What would the rite thing be to do

RE: What would the right thing be to do

WOW - and to think I was beginning to miss hunting in Utah.

This is worse than fighting over a parking space.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

What would the right thing be to do:

To all let bygones be bygones.

I wouldn't want to be in this situation regardless of which side I was on. The first few days the posts had a guys face in the photo and I thought, you know, if that were me I would come unglued.

Let bygones be bygones. Chit happens.

This Post has NEVER had his picture in it EVER I took it out before I posted it....

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard Utah

I may not have seen a face in the photos . . . Maybe I just thought I did - or put a face on the frame. . . .

No harm just wanted to set it clear that I never posted his picture on this Post ....

P.S I agree if I would have posted it here under these conditions, They would have every reason to be pissed off but I didnt and up untell now no one knew who they where....

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard Utah

If they had followed it "2" miles and was catching up to it, I believe it would of been recovered by the 1st shooter,They was travelling pretty good to do 2 miles in just over a hour following a blood trail.That has to be a pretty good blood trail IMO.The crap about it wasn't a killing shot really don't wash,If it was losing that much blood,That you could follow the trail at a good pace.Sorry I just don't think the truth was being told,The right and wrong of it could be a beleif in they thought it was right thing to do, or it could be the BIG BUCK holy crap he the biggest thing I have see or shoot thing I'm sure the hunters involved would both like this thing to be over and done with But if you feel you got the shaft because of a half-truth that is a different thing all together. Is their a right and wrong here,I just don't know, most hunters have been raised by other hunters and NOT ALL of them hunt the same or follow the same first blood rule some are who hit it last or killing shot. I do know that I hope I was MAN or WOMAN enough to step back and say here you go,
Or it could been a Bobcat party.

I do believe the video will help tell the tale where the bullet entered and where it exited, Since their is two tales to where and how that happen I think the video will clear that part up, NOW it one party ( story) is up held by the video it WILL shine a light on how much truth was being told or not told by the second party. That's my 2 cents worth.
Now if the video shows the 1st shooter to be right will they give up the buck. This is where I believe they are good hunters comes in, I'm sure if the video shows that this buck was only wounded slightly by the wife of UThunting They will say it your 110% good job.
so lets see what the video shows.

I'm getting into this late. The buck should have went to the first shooter if hit hard, not flesh wounded.
But the reason I jumped in is to say that there is times when the first shooter could give the deer up. Speaking from past experience, I did. Shot at and hit through the lungs a dandy 2b buck about the year 1985. The buck ran over a slight hill and boom. A young man about my age with a son of about ten years of age had put the buck down for good. As I walked up to them the son said "dad your first buck! And he's huge" What the hell! How could I take that buck. No way. Lifes too short to ruin something like that. I congradulated them and walked on. Still to this day I know I did the right thing.

Ransom

Gator

Great post but I want to make things CLEAR we never asked for the deer and with all of the controversy we would not want it under ANY reason..... Also this post was made to find out what everyone would have done I did not paint any pictures to make anyone go one way or the other sorry that heath feels that way..

As for the Video I will get it posted ASAP I can not post it from this computer sorry

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard Utah

Guys & Gals

It's been nice to get everyone?s opinion. The topic is obviously a touchy one, and we can all relate in some fashion or another. Just remember, every situation is a little bit different and we all have to make that call of ?what the right thing to do is?, when it happens. Go ahead and post the video, it's pretty cool. The deer is facing to the hunters right, the hunter fires and hits the deer, the deer jumps straight in the air like a fish, then hits the ground. A few seconds pass and the deer is up and going. Looks like a great shot in the video, BUT it just wasn?t good enough?..sorry. I explained the bullets path in an earlier post, so I won't do it again. The chest cavity of the deer was never touched, there was no bone touched at all, and it was under the neck on the front of the shoulder. I don't think you can tell any of that from the video. I know these are the facts, because I am the one that boned out the deer on the mountain, and I am the one that caped the animal. YOU were not present at the time. My opinion is that is was a serious flesh wound. Mortally wounded????? I'm gonna have to say no! If you want to see pictures of the bullets holes, I will gladly post a picture of the salted cape. I just need to find a digital camera, since I lost custody of it in the divorce. She said I hunted to much. WHATEVER LADY!!!!!

I would appreciate, however, a little more honesty on your part. Your wife was not 100 yards from the deer, and you guys weren't even on the blood trail. You were hiking the rim of the canyon, trying to locate the deer. I have NO DOUBT that you were following the blood trail an hour prior to that, but you weren't when the deer was killed. You and your wife were across the canyon from where the buck was, and I am positive that he had NOT climbed up to the top of that steep sucker. Your wife did say that she saw the deer before Heath shot it, BUT ???she didn't shoot because you had the range finder, and she thought it was too far away?. Dangit! I'm sure the 300 Rem Ultra Mag that she was packing could have reached over and grounded the deer, since it was probably only 300 350 yards from her. One more thing?You seem to be upset that Heath lied to you??? Well I was standing there, and I think you may have misunderstood what he said. He said that the deer he shot had blood in his front leg, but he didn't look like he was hurt. Do you understand what he means by that? Obviously blood = hurt, but he didn't look ?mortally wounded?.

It's unfortunate Clynt, and I wish you guys could have killed the deer on the 1st shot. That is what we always wish for. But?.it doesn't matter now, it's time to move on. You said you don't want the deer back, so I guess we won't be hearing from you.

By the way, your other post about the ?Dream Buck?. That's nice!!! Sorry you didn't kill him. I'm very impressed that you were able to find another monster muley. Good luck to you and your wife.

Peace Out Ya?ll

Why don't you guys just call each other and quit fighting about it over the internet. This reminds me of the Jerry Springer show.

From the sounds of things, I side with 007. That first blood rule is crap. Each case is different and somebody is going to feel cheated no matter what. I've seen this happen before and the two guys split the meat and fliped a coin for the head. Personally, i'd rather have the meat.

Clynt,
To be honest....you are alot better man than me. You did have the picture painted out for you to be the bad guy in my opinion when I first read this post, but now as I come into this controversy....you and your wife are my hero. I would have thrown a full blown fit if it were me. I cannot believe full grown men and supposably sportsmen would claim that they actually watched the video and still felt that it was their buck?????? I mean c'mon ....it's very sad to see that hunting has eveloved to this? It is true that according to law in Utah that the one who puts the animal down has the right to the animal, BUT I sure could never feel good about tagging a buck that someone knocked down first. Congrats to both you and your wife on what true sportmanship is all about, and a lesson learned to those with the buck.........read the majority of the comments boys....YOU were and are wrong in claiming the buck. And every post you add....just proves it more in my opinion.

OK here is where the problam is you was not there when we first went over to your Dad and Brother I swear to you your BROTHER did say he could not tell it was hit (Please sit down with him and ask him he knows what he said) that is the only proablam I have and the only time I said he lied...

As for being on the deer Blood trail My wife was infact on the Blood trail no questions about that she was well inside of 150 yards of the buck and was infact ready to shoot. we explaned that to your dad and brother infact at that point we did not know it was your brother that shot we thought that someone from the other side shot at the deer and we told your Brother. That is when your Brother said he had shot a buck and it did not look wounded ..

Really I have no problam with you saying that the shot was not good I watched the Video probably 30 or more times last night and you could be 100% right I can not tell but it looks like it could have hit in eather spot but it did NOT brake any bones and was all meat damage I thought it had went behind the right leg threw the pocket between the leg and chest cavity out the front brisket ..

I have never said it was a GOOD shot the angle was to Bad for a Really Good shot and infact stated in another post that your Brothers shot was a perfact kill shot and that the buck fell on the spot.

Here Is the facts

My Wife did not make a quick clean fast kill shot

My Wife was very much on the BLOOD trail

My Wife was infact on the Buck and was ready to shoot
(She did say she was 300 to 350 yrds away when she jumped him out of his bed and she did not want to take a shot as she did not no the range for sure that was before your brother ever seen the buck )

Your Brother did say at first he could not tell the buck was wounded when he shot it .

Your father is the one that said he told your brother to shoot the wounded buck

I did say that I did not want to fight it out over the buck when we was all at the kill site(and I still do not )
I tried to tell your brother it was a tricky deal praying he would se my wifes point

This Buck did not go 2 miles

We did leave on good terms but I know that you could tell that I was a little upset and my wife was Broken hearted over the deal

The last words to you, your brother and dad was well *I can see I am not talking you out of that deer and I did not want to fight about it*

Here are some more facts

I posted this to know what others would do in this case there is no writen laws

Your Brother had every right to keep the buck or give it up (I even said in one of the post I would have a really hard time giving this buck up if it was me)

I have every right to be upset about this not in just the fact that your brother did not give up the deer but also because my wife did not make a clean kill shot (I even posted *I am glad that there is not a dead or dieing deer under some tree in Idaho*)

I have never asked for the deer and have stated that I do not want it!!!

This Post was *What would the rite (RIGHT) thing be to do*
Maybe I should have asked *What would you do*(As Yelum said there was NO right or wrong thing to do)

I never gave out names numbers to anyone involved I felt that would have been the wrong thing to do. If I would have I would not blame you for being pissed all I ever did was state what had happendin this case from eyes view without poiting a finger at you or your family

I would like you to puut yourself in my shoes look at it from are point I think that is not much to ask and I think you can see my points I never said anything like. *we got robbed* *my wife had a deer taken away* *These people where JERKS (by the way why is it you all think I called your family a bunch of "JERKS"?)

I did say that I was not going to sit there and fight with 3 guys with guns that is my BAD but one way or the other I was not going to intentionally make a bad case worse by fighting about that deer

I am sorry that your Bro feels like this buck has been tainted but it would have been tainted for eather hunter. As if my wife would have got it we would always known that your brother shot it dead! But now its tainted for the reaseon that it was wounded before he shot it! There is nothing I or anyone can do about that sorry...

This is why I did not call your Brother. I did not feel like that buck was 100% my wifes there was a jugment call that was made on the hill that day by your Brother and us. that was the facts. I knew that if there was ever a time to make clame to the deer it was then and there..

Why have we not asked for the replica 2 reasons it not the same and it cost money we have photos that good enough

If I was your Brother I would read this Post not all of it just what I have put down I have never said anything that would or should make him or his family feel bad about what they do in life I could tell that your Dad infact is a GREAT person he let me and your Brother talk it out he never goit involved but just stood back and watched his Son do what his Son thought was right
He never staked clame to the deer just told it from what he had seen and then left it up to me and your Bro to work it out

When or IF your Bro reads what I have posted tell him to keep inmind that I might be a little hostile as we just lost out on a TRUE trophy that could have went eather way.

I will say that heath and his Family are very Good People I would have them in are camp any day even after this

Infact I might call heath up when I get back from Colorado and work out any neg feelings if I can

Heath you killed a Great deer dead in his tracks!!! I am sorry we did not do the same. You have every right to make clame it was your choice I dont blame you in making that choice (I pray I never need to make that choice) congrads on a GREAT deer dont feel bad about making a Kiling shot on a GREAT Buck

UThunting'
Clynt L Citte
Willard Utah
801-725-5262

I'm glad to here you stayed on the trail, The other hunter admitted to knowing the buck was wounded so he should have known in the back of his mind that some one could come looking for this buck at any moment. It was also good to here the other hunter did the ethical thing and finish off the wounded buck, but the video evidence, the obvious mortal wound and you showing up shortly there after is proof in my mind that your wife deserved this trophy in the end.

WERE IS THE VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS SEE IT! TOUGH CALL. GREAT BUCK TO BAD IT HAD TO PLAY OUT THIS WAY. IT SHOULD GO TO THE WIFE IN MY VIEW.

BUGLEMN

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-07 AT 12:06PM (MST)[p]Clynt - Your a bigger man than most in being able to realize that there is no right or wrong here. One word for you... Karma! I'm sure there's a bigger buck waiting for you and your wife somewhere and have no doubt you'll find it.

For the other party involved hats off to you as well. this could have been a lot worse and I can understand you defending yourselves.

The bottom line to this post is simply that there are many different interpretaions of whose buck it should be. Some feel strongly that it's the first shooter no matter what. Others think the killing shooter gets the nod. Niether is more right everytime and unless you are in this situation yourself it's hard to say for sure how you would react. Good hunting!

I will post video under another post

As for what the right thing was to do ?

It is like Yelum said its like asking what is the best color out there ?? there is no right or wrong answer

Clynt,

I appreciate your comments and can understand your side of this whole ordeal. Let me just bring this thing to a hopeful CONCLUSION.

This has been one of the hardest things to go through as a hunter. I definately can appreciate your side of this story and agree there was no easy decision for either side. In fact as we walked to the deer, I remember talking to my brother and Dad as to what they thought I should do. We all agreed that we would have to wait until we saw the deer and decide from there. I obviously had no idea your wife was anywhere near this deer when I killed it. If I had known that, I would have shot the other buck which was very similar in size (my dad still insists that the other buck was bigger, but who knows) and we wouldn't be having this conversation. I honestly thought the ethical thing to do was shoot the wounded animal.

I have read the entire Post and agree that you never mention my name and I appreciate that. My frustrations have very little to do with the circumstances surrounding this hunt (we all agree that it was a difficult situation that could have gone both ways). My frustration started when I see this story posted on the most popular mule deer web site I know of, and see comments from people (not you)trashing me and my family (I think one thread referred to us as three jerks with guns) and calling my ethics into question. These people really had no idea of the whole story other than what you had told them (which was very little). I thought there was a better way to handle this conflict rather than on a website forum. I have hunted my entire life and never had a situation like this happen before and hope to never again.

I got upset at you when you insisted I lied to you up front. I honestly remember telling you that the buck I shot looked wounded. Maybe you misunderstood my comments, and that is fine, but I do not like being called a liar and had no reason to lie. The story would not be any different if I knew the buck was wounded or not.

In the end, I hope we can move on with this. You have a great deer hunt in Colorado, and I have a great elk hunt in Idaho coming up. Lets end this thread and pick up with a better story after we have some better stories to relate. Hopefully you can kill a monster muley and I can kill a monster bull and I would love to share those stories.

You have my number, and can feel free to call me anytime if you would like to discuss this further.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how your deer hunt goes.

IMO the lady deserves the deer. She hunted it when it wasn't wounded, made a decent shot, that would have killed the animal and was in the process of tracking the deer. She was still seeing and following the deer when it was shot by another hunter. That's a hell of a wound for that buck to survive. I don't think the other hunter did anything wrong but if I had to pick who should get the deer, the lady was doing all that she could and from the stories, I believe she would have tagged the deer in the end.

I don't really think Clynt did anything wrong either except maybe implying that the three guys posed a threat to him or his wife when they didn't have guns.

Since you both think the deer is tainted, why don't you split the cost of having the mount done. Sell (auction it off, sell it to Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc.) and use the proceeds to pay for two sets of replicas. The names of both hunters should be listed under the mount when displayed.

Sounds to me like neither party is happy nor will they ever be 100% happy no matter what and neither feels that the trophy is "pure" so who cares if you have the real mount or a replica?

Why can't people just do the right thing? My buddy killed a nice deer for another hunter because he knew it was wounded and didn't want the other hunter to lose his buck or have the buck die somewhere without being found. The buck was shot by the first hunter but was still able to get away from the first hunter. Mark shot the buck and waited for the other hunter to catch up. The other hunter was thrilled with HIS buck and was very thankful. Mark had planned to tag the buck if the other hunter had never showed up. DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!

SpotNstalk

First off that sounds like a really good plan.. But I feel that it make things worse.. I know if I was the second shooter and had meet up with the first shooter and came to the conclustion that I was the one to get the buck. (And dont forget this is his Biggest deer to date) I would have a really hard time selling the deer. Infact I would not sell it for any money!!!

kingfish

After looking at the other side of this story I really do not feel like there is a Right way to go or a Wrong way to go about this..

This is how it played out and if I wanted to clame the deer I should have done it at the kill site... But it was really hard for me at the time in probably more ways then there being 3 guys there

1. I had seen quite a few Good to Great deer in this area and figured that we would be blessed with another chance (And we was but it fell threw)

2.I was in front of my crying wife who was upset and I felt like I had my hands tied and really did not know what to do (I was a Wimp)

3. I am standing there looking at a deer that has 2 bullet holes. One is in the Brisket, one is a great chest cavity shot

4 This was Heaths Biggest Buck to date

As for the reason for this post

1. It was kinda eating at me that I did not put up more of a fight over the deer at the time of the kill

2. I really wanted to know what everyone thought

3. I thought I would see more people say that the second shooter should take the deer.. And I could show my wife that I did the right thing (And now that is blown to hell) (But like I had said before I do see Heath and his Family side of this story. And I dont feel like there is anyway to say RIGHT or WRONG)

I have felt like I have kinda woosed out again about this deer. But I really really feel like Heath should be able to keep the deer. And should not have any bad feelings about it..

I will even say that I feel sorry that Heath and is Family took this post wrong!!! (I see why they did though)

Please everyone lets just let Heath know that he shot a great buck and he should be proud of it!!!!!! There was for the LAST TIME NO RIGHT OR WRONG CHOICES to make it was just a DINOMITE STICK LIT AT BOTH ENDS.... No way to keep 2 People 100% happy. I feel like I got what I wanted to say off my chest now.. And Infact I feel a lot better about the hole deal.. I REALLY Thank all of you out there that sided on my side. But this post was not meant to put to Hunters against each other(Thats the last thing this sport needs more of)

Heath once again Sorry and CONGRADS on one of the Bigger deer killed on that Mountain

P.S I am going to post the Video (REALLY) but it has been CRAZY with this post and the fact that I leave in the morning for Colorado (And lets not forget all these dam kids knocking at my door wanting candy)

To all it is time for this post to end.. and really I do thank everyone... Really I hope non of you run into this kind of position..... (It SUCKS)

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard Utah
801-725-5262

The guy that put the buck down on the ground should tag it. If you can't make a good enough shot to put the buck down first off then the guy who does put the buck down should tag it. Unless the it is a dead buck runnin and is going to die any second because of a vital shot then the guy who shot it first should tag it.

GO BIG or GET OFF the Mountain!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom