>of these , its how
>you set them up .
>Stealth Cams take superb pics
>, even better than Bushnells
>, battery life sucks .
>Reconyx is the Best imo.
>Battery life is second to
>bushnell . Pics and video
>are great . worth the
>money , just get lock
>boxs on all cams now
>days .

how should i be setting them up then?

What do you guys recomend for a game camera with a fast trigger time? My Moultree takes good pictures but has a very slow trigger time & I am missing a lot of pics.

Interesting trigger speed test. Too bad they didn't include Cuddeback.
BTW, 1.5 seconds is a HUGE amount of time, if you're set up on a trail.

Ya I guess if you have your camera perpendicular to the trail and close you'd run into a problem with 1.5 seconds. I've never set cameras on trails like that. I like to catch them coming or going, which will easily be enough time for a couple pictures, trigger speed doesn't come into play.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-11 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]+1 mudrunner ,That is the right way to set up your camera

moultrie would be your best bet at that price. spend 50$ more and get something decent.

The best resource I have found is at. . . .
http://www.chasingame.com/

They do anual reviews of all the major camera's. They are fairly scientific and appear to be very objective.
They even exposed the rather awful programing glitch in the first generation Bushnell's.

Good Luck.

Hey man, look at the DLC Covert cameras. I used them last year on my elk hunt and was way impressed. I have used others and I like them the best.

I use the bushnell trophy cams and love them! But if you are wanting a camera that takes awesome pictures and does video with sound, then I would recommend spypoint! I just picked one up and they are amazing! The 12 mp camera is insane, and they are the same size as my trophy cams and run off of the same batteries.

Randall Limb
Limb Creek Outdoors
www.limbcreek.com
www.facebook.com/limbcreekoutdoors

Ive seen many of trailcams as I've hunted over the years and have had respect to just leave them alone. Hopefully people have done the same for mine. Its the hippies and anti hunters we need to worry about. Common respect goes a long way.

Maybe a guy could make a little money building a game camera that contains a dye packet similar to what banks use, so when somebody tampers with another guys camera without entering a security code, boom. You might occasionally dye the face of a rambunctious bear once in a while, or ruin the wife?s living room furniture while trying to figure out how to program them, but it would sure be worth it when you got the right target.

Or maybe a camera that leaves a little 20' smoking crater in the ground where the tree, the camera and the camera thief once stood seconds before. It would make a little bigger BOOM, but if strategically placed near a trickle, the next year you'd have one dandy wallow to set up with a camera.

If any of you decide to go with any of these ideas, you better stick with the first one. The second idea wouldn't be as forgiving to the bear or your living room plus, its a little tough shooting the bow with all your fingers missing.

Do the flash type spook the elk off after the first shot compared to IR? I bought a couple of used ones from a guy and in the deal there were some flash type.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom