Where would you put in for?

P

Pulverizer

I have max deer points going into the 2011 draw. Knowing that, where would you guys put in for and why? Must be public land as I am a poor working stiff.

Thanks,

Steve

Pulverizer You might want to hold on those points. The game and fish might be changing things around for deer by limiting tags in certain units or regions and if you can hold on for a couple of years you could be in the running for a top unit or region. I would keep my eyes and ears on them by phone or there web page. Lincoln county is the number one county for big bucks in the state of WY. I think you have to have your application in by the first part of March. I would consentrate on the western part of the state. quest

Pulv--
Might wish to consider quest's advice if it ain't steering you too far from the desire.

Rump

Yeah, maybe. Makes sense though. Any idea what they are thinking of changing?

Thanks,

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-10 AT 07:29AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-10 AT 07:28?AM (MST)

I would imagine it would take more than a couple years to see results from any changes they might make. The fawn count has been down in Lincon county for several years now, so I wouldn't hold my breath, I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for any meaningful changes from WGFD either. In my opinion, 102 is probably as good an area to hunt in WY as there is.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the G&F changing things around. I go to the G&F's spring meetings every year and they don't know year to year what they'll be doing in a particular area until the following spring. More than anything its based on winter herd surveys, forage conditions and winter kill. They keep telling me only a couple area's receive consideration for quality. Everything else is managed based on buck to doe ratio. Their primary objective is maximum hunter opportunity or loosely translated - money. I repeatedly argue to consider factoring quality in on some of these areas. Their idiot biologists keep telling me that's not what Wyoming hunters are telling them they want. In 15 years, I've never been to a meeting where someone has stood up and said I want more chances to shoot a forkhorn. You can find what your looking for on the G&F website lookng at draw stats and harvest stats...

Triple_BB, while I agree a few units should be managed for quality trophies, the vast majority should be managed for opportunities and the health of the entire ecosystem. I'm a hunter that, for 99% of the time is looking for opportunity to harvest an animal for the thrill of the hunt and for consumption. Antlers/horns don't matter. Maybe I'm in the minority though, who knows.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom