What's the best A/T tire?

Gadjet

Back in the 80s and 90s I ran BFG All Terrains and loved them. Michelin bought Good Year and decided to change what IMO was the best all terrain made, and IMO they F'd up a great thing. So these days I've had some pretty good luck with Goodyear Duratracs. I've had 3 sets on 2 different 3/4 to pickups and love them. Well, then I put a set on my wifes 4Runner and they have worn bad, ride bad, and are loud. The one difference is that hers are the only set that came from Discount tire. I've heard that the big chain tire stores sometimes carry a lesser grade tire than some of the smaller shops. Anyone know if this is true?

It depends on if you really are using them for All terrain or if they are going on a Pavement Princess for looks.

What I look for is a tire that I don't get flats and has good traction, which means tread that isn't rock hard. How many miles I get on them isn't a very big factor. If I want a 65,000 mile tire I'm not going to buy an A/T.

That said I have the BFG KO2's on my truck that I use for offroad and hunting. So far, I'm on my 4th set and they have been great.

Goodyear's are TOTAL F'N Trash!

Been Running Michelin's On The Rigs That Don't Need MT's!

The Only Tires I've Been Able To Get Any Mileage Out Of In Recent Years have been the Michelin's!

Goodyear's Will Weather-Check in 3 Months!

And Several Auto Makers Must Be Gettin a Hell of a Deal On JUNK Goodyear Tires!

It depends on if you really are using them for All terrain or if they are going on a Pavement Princess for looks.

What I look for is a tire that I don't get flats and has good traction, which means tread that isn't rock hard. How many miles I get on them isn't a very big factor. If I want a 65,000 mile tire I'm not going to buy an A/T.

That said I have the BFG KO2's on my truck that I use for offroad and hunting. So far, I'm on my 4th set and they have been great.
No pavement princess here! Her vehicle is used for getting in and out of our cabin which is rock, mud, snow, and ice. Also winter rated is important because it's our daily commute vehicle on some pretty icey/snowy roads in the winter.
I think the KO2's are one of those deals where you either love them or hate them. I personally have had some really bad experiences with 2 sets in a row.

Goodyear's are TOTAL F'N Trash!

Been Running Michelin's On The Rigs That Don't Need MT's!

The Only Tires I've Been Able To Get Any Mileage Out Of In Recent Years have been the Michelin's!

Goodyear's Will Weather-Check in 3 Months!

And Several Auto Makers Must Be Gettin a Hell of a Deal On JUNK Goodyear Tires!
Does Michelin make an A/T that's worth a pound of puppy ****?

Michelin LTX A/T2​

They Ain't An Aggressive Off-Road Tire!

And They Ain't Cheap!

But I Have Been Getting Decent Mileage out of Them!

Alot Of People Look For CHEAP ASS Tires!

They Can Have Them!

I have been running Coopers for several years. Had to go with Goodrich this time as no Copers avail in size as needed when I needed them. Had real good luck with Coopers.

You Might Sneak A Set Of These In On Ms GADJETS Rig!:D

Just Sayin!

If You're Getting PISS POOR Mileage Out Of The GOODYEARS!

michelin rc4wd.jpg

Michelin LTX A/T2​

They Ain't An Aggressive Off-Road Tire!

And They Ain't Cheap!

But I Have Been Getting Decent Mileage out of Them!

Alot Of People Look For CHEAP ASS Tires!

They Can Have Them!
Just looked them up. Looks like something grandma would have on her Buick! ? ? ?

Now If You're Gonna Man-Up On Your Huntin Rig This Is What I Run:

BUCKSHOT MUDDERS!

Install One Size Longer Studs Than Recommended & You've Got You A Set Of Huntin Tires!

buckshot mudder.jpg

Vote for Cooper STT pro if you will use them hunting and roads. ST Maxx also for a great hybrid I have not ran them personally however.

I wore out 4 sets of BFG ATs years ago with a total of 1 flat tire that I got in the middle of town from a steel rod through the sidewall. Then I got cheap and couldn't afford them. Found some Pirelli Scorpion ATs on sale this last time. I like them a lot.

71q9wOGoFYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Another Thing That's Real Agitating Is Tread Depth on alot of New tires!

Take ktg's Fairly Spendy Pirelli's!

Less Than an 1/2" Of Tread Brand New!

Around 4/10's of an inch!

There's One Way To Sell More Tires!

Well At Least Two!

Make Them With Hardly Any Tread Depth Brand New!

And Make Em So They'll Wear Out Fast!

CHEATIN BASTARDS!

Another Thing That's Real Agitating Is Tread Depth on alot of New tires!

Take ktg's Fairly Spendy Pirelli's!

Less Than an 1/2" Of Tread Brand New!

Around 4/10's of an inch!

There's One Way To Sell More Tires!

Well At Least Two!

Make Them With Hardly Any Tread Depth Brand New!

And Make Em So They'll Wear Out Fast!

CHEATIN BASTARDS!
That’s the first thing I noticed when I saw the above photo.

LMAO!

Yup!

One Of The Best Mud Tires Ever!

You Could Get Em Tall & Narrow!

I Had A Set Once That Said Both GRIP SPUR & BUCKSHOT on The Tires!

Not An Ice Tire That's For Sure!:D

Funny, I had you pictured as a Co-op grip spur kinda guy…remember those? Not worth a damn on the ice but they sure loved moving mud!

Back Many Years ago I Ran Quite A Few BIG O XT's!

Later They Changed Them To MT's!

Studded Them As Well!

If They Ain't Stud-able They Ain't an Off-Road Tire!

I got a set of Cooper Rugged Trek last fall and they been great. Right off the bat spent a week driving backroads and trails in Carbon County Wy and I've been sold on them ever since. Right at 30,000 miles now with zero flats and still decent tread left. Much more aggressive tire than the typical a/t but a lot better on highway than a real mudder.
Beginning to get a little loud now but I plan on running them another 10 or 12K before changing them out.

Anybody Old Enough To Remember When a 7.50 X 16 Was The Thing?
Well let’s just go way back. Who remembers anyone that was serious about mudding running the old military tires? At least that’s how it was in the south, which is where I’m from.

I've used lots of tires on lots of vehicles over the years and have found the GY Duratracs to be the best compromise between street and offroad on my diesel trucks. They're all I have been running for years.

I've used lots of tires on lots of vehicles over the years and have found the GY Duratracs to be the best compromise between street and offroad on my diesel trucks. They're all I have been running for years.
I would agree! I have them on a Cummins 3/4 ton and a gas 3/4 ton and love them. The funny thing about it is that I was so impressed with them that I threw a set on my wife’s 4Runner and my daughter’s Jeep Grand Cherokee. They have been terrible on both of those vehicles.

The problem with duratracs are the two ply sidewall. I want all my tires to have three ply sidewall. You pay for it in weight and a hit on your mileage however. Beside the Cooper STT Pro, last year I ran the Yokohama G003 in a 37 12.50 17. They did over 8k miles between three trips and five weeks of abuse not one issue. I would guess 1500 or so miles were on bad roads and some deep snow in MT in Nov. They did great.

The problem with duratracs are the two ply sidewall. I want all my tires to have three ply sidewall. You pay for it in weight and a hit on your mileage however. Beside the Cooper STT Pro, last year I ran the Yokohama G003 in a 37 12.50 17. They did over 8k miles between three trips and five weeks of abuse not one issue. I would guess 1500 or so miles were on bad roads and some deep snow in MT in Nov. They did great.
Are you saying the E rated Duratracs are 2 ply? I have ran my duratracs on my ram 2500 with a 1800 lb camper towing a 6k lb trailer over hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel roads in all the western states and have never had a flat.

Are you saying the E rated Duratracs are 2 ply? I have ran my duratracs on my ram 2500 with a 1800 lb camper towing a 6k lb trailer over hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel roads in all the western states and have never had a flat.
E Rated tread is 10 ply. The sidewall is 2 ply. Get in sharp rocky ruts they will slice the sidewalls. Stay on roads where just the face of the tire is on the ground your fine. Two tracks is where the problems happen.

Had a set of Q78 Buckshots on a K5 Blazer.
Those things were amazing off road.
Course, I learned how to replace U-joints around
that time too.

That one has my interest. Do they seem to balance out well?
Haven't had any problems with balance. I run that set and a set on my cummins and have zero issues. I would be running another set on my tacoma but the size I needed was on a national backorder at the time.

You Might As Well Get a 1/2 Ton If That's All You're Hauling & Towing!:D

RAZZIN Ya!

A 10 PLY with a 2 Ply sidewall!

Keep Supporting Goodyear!

One Of The Worst Tire Manufacturers anywhere!

They Can't Even Build a Decent NASCAR Tire!

I had Toto M-55's on my last truck. I got 60,000 miles out of them. They are the same as what logging trucks have on many rigs. They can spit gravel and rock all day long and the tread depth is great. I would buy them again.

I had Toto M-55's on my last truck. I got 60,000 miles out of them. They are the same as what logging trucks have on many rigs. They can spit gravel and rock all day long and the tread depth is great. I would buy them again.
DM, were you running those M55’s under a diesel? Diesel’s are hell on tires and I’ve looked at those because they’re one of only two AT’s that are made in the size I like (255/85r16) with Copper ST MAXX being the other. I’ve ran two sets of the Coopers now and they’re not much left of them at 30k. The M55 are rated high on mileage but they’re awful spendy and if they wont go much further than the cooper, I don’t want to spend 30% more on them.

DM, were you running those M55’s under a diesel? Diesel’s are hell on tires and I’ve looked at those because they’re one of only two AT’s that are made in the size I like (255/85r16) with Copper ST MAXX being the other. I’ve ran two sets of the Coopers now and they’re not much left of them at 30k. The M55 are rated high on mileage but they’re awful spendy and if they wont go much further than the cooper, I don’t want to spend 30% more on them.
I was running them on a 97 3/4 T Power Stroke , so yes. I don't know how they are on other trucks. I paid 1500.00 for them. I go on some roads that are as bad as roads can get, to backpack or unload the ATVs for a ride, and to pull my trailer to camp. I have a gasser now with Wild Country tires that I wouldn't buy, but they were already with the truck.

E Rated tread is 10 ply. The sidewall is 2 ply. Get in sharp rocky ruts they will slice the sidewalls. Stay on roads where just the face of the tire is on the ground your fine. Two tracks is where the problems happen.
That is why I like the Cooper ST Maxx's. They have a kevlar reinforced sidewall. I've put them through some abuse and never sliced a sidewall yet. I'm sure it may happen but hasn't yet.

They wear well for a 10-ply E-rated tire for me as well. I'm on my 4th set at 167,000 miles and will put another set on this Fall. That is over 40k miles per set.

Back in the 80s and 90s I ran BFG All Terrains and loved them. Michelin bought Good Year and decided to change what IMO was the best all terrain made, and IMO they F'd up a great thing. So these days I've had some pretty good luck with Goodyear Duratracs. I've had 3 sets on 2 different 3/4 to pickups and love them. Well, then I put a set on my wifes 4Runner and they have worn bad, ride bad, and are loud. The one difference is that hers are the only set that came from Discount tire. I've heard that the big chain tire stores sometimes carry a lesser grade tire than some of the smaller shops. Anyone know if this is true

Michelin - France​

Worlds number one tire manufacturer. Own the brands Michelin, BF Goodrich, Kleber, Uniroyal* and Riken
Theres no way in hell a great tire maker would buy such a Sh$tty Tire Company like Goodyear. when I was young and didn’t know any better I bought about 5 sets over the years they only lasted an average of 35k miles the BFG MT at a minimum 65k more if I take care of them almost 76k but that’s rotating keeping up on air pressure. But when I get lazy still 65k

Back in the 80s and 90s I ran BFG All Terrains and loved them. Michelin bought Good Year and decided to change what IMO was the best all terrain made, and IMO they F'd up a great thing. So these days I've had some pretty good luck with Goodyear Duratracs. I've had 3 sets on 2 different 3/4 to pickups and love them. Well, then I put a set on my wifes 4Runner and they have worn bad, ride bad, and are loud. The one difference is that hers are the only set that came from Discount tire. I've heard that the big chain tire stores sometimes carry a lesser grade tire than some of the smaller shops. Anyone know if this is true?
Check out renooffroad.com

Michelin - France​

Worlds number one tire manufacturer. Own the brands Michelin, BF Goodrich, Kleber, Uniroyal* and Riken
Theres no way in hell a great tire maker would buy such a Sh$tty Tire Company like Goodyear. when I was young and didn’t know any better I bought about 5 sets over the years they only lasted an average of 35k miles the BFG MT at a minimum 65k more if I take care of them almost 76k but that’s rotating keeping up on air pressure. But when I get lazy still 65k
As the spare....a BFG MT won't last 65k miles

As the spare....a BFG MT won't last 65k miles
Again Homer you and your moronic statements never fail to show your ignorance! Good Job! Is there anything you do know something about? Weren’t you a police officer or Detective? Surely you have some great stories from a life time of being an Officer. Please share some of those I guarantee people will love to hear those!

Last edited:
Again Homer you and your moronic statements never fail to show your ignorance! Good Job! Is there anything you do know something about? Weren’t you a police officer or Detective? Surely you have some great stories from a life time of being an Officer. Please share some of those I guarantee people will love to hear those!
I have a great story of a IL State Trooper there was a gentleman that had a gun to his head next to the new 255 interstate that was being built and Sgt Mark Spankle volunteered to disarm the gentleman so he took off his shoes, holster and anything else that would make noise or slow him down. He ran through the rock and gravel as fast as he possibly could and hit the guy from behind causing the man to drop the gun and then he was taken to get help.
I built Mark and his wife’s house in 1989 I think. I’ll try and find that news footage but I looked for it before and never found so if someone can find it even better.
I was so proud of him when he walk into the bar we hang at I told everyone the story and he got a Standing Ovation. That’s a Hero

Last edited:
I have a great story of a IL State Trooper there was a gentleman that had a gun to his head next to the new 255 interstate that was being built and Sgt Mark Spankle volunteered to disarm the gentleman so he took off his shoes, holster and anything else that would make noise or slow him down. He ran through the rock and gravel as fast as he possibly could and hit the guy from behind causing the man to drop the gun and then he was taken to get help.
I built Mark and his wife’s house in 1989 I think. I’ll try and find that news footage but I looked for it before and never found so if someone can find it even better.
I was so proud of him when he walk into the bar we hang at I told everyone the story and he got a Standing Ovation. That’s a Hero
What milage does he get from BFG MT's?

Hey Homer!

I Did Find Some Nice YOKAHAMAS That'd Probably Fit Your Newer Rig:

They Look Like Nice Tires!

I Don't Know If They're KALI Tires Though!:D

And Yes!

19/32" Of Tread Depth!

HELL SAKES!

We're Clear Up to 5/8" of Tread Depth!

F'N Near 500.00 a Piece!

But Hey You Gained a 1/4"!

Just got Looking!

A PISSCUTTER Speed Rating Q!

That Means They're Rated for 1 Mile Per Hour Faster Than A Stock GM Vehicle Will Go!

Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 - 275/65R20​

Yokohama

Last edited:
Lost the ass end of my chev thanks to Cooper. Class action against the 285, for tread separation. I ran 265 from same plant. Never again.

Toyo open country.

Then the cheapest MT I can find for 2 months a year

Quit Being Such a Tight-Ass Hossy!

The Other 10 Months Of The Year You Could Look COOL Running Around DownTown!

Lost the ass end of my chev thanks to Cooper. Class action against the 285, for tread separation. I ran 265 from same plant. Never again.

Toyo open country.

Hey Hossy!

Got A Cooper Tire Story For You!

This Was Alot Of Years ago!

Headed Up Daniels Canyon I Came Up Behind A Hillbilly Rig!

An Old Beat Up Camper Sitting On An Old Beat Up Pick-Up!

Ya!

It Was Rough!

He Had a Blowed Cooper Tire Tied To The Back & A Sign That Said:

I Will Never Buy Another F'N Cooper Tire!

Still Makes Me Laugh!

Toyo open country.

Myself, my dad and my brother have been running these and we really love them. Not bad pricewise either.
1688530234192.png

Just put some BFG HD terrains on my truck. New tire kinda in-between a AT and MT. Little louder on the road but not as bad as a Mudder.

The tire needs to do what I need it to. When I need it to. Highway mileage isn't a concern. mtmuley
Yeah we are talking apples and oranges. I had a set of 17”x40”x16.5 rims Monster Mudders. Those were some mud tires. The only problem was when I got stuck no other truck could get me out it was a tow truck or a farmers tractor. When your a kid the cost for either was a killer.

IMG_0488.jpeg

I have had good luck with the nokian outpost at on my diesel. Toyo at3 been good for me on the tacoma. falken at3 will go on the rav4.

Agreed, the michelin ltx is great, just doesn't look great.

Yeah we are talking apples and oranges. I had a set of 17”x40”x16.5 rims Monster Mudders. Those were some mud tires. The only problem was when I got stuck no other truck could get me out it was a tow truck or a farmers tractor. When your a kid the cost for either was a killer.

View attachment 114587
Damn does this bring back memories! My buddies and I all ran either Monster Mudders or Groundhawgs on all of our mid seventies Chevys. Anywhere from 36s to 44s. Miss those rigs!

I just put a set of west lakes on my dually before heading to Georgia for the jr high finals. Happy with them so far. They are just a AT tread. 170 a tire. I run them on my semi trailers too.

Michelin LTX A/T2​

Just put my third set on my pathfinder. No complaints for traction in snow and mud. The tread life is awesome. 125K put on the first two sets which were both replaced before the tread life was up. (All from Discount Tire)

Just my opinion and experience for what it is worth. When I started they had killer ratings from consumer reports

Last edited:
I ran Michelin XPS Tractions for years on 3/4 ton trucks. They wore great, are nice off road. They do "walk" a little on the freeway, but not bad. They can be on the pricey side. Last sets of AT tires on half tons have been KO2s, which have been good.

We ran Buckshots on our Jeep. Excellent traction, wear and grip. They were a great tire for around town and around the mtn on a light vehicle.

Well let’s just go way back. Who remembers anyone that was serious about mudding running the old military tires? At least that’s how it was in the south, which is where I’m from.
That's a great place to be from.

It's definitely better to be from the south than going to the south.?

Another Tire Story!

When Homer Was young He Finally Got His Drivers License!

And He Was Out To Impress The Ladies!

He'd Just Put A New Set Of Tires On His Chick Magnet!

As A Junior In High School He Was Leaving The School Yard One Afternoon And Noticed A Gal Walking Home that He'd Had his Eyes on!

Pulls Up To The Side Of Her & Asked If She Wants A Ride?

Well Maybe,Well I Guess So,She says ,Can You Take Me Home?

Well Sure I'll take You Home!

Just Leaving School Premises He's Gonna Impress The Lady!

Opens It Up & Them Rear Tires Are Screaming!

Smoke Flying!

Every Corner Homer Takes He Fryin Them Tires!

He Finally COOLS His CRAP For A Minute!

She Looks Over At Him & Says:

My GAWD I'll Bet You're Hard On Tires!

He Looks Over With That CUPSY Grin & Says:

I'll Bet It Doesn't!:D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom