what unit for elk

J

Jackjr

What unit would you try to get drawn for with 6 points for elk? I am a non-resident. Tired of building points and want to hunt. Just thought I would see what you would do.

Archery or rifle? go Ochoco with bow for rocky mountain. Saddle mountain or Tioga for Roosevelt's with rifle.

With six preference points, he could do alot better than that!!!
Ochoco archery only takes ONE point to draw for archery. And the Tioga and Saddle Mountain rifle hunts don't take any points to draw.

To get the most out of your points, your choices are:
226R Powers (archery Roosevelt)
237X Ochoco #1
237Y Ochoco #2
246X Murderers Creek
247C East Northside
259Y Snake River #2

You are ONE point away from a 252A1 Starkey #1 or a 246A West Murderers Creek tag.

For ARCHERY, I would buy an OTC tag and hunt east, west, and south of the Strawberries.

Keep building points. Oregon hunting sucks. Maybe someday ODFW will pull their heads out and if they do, you'll have some points to hunt.
There isn't a tag you can draw short of Weneha or WW that is any better than the area I described above and it won't cost you any points.

I wouldn't rifle hunt in OR. if you bought my gas to get to camp, and I live here.

Thanks for the info. I have hunted spring bears in the wenaha and there is some huge bulls, but like you said will never catch up with the point system. Waiting for one more point for those two units worth it??? This will be rifle hunt. thanks again.

Out of stater can get a tag for Wenaha archery. The state allows one tag to the local outfitter. You will need to pay the outfitter his fees, but I bet on a 350plus bull!

I sucks living in Oregon and I can't get the tags. I have to wait 14yrs plus to get one of the 20 tags...

muleyman

what outfitter gets the tag? or does it change everyear? I have hunted with outback outfitters for spring bear and jon is a good guied as long as you can keep up with him.

There is only one outfitter that guides in that unit, because of the tag numbers. I will get the name tommorrow and send you a PM...

muleyman

I am sure it must be Jon from outback outfitters. I think he is the only one that can guied in the wenaha wilderness. but I could be wrong.

>No last I heard the guide
>charged $4500 plus tags.
>Not toooo schaby! Archery,
>not rifle
>
>muleyman

I'd buy that oppotunity in a heartbeat. Three years ago just the tag sold for 5K.

As for a reccomendation for a rifle hunt in oregon. None in your point range. I'd hold out for Mt Emily or Powers although that unit redefines the term Hell hole. As for the reccomended units (tioga, saddle mountain, ochocco) I think I'd rather be sodmized in prison than rifle hunt any of those options. I went as a ride along on a tioga hunt this year (i bow hunt that unit) and it was absolutely a joke. I saw a car wreck on one of the gravel roads, 10 million rigs it seemed and only found elk in the reprod. Which made them unhuntable basically.

For Tioga you have to get in the reprod with the elk. It is tough and wet, but you can get on them. The major problem is all the nuts driving around in their rigs. We stopped hunting it for that reason.

Not to steal the post but what about the Snake? SE Desert unit??

I've got 7 PP and gonna do pointsaver this year because of other hunts but looking at 09.

Back
Top Bottom