What would this guy score?

S

Saskman

I was drawn for pronghorn this year and have found this one good goat. Sorry for the crappy photos but he was quite far away and I had to crop a lot. I am far from an expert at scoring and field judging goats so was wondering if a few of you guys here would have an idea of what this guy would go. I would like to see if I am even close on the score and horn length. Whatever it might be he is big enough for me to go after with my bow and muzzleloader.

IMG_4249-50D.jpg

IMG_4244-50D.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-09 AT 05:54PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-09 AT 05:54?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-09 AT 04:49?PM (MST)

That is a stud of a goat! He has some good mass and is pretty tall. Also I love the curl he has. Id say he's a shooter regardless of score. Score id say 79-81. Any other pics of him from the front? Id love to see how he curls!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-09 AT 05:14PM (MST)[p]That is a great buck. From these pics I think he looks 16 inches or better, close to 7 inch bases. and good cutters. My guess is around 83. Too me looks like a shooter for sure.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-09 AT 05:38PM (MST)[p]That is a really, really nice buck. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's 16" long, and close to 84". Hard to judge the mass well, so he could be a little lighter. Hopefully Eli will get on here and give you an accurate estimate.

hmm he doesnt have a ton of mass. yes he has it but not tons. he's about 16 tall cutters maybe around 5 or 6 atmost. i'm guessing arond 80 to 82.

It is good to see I am not too far off. I was figureing between 80-83. 80 inch goats are rare here in Saskatchewan (I think our provincial record is 88 4/8) so I hope I can find him once the season starts. I have been out 3 more times looking for him and can't find him again. I do have a couple poor front shots but not on the computer right now.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-09 AT 11:26PM (MST)[p]I don't see the pictures. Just red Xs. Not that I'm gonna guess a score for you but would like to see the buck.

I see him now and all I can say is "Shoot". That's a beauty.

Just quick pull the trigger and add up the numbers later!!!!

I'm no expert, but would guess him at 79-81

Saskman,

Two years ago I killed a officially scored 80 5/8 goat. Based on those measurements and comparing him to your goat, I would say 82-84. Your goat looks to have about the same mass and length, but your goat has better cutters. I would be very surprised if that goat would not score B&C all-time of 82 minimum. JMO. I would never pass that goat any where! Good luck!

Saskman,

I looked at your goat again and I am sure you would be pleasantly surprised in how big he is! I disagree with the guy who said his mass isnt all that much? I think he has every bit as much as mine and probably more. Mine is pretty good on the mass. His cutters beats mine by 2" each. Mine is 16" and this one is that long. I think he is 84-85? I would sure like to hear Eli's guess as well like ColoradoOak mentioned.

82 or 83 I have killed 2 80" goats and one is 15 1/2 but much heavier up top than that one with similar cutters

Am I looking at the same pictures as the rest of you? He has good mass, medium cutters, 15" length at most. There is very little curl on those horns, when they are almost straight up like that they can look longer than they are.

Here is what I estimated (I'm not skeered to look like a fool ;-) )

Length: 16"
Prong: 5-4/8"
Bottom mass: 13-4/8"
Top mass: 7"
Total: 84"

I think he's a little better than some of you are guessing, but I could be wrong.

Big Mass is dead on. He doesn't curl on his tips which always make the horns look longer. I'd put him at 15" tall and score him at 80. Nice buck. He might grow a little bit longer by the time hunting season rolls around.

My buck is 16 1/8 and 16 0/8. Mine has less curl than this guy. I think he is every bit of 16" personally. You guys that are guessing him smaller, I agree with ColoradoOak and 84", may very well be right? Antelope are hard to judge and I always enjoy hearing people's opinions. I am just comparing him to one I know the score of. I hope Saskman gets him so we can all get an education! Good luck Saskman!

Where is Eli? He has corrected me a time or two!;-)

That buck is a hog. If he is a Canadian buck, his body size will be far above what you see in NM and AZ. And, his head is big.

I think he is at, or very close to 16". Great prongs, with 7" bases.

I would score him this way.

Length - 16"
Base - 6 7/8"
C1 - 7 3/8"
C2 - 3 2/8
C3 - 2/ 2/8
Prong - 6 2/8

I guess that would put him at 84"

Just a guess. Massive bucks like this one look shorter than they really are. And, with a head the size of that one, comparing his head size to horn length makes me think he is taller than most have stated here.

My bet would be that even after 60 days of shrinking, he will net over 82".

Hope you shoot him and can tell us what the final tally is.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

BigFin,

If I saw that buck in Catron County I would pound him so hard and fast heads would be spinning! He is a big goat in my eyes!

I'm on the fence. i think he will go 80 from what i can see, the 1st pic shows good upper, but the 2nd pic kinda takes it away? i cant give him 6 inch prongs from that angle either, he may very well have them, but a side shot would confirm it.it looks like they curl in, and that can add up but almost has to be viewed live to judge.

hell, i look them over for a half hour at 100 yards at 60x and still aint sure, so take that fwiw. go shoot him!

The buck has super mass on the bottom and decent mass up top. I have a feeling his prongs are longer than a lot of you guys are giving him credit for since his bases are so massive. I am going to guess he should go over 83. I have a feeling BigFin and ColoOak are pretty darn close with their measurements.

Wow, lots of action since I last checked. So far everyone agrees he is over 80 which is what I like to hear. I am just going to have to get him to see what he actually is. Wasn't able to find him again all week. I will be out there until I do. Need to go find a big muley as well though.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-09 AT 09:47PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-09 AT 09:45?PM (MST)

I have no experience with bucks north of the border, but if that buck was in New Mexico or Arizona (and with only the provided photos) I would say that it would score 87-88 (being in an area where not a lot of giant bucks are produced I'd have to say it would probably be smaller(ColoradoOak might be pretty close)):

L 16
P 6
B 14 2
T 7 2

Let us know what he scores when you pound him Saskman? Good luck!

I still think that is a great goat and to pass him any where would be a big mistake!

4a6da4160a636583.jpg

He's a great buck and I would think he would score equally if not a bit higher than the buck with this post. It's a buck a hunting partner of mine took in Wyoming about 12 or so years ago. This buck ended up 85 and some change. I know its not a great photo but it was a great buck and I think your bucks is every bit as good. Take him if you get the chance.

Have a good one. BB

Looking at both pictures. Mass above and below prong, prongs, length, size of goat and ears. I would guess 85 to 87. It's a shooter. Ask what ave ear length is for goats in that area. That can help as well. Good luck

BB,

Your friend's goat is very nice! Based on the two photos I give the alive one more inches. He is a little longer with little better prongs? Either way Saskman's is an exceptional goat as is your friends.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom