What would you do?

huntazido

If you could only afford to build points and play the application game in 3 states, besides your home state, what would they be? I'm looking at western states only for mule deer, elk, and antelope.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-09 AT 03:36PM (MST)[p]Colorado and Wyoming for mule deer; Arizona, Wyoming and New Mexico for elk; and Wyoming and New Mexico for antelope.

If you can float the upfont tag fees and do not mind buying hunting licenses you have more options....

NM...no point system so you have same odds as me if we put in for same hunt.

WY...point system for non-resident elk, deer, and pronghorn began recently so you will draw a great pronghorn hunt every 2-4 years, a good deer hunt every 3-5 years and a great elk hunt every 7-10 years.

NV...you have a chance but not many non-resident tags.

Avoid....

AZ as a non-resident...you most likely will never see a primo tag as the Point train pulled out of the station long ago and the number of quality tags is not enough to churn the waiting pool of elk/deer/pronghorn applicants that 100% fill the non-resident quota prior to any random primo tags being possible.

CO is similar to AZ if you are a non-resident. The primo elk/deer/pronghorn tags are locked up by max point holders and CO cut the % non-residents can get. You can draw a tag in CO with less than a decade of points...but not a primo tag. You might shoot a big mule deer in any unit in CO though so some hope for mule deer but trophy elk and pronghorn are few and far between in even the best units.

You might sit out the Western draws, save the money you would have spent on non-recoverable fees/licences and buy a NM landowner pronghorn tag or CO landowner tag every few years. You can draw a nice NM elk tag most years if do the guide-sponsored segment of the draw but obviously not of interest if do not wnat to use a guide.

Good luck.

Colorado, wyoming, Neveda

Just apply in new mexico also.

Difficulty is finding a place to hunt each year if there is no tag drawn in your efforts. I guess that is the place the home state comes into play.

Utah: they opened up all species for non-res. this year for application.

Wyoming: with only 3 years worth of point holder it might not be too late to jump on the bandwagon.

New Mexico: no point system, generous (relatively speaking) tag alotment to non-res.

I was hoping to get more insight from others who play the application game more/better than myself. I have been applying for points only deer, elk, and antelope in Nevada (3years), wyoming 3years. I have applied in New mexico for archery elk and archery antelope only and have yet to draw anyting. the only thing I would even consider hunting with a rifle is Mule deer or Coues deer.

I would like to apply for mule deer in Utah and Colorado but I don't even know where to begin to apply. Colorado has prefernce points and that train has left me way behind. I hear so many confusing tales about Utah that it leaves me...... well.....confused. Does someone just starting to apply have a reasonable chance of drawing a good tag over the next 5-7 years or am I looking at much longer?

My goal is to one day hunt for trophy muledeer and to hunt antelope with a reasonable chance at getting an 82" buck. As far as elk hunting goes I just like to hunt areas with very good numbers and lots of rutting action. Throw an occasional 300-320 bull in to make it interesting and I'm happy.

Mix in Idaho for mule deer. No points as you know but good odds. Eventually you will get a tag.

I think you're on the right track. You mentioned archery and that really ups your odds for Nevada deer. You're already buying the Nv license so apply for all 3 sheep species too.

You'll start drawing tags with your plan real soon, probably Wy first.

Your goals for elk minus the 300-320 bulls can be met in Colorado with 1-2 points archery. Rut action, lots of bulls, etc.

Utah is cheap up front, $65.00 license and $10.00 per species. Lots of points to guarentee a great tag but you can hit the lottery any time. For another $100.00 a year, before you know it you'll be getting dangerous for a good elk, not great elk unit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom