Where’s the 1st Season elk thread excitement?

NW winterkill sucked some of mine out. I'm usually bouncing off the walls right now- the weather blowing in tomorrow and Thursday should give the NW hunters a pretty good idea if there are any or many animals around. Actually I am still kinda bouncing off the walls even though I won't have a tag and I am mentoring a biggame newby.
Good luck everyone!!

Curious if you guys that hunt the 1st hunt often typically catch some rut action the beginning of the hunt?
We usually do, but the bugling stops with the 1st volley of gun shots which is usually 5-20minutes before legal shooting light and anything you hear after legal shooting time is human generated. Then you might hear a few in the middle of night. I would never use a bugle in 1st season and only use my cow call sparingly - But that is me in the flattops.

Think it could be a barn burner with how late things have been this year with the rut. Spent the the last couple days on the mountain guiding a moose hunt and the bulls were absolutely going nuts..
I completely agree, could be an absolute massacre. Supposed to have a little weather this weekend with snow in the high country. Lining up to be great for the 1st rifle crowd

I’m getting ready to pack into a drop camp in a unit that took me 7 points to draw tomorrow morning. Hopefully they’ll still be bugling. It’s been chilly and snowing all day here in Leadville and the weather for the hunt looks good for the hunt dates. Hopefully I’ll have a good update with photos by the 20th.

I’m getting ready to pack into a drop camp in a unit that took me 7 points to draw tomorrow morning. Hopefully they’ll still be bugling. It’s been chilly and snowing all day here in Leadville and the weather for the hunt looks good for the hunt dates. Hopefully I’ll have a good update with photos by the 20th.
Good luck man!

I bet it’s going to be good. My buddy hasn’t reported a whole lot. But any day out in that country is worth it.

Hope you all had fun!

IMG_4742.jpeg

You would never know the flattops had decreased the tags. Thousands of disappointed hunters as usual. We did just fine, but I hate seeing herds of cows with only 1 or 2 calves. The road to recover is several years ahead.

Got home from my first season elk hunt late Friday night, so I figured it was time for an update.

Packed into our drop camp on the Friday before the opener with limited scouting time, so we spent that afternoon trying to glass the tree line area for elk and listening bugles with no luck.

Day 1 of the hunt we both made wide loop to the east and west of camp and found no fresh sign above camp, which was at 11,200’, with about 6” of fresh snow. When looping back below camp level we started to find some fresh sign, but neither one of us saw any elk.

Day 2, we each headed out to check on and sit on so meadows we had located the day before. Neither of us had any sightings of elk that morning, but I found some decent sign on my side of camp. That afternoon about 5 pm I had two cow elk enter the opposite end of the meadow at 300 yards ( ranged ). While watching them, I noticed another cow entering the meadow at about 150 yards. When I first saw her, she appeared to be looking right at me. I held tight and after a few moments she relaxed and started feeding. Then 7 additional cows and calf’s slowly entered the meadow. At about 6 pm, I caught a glimpse of antlers coming through the trees from where the cows had entered the meadow. As the bull entered the meadow he lowered his head and let out a nice long bugle. He turned to his right to approach the nearest cow and I wasted no time placing a 150 grain nosler partition behind his shoulder. He wheeled back to his left, so I hit him again. I chambered my third round, but it wasn’t needed and down he went. I watched him for a couple of minutes to make sure he wasn’t going to get up and then walked over to my bull. He’s a 6 X 6, with a very small 6 th point on his left side, but I was delighted with him to say the least.

From that day on neither of us saw any more elk the rest of the hunt, so my buddy never got any opportunities. Overall, I would say it was a tough hunt, being a first season hunt. We were unable to turn up any more elk even though we are both experienced elk hunters, however the wind seemed to be blowing heavily both day and night which might have contributed to the lack of game movement. Hope everyone else did well, enjoy the photos, not a huge bull, but good enough for me. The dark spot next to the gun barrel was the entry wound from the first shot and the blood stain to the right is the exit wound from the second shot.

IMG_1833.png

IMG_1831.png

IMG_1829.png

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

Got home from my first season elk hunt late Friday night, so I figured it was time for an update.

Packed into our drop camp on the Friday before the opener with limited scouting time, so we spent that afternoon trying to glass the tree line area for elk and listening bugles with no luck.

Day 1 of the hunt we both made wide loop to the east and west of camp and found no fresh sign above camp, which was at 11,200’, with about 6” of fresh snow. When looping back below camp level we started to find some fresh sign, but neither one of us saw any elk.

Day 2, we each headed out to check on and sit on so meadows we had located the day before. Neither of us had any sightings of elk that morning, but I found some decent sign on my side of camp. That afternoon about 5 pm I had two cow elk enter the opposite end of the meadow at 300 yards ( ranged ). While watching them, I noticed another cow entering the meadow at about 150 yards. When I first saw her, she appeared to be looking right at me. I held tight and after a few moments she relaxed and started feeding. Then 7 additional cows and calf’s slowly entered the meadow. At about 6 pm, I caught a glimpse of antlers coming through the trees from where the cows had entered the meadow. As the bull entered the meadow he lowered his head and let out a nice long bugle. He turned to his right to approach the nearest cow and I wasted no time placing a 150 grain nosler partition behind his shoulder. He wheeled back to his left, so I hit him again. I chambered my third round, but it wasn’t needed and down he went. I watched him for a couple of minutes to make sure he wasn’t going to get up and then walked over to my bull. He’s a 6 X 6, with a very small 6 th point on his left side, but I was delighted with him to say the least.

From that day on neither of us saw any more elk the rest of the hunt, so my buddy never got any opportunities. Overall, I would say it was a tough hunt, being a first season hunt. We were unable to turn up any more elk even though we are both experienced elk hunters, however the wind seemed to be blowing heavily both day and night which might have contributed to the lack of game movement. Hope everyone else did well, enjoy the photos, not a huge bull, but good enough for me. The dark spot next to the gun barrel was the entry wound from the first shot and the blood stain to the right is the exit wound from the second shot.

View attachment 123731

View attachment 123732

View attachment 123733

View attachment 123734

View attachment 123735
Nice bull and good write up!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom